USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Thanks for that excerpt Richard.  I once had a copy of that book in my library but lent it to a friend.  I still have his History of American Sailing Ships and enjoy re-reading it every now and again.

Would that be Chapelle's book or your friend's? :P :P :P:)

OK Grant ---- you got me on that one.  British subjects are pretty good in their native tongue.  Being born in Brooklyn, I consider English as my second language :D

Alas, both the friend and the Chapelle were apparently Shang-hai'd !

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Sorry Augie - couldn't resist that one. I'll get my coat now and go quietly.......

Augie - I know that you and I speak American which has some similarity to English. But Grant I am sure he speaks Aussie which is by itself altogether different.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Sorry to disappoint you Floyd, but I was born in the UK. I am multi-lingual though - I speak English AND Strine. And I can understand American most of the time! Now let's hand this log back to its owner. ;)

Have been busy making hatches, coamings and gratings for the gun deck.  These are all permanently fixed to the false deck and will be planked around.  I used simple lap joints for the corners.  The gratings were supplied laser cut.  The hatch with the pull rings used eyebolts and separate rings made from fine black annealed wire.

post-56-0-77695800-1403020491_thumb.jpg

The corners were slightly rounded above planking level.  All are basswood and were stained with diluted Golden Oak.  The bottoms were sanded lightly to match the curvature of the false deck.

post-56-0-94570900-1403020681_thumb.jpg

The treenailed platform behind the aftmost grating is for the capstan.

post-56-0-96011700-1403020699_thumb.jpg

Just behind the foremast hole you'll see the coaming for the stove's platform.  This has not been set permanently on the deck as we now need to create a 'bricked platform' .  We'll take a closer look at this later on (after I figure out how to do it) .

Hope everyone is well and prepared to have some grog to celebrate the coming solstice :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Looking really good, Augie.  I like that color choice for the deck furniture.  Very 'warm" without being "fake" looking.

All the best for a successful summer of fly fishing (maybe even a little bit of fish catching???)

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Very nice work as always Augie.  She's coming along very nicely!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Looks great Augie, I am with Wayne and Mike , well done

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hi Augie, very nice work there. Then it's on to more fun planning the deck.  :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Looking good Augie,

The brick hearth is actually pretty easy to make, it's the painting of it to look realistic that's tricky but I'm sure you will do fine.

I installed the cabin floor before the rest of the deck planking to ensure a good tight fit, the joint gets hidden under the aft most bulkhead if you do get some gaps, that is if your are going to do the chequed floor of course.

Ben

Very nice indeed Augie. As I recall, Remco did a rather magnificent job of the brickwork for the stove on his Swan class - there may be a few tips to pick up there as well.

Thanks everyone for looking in.  Yes, deck furniture is fun!!!! 

I've got an idea on the brickwork and, compared to the Morgan builds, this should be pretty straightforward except for the brick texture.  Just assembling the sand, clay and lime for the brickworks  :D  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

how 'bout hiring a mason..... it's a small job... shouldn't set you back too much!! :P ( nice work on the deck fittings Augie..look'n good!! )

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Nice work on the furniture, Augie.  I'm loving the colors and workmanship.     Hmm.. brickwork... you can cheat.. goto the hobby shop and get some model railroad brickwork.  Saves you messing with lime, clay, water and oven to bake it all in.   Or make it out of sculpy and then just bake it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Dave - I know this is Augie's log but that is great looking bricks. please tell us more details?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Those do look great Dave! 

Mark --  you know me too well.  I did check out the RR stuff but they have only HO and O scale.  Neither is close enough.  S scale would be the ticket but impossible to find.  I'm going to stick with wood.  Ben is right ---- it's the finish that will be the key. 

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thinking about it, I'm not sure it was proper for me to post pics on Augie's log. So sorry if I was out of line.

The discussion on bricks prompted me to offer a pretty simple solution that worked pretty well for me. Sometimes, we can get so wrapped up in our use of wood we tend to overlook other materials laying all around us. I guess I've used poster board and construction paper in more ways than I can count.

I'm sure Augie's brick platform will be a knockout like everything else he does.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

No problem from my end Sawdust.  Besides, the photo came with a great idea!  Nice job on the stove by the way.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

So Augie... wood or sculpy for the bricks?    Enquiring minds and all that.....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Augie,

Clean and crisp !

I don't expect something else from you ....

And you can figure it out with those bricks....I know for sure !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif 

Augie, I really like your gratings! It may be just perception, but on your image they look like they are made out of one piece?? Normally most gratings are made out of these "comb"- like parts which fit into each other and once assembled make out the grating. Did you use the same technique?

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Again Augie.....more superb work with the grates!   I'm sure that your method with the brick work will be a winner!  I totally agree that there are thing that can be found........craft stores may have something you can use.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Augie, I really like your gratings! It may be just perception, but on your image they look like they are made out of one piece?? Normally most gratings are made out of these "comb"- like parts which fit into each other and once assembled make out the grating. Did you use the same technique?

Thomas

Be nice to take the credit for the gratings Thomas but I mentioned somewhere that they are supplied as laser cut --- so yes, they are one piece.  The kit actually comes with 2 sets (both 1/16 and 1/32" thicknesses) so I'm saving the leftovers!

Mark -  I'm thinking wood at the moment.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976