USS Constitution by Hipexec - FINISHED - Constructo - 1:82

My shipyard will be closed for a week while the Admiral and I go whale watching in the Sea of Cortez.  "Thar she blows!!"

Edited by Hipexec

I'm back from whale watching and started to make neat the rigging I have already installed. It's very dificult since my fat fingers barely fit in the deck area anymore. I'll neaten up what I 've done before installing any more yards and sails.

post-4214-0-03761000-1423960991_thumb.jpg

That picture looking down the deck is great.  Nice detail work.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Rich, I think that latest pic of yours might be answering a question that's been puzzling me since I started doing the deck things on my Enterprise build.

I still wonder though.

Do ALL the belaying pin holes in the racks that we fit on to our builds have to have belaying pins stuck in them?

From the looks of the rigging plan Constructo gave me....it looks like that is so....but lord knows where all those lines will come from. I'll never be able to rig all that!!!

Certainly every belaying hole has it's use. Since I did not rig sails, I did not have all mine populated. Which is a good thing because I used almost all of the metal belaying pins Mamoli put in the kit. However, I would think even with the sails up there would be open points. given the ability to change points  based on the wind.  It does raise a bit of a question. A sail's sheets would be rigged to both sides but only one would be tight depending on the wind direction. I suppose the other line would be terminated still, just loose I guess.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Rich, I think that latest pic of yours might be answering a question that's been puzzling me since I started doing the deck things on my Enterprise build.

I still wonder though.

Do ALL the belaying pin holes in the racks that we fit on to our builds have to have belaying pins stuck in them?

Here's the belaying pin plan Constructo gave me. It looks like 60% have lines to them. I put pins in all the holes since it was a lot of work to drill all those holes nice and even.

post-4214-0-18441000-1424053304_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-79694500-1424053316_thumb.jpg

Very good build log Rich. I am planing to buy this kit from constructo also. Do you recommend it? or Should I look for this model from other manufacturers?

The fact is that I can get the constructo kit for a very reasonable price and I think the finished model looks very good. 

Edited by juansystem05

Very good build log Rich. I am planing to buy this kit from constructo also. Do you recommend it? or Should I look for this model from other manufacturers?

The fact is that I can get the constructo kit for a very reasonable price and I think the finished model looks very good. 

Come esta,

When finished, my Constructo USS Constitution will be magnificent. Getting there has been a lot of work. Constucto's plans are poor in many areas. Right now I'm rigging the sails with very poor pictorial support. Another area is the wood they supply. While beautiful, Sappele, the dark planks, is extremely difficult to work with. I managed, but with great dificulty. Please feel free to ask me questions as you go along. You might as well take advantage of my work.

Thanks Rich

It might not be suitable for me then. I just went crazy for a moment, I already bought 2 artesania latina kits, the swift and the Dallas cutter and was thinking about buying the USS constitution for a 3rd project.

The reason? It was 140.00 plus shipping but someone else bought it before me. However there is really no point in buying it right now If have two ships waiting for me to build them.

Well I got the square sails permanently attached to the masts. Now for the job of rigging halyards, braces  etc. I bellyed the sails as if a light breeze was blowing from aft just so they didn't hang calm flat. Next I'll rig the spanker with its boom and gaff. Then the jibs. I'll probably leave off the staysails so I can view the intricate deck work better. 

I shaped the sails by attaching them to a screen and blowing them with my Admiral's hair dryer and spraying them with water soluble hair spray

post-4214-0-98300600-1424362512_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-96201500-1424362526_thumb.jpg

I had thought of spraying starch, but the sails with hairspray look good.  I'll use that.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Well, figuring out how to add all the braces, sheets, outhauls, downhauls, etc will be a monumental job for me. The plan calls for many braces to be well outside the hull yet show being belayed to a belaying pin inside the hull. I can't figure out how to neatly go over or around the netting. The various halyards make the most sense to me....the rest reman a mystery that I'll have to solve.

post-4214-0-95942800-1424389767_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-16408900-1424389786_thumb.jpg

