USS Constitution by Hipexec - FINISHED - Constructo - 1:82

I've got the jibstays half done. I knocked my model crooked in its cradle so it looks like she's charging on a larboard tack.

post-4214-0-28233800-1425487782_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-55326300-1425487795_thumb.jpg

The jib sails are fastened to the stays with hanks or loops through the edge of the sail so they can slide up and down the stay. I can't explain it as well as a picture can.

attachicon.gifIMG_0167.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0169.JPG

Can you post the prints for the Connie's "spanker". Constructo's plans are very poor.

Rich the first pic shows the Spanker and Gaff Topsail and the second shows the rest of the text you can't see in the first, and the second shows the Main and Mizzen Staysails and the Headsails. Hope it helps.

Cheers

post-12186-0-26123800-1425563618_thumb.jpg

post-12186-0-71741500-1425563633_thumb.jpg

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I'm stopping rigging the square sails while I rectify the Constructo omission of not telling me I needed jibstays. I should have known better since I sailed for several decades on modern fore & aft rigged boats. They all had jibstays.

I placed a rubber absorbent mat under my work area to "catch" fallen tiny hanks. I dropped most of them and it caught all but one. Goodness knows where all these little dropped parts disappear to.

Now that the brass hanks are on the jibs...I shall attempt to install jibstays.

Hola Rich:

One thing that have been very helpful for me in finding little things that were dropped on the floor is using a good flashlight.  Put the room lights off and use the flashlight to "explore" the floor.  Its incredible the things you can find.

Saludos, Karl

Rich, it beats me why Constructo didn't give decent instructions for installing the sails on your Constitution.  My Constructo Enterprise instructions show little brass rings for the standing jib, jib, flying jib and staysail, and the stays are there to hang them on.  Maybe they just thought anyone rash enough to take on the Constitution would be wise enough and experienced enough to just know?

I'm loving this build log.  Lots of intriging little tips and hints to squirrel away in my disorganised mind, some of which have been useful already, some which (I hope) I'll remember later when the time comes.  In particular, I shall certainly be trying the 'hair-dryer plus hairspray' technique with the sails!

And your Connie's looking great.  I especially like the picture where you heeled her over a bit.  One can easily see, with the mind's eye, the 'bone between her teeth' at the bows!

Incidentally, am I right in believing the Enterprise and the Constitution were in action together in the Med, fighting piratic elements emanating from Tripoli, Libya just over 200 years ago?   Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose ...

You're right....Both ships were fighting the tripoli pirates.

Edited by Hipexec

Hola Rich:

One thing that have been very helpful for me in finding little things that were dropped on the floor is using a good flashlight.  Put the room lights off and use the flashlight to "explore" the floor.  Its incredible the things you can find.

Saludos, Karl

I can't wait to get my flashlight and "explore" my shipyard floor. Half my ship should be there.i

Rich the first pic shows the Spanker and Gaff Topsail and the second shows the rest of the text you can't see in the first, and the second shows the Main and Mizzen Staysails and the Headsails. Hope it helps.

Cheers

attachicon.gifIMG_0171.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0172.JPG

Thank....these will really help.

I'm working on the boom and gaff for the spanker while I ponder rigging braces, etc.

post-4214-0-14692100-1425586551_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-52853800-1425586563_thumb.jpg

I'm still distracting myself from completing installing all the braces, halyards, sheets, etc of which I still have very little idea how to proceed while I study all the info you have sent me as well as many rigging books, .....by building the whole spanker sail rig.  I do this everytime I get stuck not knowing how to proceed. Instead of being paralyzed by the lack of knowledge....I just jump ahead to something I think I can do. It's the only way I've gotten this far. Full speed ahead...dam the lack of skill and knowledge...is my motto!

post-4214-0-11667200-1425666998_thumb.jpg

I've rigged the boom, gaff and luff "pole" so all I'll have to do is slip the luff "pole" into a small hole in the deck I made at the aft base of the mizzen mast and slip the top of that pole into a slot I made under the mizzen fighting top and rig the halyards, etc. I'll keep it off the ship until I finish all the other rigging since I need access to the deck area where the spanker will hang

post-4214-0-26576700-1425704690_thumb.jpg

Incredible progress on your ship since I last commented on it. I have been watching and your work is astounding. I appreciate that you decided to put sails on your Connie. Great work Rich!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I temp installed the spanker to see how it fits. I'll take it down to work on the main rigging.

post-4214-0-15648400-1425770783_thumb.jpg

The foremast braces have been installed. My thick fingers kept doing damage as I progressed all of which had to be repaired as I progressed. This is the time for stiletto fingers. The main braces will be twice as difficult. 

The amazing thing is these braces actually work. I can adjust the sails to any angle!

post-4214-0-19749600-1425922730_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hipexec

The amazing thing is these braces actually work. I can adjust the sails to any angle!

Wow, that is impressive. The rigging looks great.

Here's my rigging tools. Thank goodness I have a surgeon friend. He gave me those surgical tools which allow me to reach into the tangle of shrouds and ratlines to fasten lines to the rails. I finished the braces on the main mast. Mizzen next.

post-4214-0-97895500-1425945073_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-01659500-1425945090_thumb.jpg

I finished all the mizzen braces except for the mizzen royal which is braced back to the spanker gaff.

When I started this rigging thing...I had no idea how the square rigged ship sailed. Now....fixing each brace one at a time....it now makes good sense to me. This model ship building is an amazing learning experience.

Without my long gripping tools, I could never have rigged between the main and mizzen, it is such a spider web of shrouds, ratlines, halyards and braces.

post-4214-0-22581500-1426052191_thumb.jpg