USS Constitution by Hipexec - FINISHED - Constructo - Wood - 1:82

I'm still distracting myself from completing installing all the braces, halyards, sheets, etc of which I still have very little idea how to proceed while I study all the info you have sent me as well as many rigging books, .....by building the whole spanker sail rig.  I do this everytime I get stuck not knowing how to proceed. Instead of being paralyzed by the lack of knowledge....I just jump ahead to something I think I can do. It's the only way I've gotten this far. Full speed ahead...dam the lack of skill and knowledge...is my motto!

post-4214-0-11667200-1425666998_thumb.jpg

I've rigged the boom, gaff and luff "pole" so all I'll have to do is slip the luff "pole" into a small hole in the deck I made at the aft base of the mizzen mast and slip the top of that pole into a slot I made under the mizzen fighting top and rig the halyards, etc. I'll keep it off the ship until I finish all the other rigging since I need access to the deck area where the spanker will hang

post-4214-0-26576700-1425704690_thumb.jpg

The foremast braces have been installed. My thick fingers kept doing damage as I progressed all of which had to be repaired as I progressed. This is the time for stiletto fingers. The main braces will be twice as difficult. 

The amazing thing is these braces actually work. I can adjust the sails to any angle!

post-4214-0-19749600-1425922730_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hipexec

I finished all the mizzen braces except for the mizzen royal which is braced back to the spanker gaff.

When I started this rigging thing...I had no idea how the square rigged ship sailed. Now....fixing each brace one at a time....it now makes good sense to me. This model ship building is an amazing learning experience.

Without my long gripping tools, I could never have rigged between the main and mizzen, it is such a spider web of shrouds, ratlines, halyards and braces.

post-4214-0-22581500-1426052191_thumb.jpg

Bill: I believe the anchors at the bow are called "bower anchors" themselves, and the term I think you're looking for is "anchor rode" From what I've read, chain was used as well as cable rope, for the "rode", leaving it to the captain to decide which. 

Edited by GLakie

Sorry, I meant to saw hawser, not bower. The reason I ask was the Connie was not fitted for chain until probably the 1850's. The switchover from hemp to chain required a huge change to the ship including the addition of iron hawse pipes as well as chain lockers etc. The Capstan also had to be modified to handle the chain links. 

Anyway, she certainly has chain now. One reason she still does is the inordinate expense to modify the ship back. There is an interesting article on this at the Museum site. The link is below.

http://156.112.98.23/USSCTour/manuals/ConstitutionAnchorChain.pdf

Well, I failed to also mention it was a period thing, with the chain coming later, but with Constructo's version, I think the focus is the over-all ornate beauty of the ship, being unpainted and with light and dark wood designed for aesthetics, rather than historical accuracy.

It is a beauty.

Bill,

Can you shoot some pics of how you hung coiled lines to your belaying pins? I did what you suggested and ran the lines through the pin holes then re-inserted the pins. Now I want to give the impression of neat coiled lines hanging from each pin.

Here you are. With only a couple of exceptions, I only placed coils where I had rope terminating on the pin rail. The exceptions were on the stern fife rail where I had some open space that I thought needed to be filled. I did not attempt to add enough coils to actually run a line, I also did not want to cover the ship in coils, and I wanted the coils to be similar but not too so.

Of course I made all the coils off the ship. I used the Beeswax/Turpentine mixture to wet them. I wound the requisite number of coils around a dowel then gently pulled it off and shaped it. I made sure that as I shaped the final loop going over the pin, I hid the other end since theoretically the other end was supposed to be up in the rigging somewhere.

Then it was a matter of touching glue to the pin area and lowering the loop over the pin head and shaping how it hung. I did have to use some additional glue behind some of the coils to get them to hang just right.

post-10450-0-10367200-1426254814_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-23046200-1426254815_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-44292100-1426254816_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-47174900-1426254817_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-18230000-1426254818_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-11416900-1426254819_thumb.jpg

post-10450-0-10087500-1426254820_thumb.jpg

Here you are. With only a couple of exceptions, I only placed coils where I had rope terminating on the pin rail. The exceptions were on the stern fife rail where I had some open space that I thought needed to be filled. I did not attempt to add enough coils to actually run a line, I also did not want to cover the ship in coils, and I wanted the coils to be similar but not too so.

Of course I made all the coils off the ship. I used the Beeswax/Turpentine mixture to wet them. I wound the requisite number of coils around a dowel then gently pulled it off and shaped it. I made sure that as I shaped the final loop going over the pin, I hid the other end since theoretically the other end was supposed to be up in the rigging somewhere.

Then it was a matter of touching glue to the pin area and lowering the loop over the pin head and shaping how it hung. I did have to use some additional glue behind some of the coils to get them to hang just right.

Thank you very much! This really helps me.