The braces are usually run through sheaves going through the hull Rich rather than over the rail.  That's how they get to either belaying pins or cleats on the inner bulwark.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie's right Rich! Especially those fore and main braces. The fore braces will feed through sheaves in the hull next to the main mast, and the main braces will feed through sheaves back next to the rear of the boat davits. If you need a pic you can either check Modeler 12's log, or I can dig my plans out and take a snapshot of those sheaves only. (Have to mind copyright laws)

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I am not George or Augie, but I can show you the Mamoli rigging. The lower braces on the fore were led back to the main mast then down to the deck. The Tack and Clue were fed through the sides of the ship (holes represent sheaves on my scale). The lower main brace went back to the stern Bumpkins.

Also notice on the Clue and Tack rigging, to clear the line over the netting and other obstructions, the line is run through a block strung from the shrouds. This is adjusted until the line runs clear.

Below you can see the Main clue and tack running to the sides of the ship. The Brace you can see running to the bumpkin, From there it goes through the side of the ship and to the aft belaying pin rack.

post-10450-0-38972100-1424440923_thumb.jpg

Here is the Main Brace going into the ship after the bumpkin.

post-10450-0-70655400-1424441385_thumb.jpg

Here you can see the lower Fore Clue and Tack running to the forward bumpkins and aft through the side of the ship. 

post-10450-0-73947100-1424440924_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-38327100-1424441383_thumb.jpg

Notice here that the lines start in a ring on the side then return to the same point, but slightly above before entering the ship at the deck level then to a Cleat. 

post-10450-0-49318700-1424441384_thumb.jpg

Forward

post-10450-0-88804400-1424442077_thumb.jpg

Midships

post-10450-0-04065400-1424442079_thumb.jpg

Herre is a close up on rigging a snatch block to pull the line over to clear the side of the ship before running it down to the deck.

post-10450-0-20158400-1424441382_thumb.jpg

In this you can pick out the Fore Brace running back to the main mast before going to the deck.

post-10450-0-91916600-1424440926_thumb.jpg

There are more examples below. Hopefully this helps.

post-10450-0-82376000-1424440925_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-83210400-1424440927_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-81050000-1424440928_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-88820700-1424440929_thumb.jpg

Bill

Chantilly, VA

This is the best photo I have.  If you look at post #633, in the first 2 or 3 photos you'll see double sheaves passing through the hull planking.  There are 3 sets on each side of the hull and that's where the main braces come in.  

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3371-usf-confederacy-by-augie-ms-164/page-43

Since you are all planked, it would be difficult to retrofit actual sheaves.  But you could simply drill the holes and connect them with a scribed line and get much the same effect.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

That's great Bill.  Between your photos and mine he should get the idea.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I am not George or Augie, but I can show you the Mamoli rigging. The lower braces on the fore were led back to the main mast then down to the deck. The Tack and Clue were fed through the sides of the ship (holes represent sheaves on my scale). The lower main brace went back to the stern Bumpkins.

Also notice on the Clue and Tack rigging, to clear the line over the netting and other obstructions, the line is run through a block strung from the shrouds. This is adjusted until the line runs clear.

Below you can see the Main clue and tack running to the sides of the ship. The Brace you can see running to the bumpkin, From there it goes through the side of the ship and to the aft belaying pin rack.

attachicon.gifConstitution Rigging Examples 5.jpg

attachicon.gifConstitution Rigging Examples 1 (1).jpg

Here you can see the lower Fore Clue and Tack running to the forward bumpkins and aft through the side of the ship. 

attachicon.gifConstitution Rigging Examples 6.jpg

attachicon.gifConstitution Rigging Examples 2 (1).jpg

Notice here that the lines start in a ring on the side then return to the same point, but slightly above before entering the ship at the deck level then to a Cleat. 

attachicon.gifConstitution Rigging Examples 3 (1).jpg

Forward

attachicon.gifConstitution Rigging Examples 2 (2).jpg

Midships

attachicon.gifConstitution Rigging Examples 1 (2).jpg

Herre is a close up on rigging a snatch block to pull the line over to clear the side of the ship before running it down to the deck.

attachicon.gifConstitution Rigging Examples 4 (1).jpg

In this you can pick out the Fore Brace running back to the main mast before going to the deck.

attachicon.gifConstitution Rigging Examples 2.jpg

Thirteen pictures are worth a thousand words....thank you so much!

