USS Constitution by Hipexec - FINISHED - Constructo - 1:82

This will be my first attempt at uploading a picture, so bear with me here. This is a picture I copied from Frank Mastini's Ship Modeling Simplified that shows a Mast-stepping jig that might help.

Cheers

post-12186-0-69673600-1413648971_thumb.png

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks to all of you who suggested using painted paper instead of real brass for the mast reinforcements.....well done! The paper supports might not be the best,,,but when I clean them up, they'll look just fine. Thank you all again! In this picture they still have drying glue,hanging bits  etc

post-4214-0-40892000-1413777415_thumb.jpg

I've been amazed at all the parts people on here use manila folder type paper for Rich, it's been a real eye opener, and I'm sure I'll be using some of that technique myself before too long.

The mast looks great.

Greetings Hipexec,

According to Longridge's book on his model of the Victory, the mainmast is vertical but the main and mizzen masts rake aft as follows: mainmast .478" to the foot, mizzen .852" to the foot. This equates to 4' and 7' per 100 feet respectively according to Longridge. Note that Longridge's model was taken directly off of the original 1765 drawings and the drawings from her 1922 restoration.

wq3296

They look fine Rich.

:pirate41:

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

While I'm finishing the masts, I looking ahead at rigging and ran into this kind of problem:

One Constructo drawing shows four stays for the upper main mast, then in the rigging plan Constucto shows five stays and on an official drawing for the Constitution it shows six. 

post-4214-0-76458500-1413842990_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-19124400-1413843002_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-21704100-1413843014_thumb.jpg

The Mamoli plans show 5, 5, and 4. This agrees with the current photos of the ship as well as the rigging plans for the 1927 refit. I just checked the AOS and it also has the same scheme.

Edited by robnbill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

I can only say that from all of the docs I've read so far, the general idea that I've come away with is to rig as much off the hull as you can before belaying. I suppose you could hang the pendants, shrouds and stays before mounting the masts. I'd label all of the lines as you go though.

But don't just take my word for it though. Hold off for a few more responses before starting because the other guys here might have a better method.

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

This is my first build so I have vacillated over how to approach this myself. What I have done is to attached the shrouds to the masts and the upper shrouds to the fighting tops. I have attached and run all of the standing rigging for the bowsprit, other than those running to the masts. My plan is now to attach the lower stays for the Mizzen and work my way back forward per the TFFM. I have tried to add all the hooks, rings, blocks etc that I could possibly do before installing the masts. This is just my two cents. I have read of other highly successful builds that went from bow to stern, stern to bow and everything in between. I just had to pick a method and follow it. The TFFM suggested stern to bow so that is how I am going to build this one. The next one I may decide differently based upon this build.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

There was one thing I forgot to mention. In the reference material I've read, when it comes to belaying the Fore, Main, and Mizzen stays, they said it was better to start with the Fore, then go aft and do the Mizzen, before doing the Main stays. Doing it that way decreases the likelihood of pulling the masts out of alignment during the tensioning process. They really stressed the point of consistently checking the alignment throughout the rigging process.

But as I said, getting a number of opinions will be a good thing.

Fair Winds

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

George & Bill, thanks for your advise. I shall read a lot more before I get in over my head. Rigging my first build was easy since I have many years experience sailing fore & aft rigged sailboats. This Constitution might as well be from Mars. I have no natural instincts for this kind of sailing vessel. 

Rich,

Just my two cents; I would try to do as much off ship as you can. The tiny bit of rigging I have done to date seems to indicate that's the best method ( at least for me)

Like the others who commented I'll be watching and learning with you.

As I get closer to the real rigging on my build I had planed on posting that question in the rigging forums - unless I found somebody beat me to it!!!!;) ;) ;)

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

I just put a coat of varnish on the masts. Constructo's instructions for the standing rigging are not too detailed at this point. I'll be looking at your builds for guidance. Constructo wants me to permanently glue the masts at this stage. I'm holding off for now. 

post-4214-0-78732300-1414042521_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-44375000-1414042536_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-77509600-1414042547_thumb.jpg

Rich,

What ever you want to do it's your decision.....if you do the rigging when the mast is on the ship or next to it.

I'll do it when the mast is on the ship.....

First the lower part of the mast till the fighting top,

For the next ship, I'll be starting with the stays between the masts.

Then you have space enough to play with the ropes.

The shrouds has to be served for a part at the top.

Be sure when you make the shroud that they are in one line with the chains where the lower deadeye is attach.

Good luck with the rigging !

Sjors

Rich, I wouldn't glue the masts in. The shrouds and stays will hold them in place later and you can adjust the mast angles as you add them.

I also tend to rig with the masts installed. I do add all the blocks and other fittings to the masts, but put the shrouds on with the masts in place. It's your call though.

I too have decided NOT to glue my masts in. If you look through the threads there is a large amount of discussion on gluing or not. Basically the argument not to glue is the standing rigging will hold the masts in place, just like on the real ship. By not gluing you are able to use the rigging to move the masts to the proper position and still be able to adjust them as the rigging mounts to the ship without distorting the masts. The BEST argument for me was - the masts are the most fragile part of the ship and stand to receive damage (if not protected well) over the years. By not having the masts glued in, it will allow future repairs much easier should they need to be done. 

Hopefully they would never occur, but it is insurance.

Your build is going great.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Like some others, I rig as much as I can on the masts and yards off the ship.  Blocks, eyebolts, footropes etc.  But I rig the shrouds on the ship.  I prefer to have the masts set at the appropriate angles and for this I use a light coat of flexible clear silicone caulk which gives some resistance while at the same time being easily adjusted by the rigging.  

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I'd have to agree with Tom, Bill, and Augie about setting the masts. Both options would allow for easy repairs down the road should they be needed. Not using any adhesive would allow for very easy adjustment and removal later if you need to, where the silicone would hold the mast in it's position without being permanently fixed under the deck and still allow for clean adjustment and removal without any damage. I guess it comes down to a personal choice of which method will work for you the best.

Cheers

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Rich, just to confuse you, I've always glued my masts in and have found no reason not to. I like the fact that I can put pressure on them while rigging without having to worry about movement. I like the stability.

Bob

It looks like I can't make a mistake with gluing or not gluing the masts. Both ways seem to work. I like the silicone idea when I finally do glue them. Thanks everyone!

Just keep in mind that silicone takes a long time to set but will remain flexible after that.  Cleans off easily with rubbing alcohol if you get any where you don't want it.

Edited by Augie

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

What's the secret to threading line that is almost the same thickness as the hole in the block? Just wetting and twisting the tip of the line is a hit or miss thing. HELP!

As you can see I'm practicing.

post-4214-0-73024800-1414105080_thumb.jpg