Sorry I didn't get back sooner Rich. Tied up for a while. Here's a couple pics of sheave locations taken from my plans. The main brace is like the ones Bill has shown, and look just like what's in the pics Augie shows. The fore brace, also P/S, is run through blocks tied to the main stay, just under the main top platform, then down to the pin rails next to the main mast.

post-12186-0-06943800-1424450544_thumb.jpg

post-12186-0-74142900-1424450556_thumb.jpg

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Progress is going to be very, very slow while I figure our exactly how to rig all these lines. I really need to see a picture of how a block is attached to a shroud so the line doesn't hang on the hammock nets. Drilling holes is difficult for me to bring myself to do, but I probably will create sheaves.

I took the simple approach and just tied it to the shroud where I wanted it to be. Then I touched it with a bit of glue to hold it there. It will need to be in board of where you want it to be since it will move out board once the line goes through it. You will have to play with the length of it. The longer it is, thehigher in the shrouds it has to hang.

Edited by robnbill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Thanks, Bill

I took the simple approach and just tied it to the shroud where I wanted it to be. Then I touched it with a bit of glue to hold it there. It will need to be in board of where you want it to be since it will move out board once the line goes through it. You will have to play with the length of it. The longer it is, thehigher in the shrouds it has to hang.

Here I'm putting some wind in a jib. Rigging the jibs makes easy sense to me. The rest of the rigging still remains a mystery.

post-4214-0-71611500-1424646308_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifConstitution Rigging Examples 5.jpg

attachicon.gifConstitution Rigging Examples 1 (1).jpg

attachicon.gifConstitution Rigging Examples 6.jpg

attachicon.gifConstitution Rigging Examples 2 (1).jpg

attachicon.gifConstitution Rigging Examples 3 (1).jpg

Forward

attachicon.gifConstitution Rigging Examples 2 (2).jpg

Midships

attachicon.gifConstitution Rigging Examples 1 (2).jpg

attachicon.gifConstitution Rigging Examples 4 (1).jpg

attachicon.gifConstitution Rigging Examples 2.jpg

My apologies, but I do not believe that your descriptions of the rigging in these pictures is accurate.  The braces run as you described (from the ends of the yards aft.  In your pictures you can see the cluster of three blocks at about the midpoint of each side of the yard.  The upper one is the clue, the lower forward is the tack, and the lower aft one is the sheet.  The sheet runs down and aft through sheaves in the hull, while the clew runs up to the yard through another block inboard and then down to the deck at the base of the mast.  The curious tackle hanging from a very long pendant attached at the yardarm and guyed in by a leading block attached to the shrouds I can only describe as a yard tackle.  It really has nothing to do with sail handling and would be rigged as such to lift objects on and off the ship.

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

My apologies, but I do not believe that your descriptions of the rigging in these pictures is accurate.  The braces run as you described (from the ends of the yards aft.  In your pictures you can see the cluster of three blocks at about the midpoint of each side of the yard.  The upper one is the clue, the lower forward is the tack, and the lower aft one is the sheet.  The sheet runs down and aft through sheaves in the hull, while the clew runs up to the yard through another block inboard and then down to the deck at the base of the mast.  The curious tackle hanging from a very long pendant attached at the yardarm and guyed in by a leading block attached to the shrouds I can only describe as a yard tackle.  It really has nothing to do with sail handling and would be rigged as such to lift objects on and off the ship.

Hi Henry

I don't want to hi-jack this thread but, just for my own curiosity, how accurate do you think the MS plans for the Connie are? They seem very detailed and well done, but we all know, shortcuts are taken in the design of these models. 

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif