USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Hi Augie,

As for upgrading decks to another wood, dont forget to order some sheet stock as well so you can replace the laser cut basswood

margin planks at the same time. ;)  What wood are you ordering? Holly?? Are you upgrading great cabin floor as well?

I would agree with chris on the fancy moldings, much easier and better results with Boxwood, basswood can be a nightmare to use a scraper on if your name isnt Chuck. :)

ben

Edited by Trussben

Floyd ----- patience!

Chris---- Thanks for the complement on Syren.  I can't even imagine scratch building Confed! 

Ben ---   The wood is a secret ----- only Jeff @ HobbyMill knows. :D  :D .  Cabin floor will be as per instructions.  No ebony allowed around here!!!!!

Talk about service, I emailed Jeff the order yesterday and I got a quote this morning.  Little did I know he follows MSW so closely that he knew what model it was for!  There's a man who knows his business :) .

Back to 'the book'

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Augie,

As for upgrading decks to another wood, dont forget to order some sheet stock as well so you can replace the laser cut basswood

margin planks at the same time. ;)  What wood are you ordering? Holly?? Are you upgrading great cabin floor as well?

I would agree with chris on the fancy moldings, much easier and better results with Boxwood, basswood can be a nightmare to use a scraper on if your name isnt Chuck. :)

ben

Furthermore, as the result of your note, Jeff got back to me suggesting an extra sheet.  Of course I said ok.  Yeah, ----- I forgot the margin plank until I got to page 126 of the manual ...... at which point I felt like an idiot (I'm used to that).

So now all is well. 

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks Ben, I will do that.  Wish we hadn't lost part of your log with MSW 1.  But your photos will help a lot.  There is a LOT to look forward to on this build.  I'm looking forward to more progress on your end and I'm sure we will all enjoy Andy's fully rigged version down the line.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

While continuing to psyche myself up for this build, I've been catching up on a few things long overdue.

As many of you are aware, Chuck is now providing (through his Syren Model Company), some beautifully made rigging blocks.  Not to be outdone, Gjdale in his Victory log gave us a nice tutorial on how to scratch our own blocks. 

This reminded me that, buried somewhere in the shop for the last 5 years, is a MS 'Blockbuster' which I picked up on sale for about $8 and never evaluated:

post-56-0-42315700-1377625651_thumb.jpg

It's a pretty simple device consisting of a plastic jar, some laser cut plywood that assembles quickly into a mandrel, a shaft and some sandpaper.  I replaced the supplied sandpaper with 150 grit having a self adhesive backing.

Not really expecting it to work, I tossed in some left over 3/32" and 1/8" blocks and gave it a whirl (6 minutes) on my drill:

post-56-0-52477700-1377625858_thumb.jpg

The 4 blocks across the top line are typical untreated blocks (no extra charge for the off-line holes).  The lower half dozen are after treatment.  As one can see, there has actually been some improvement in appearance.  And it sure beats trying to hold these little fellows and having a go with a sanding block.

I am by no means advocating this device but I have seen several mentions of it without any 'review'.  At the right price, it's worth having around as a quick and simple way to improve kit-supplied blocks.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

You have gotta be kidding me Sjors, I'm having enough trouble with making my rope server and you want me to make you some blocks. Now you make my temperature go up.  :o  :o

All I can say is that if you send me the blocks you want treating I will send you back some sawdust, not on my radar just yet. :piratetongueor4:   

We can discuss terms when you come and pick your Aggy up. :P  :P:D  

It's a simple system Augie and it does make the stock block better, have you played with the timings at all or did you just take an educated guise and would you change the timing. :mellow:

Looking forward to the 1st September, gonna be watching

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I was just getting a rough idea Mobbsie.  Would need to play with grit sizes and timing if I decide to use it for real.  Not much rigging to do on Confed --- except for the gun tackles :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Augie,

Nice to see you thinking ahead on how to improve the kit blocks.

When I made my block tumblers, I made three of them with different grits (180, 400 & 600). I find that spinning the blocks for three minutes each in the coarser two and five minutes in the finest one, produces a really nice finish without having any disappear in a pile of sawdust. You could try using your existing device as a template for making some more canister bodies. Either PVC plumbing pipe, or cardboard mailing tubes are a good starting point for this.

Of course, you could always simply replace your kit blocks with some from Chuck instead.........................just sayin'. :)

(Sent from Winchester, UK)

Today, 29-August-2013, we begin construction. :champagne:

The first photo summarizes the early steps which are still in progress.

The bulkhead former is supplied in two sections having a combined length of approx. 30".  It is necessary to join these and assure an arrow straight backbone.  The two lengths were aligned and epoxied together between 2  weighted glass sheets.

The next step was to pre-bend a 1/8 x 1/16 strip around the bow section.  This 'rabbet strip', which will carry back right through the stern, is 1/2 the width of the bulkhead former and serves as the basis for the rabbet.  This is Chuck's method and I've used it in the past with good success.  The pre-wet strip is seen drying at the bow in the photo.

Also depicted is the dry fitting of the laser cut stem pieces.  They will be sanded, pre-stained and joined prior to final sanding and tapering toward the bow.  As this assembly will be a natural finish rather than paint, the joints have been highlighted in #2 pencil to accentuate them.

post-56-0-07742200-1377791688_thumb.jpg

I'll pick this up once the rabbet has been carved and the stem tapered.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Way to go Augie!   I ordered my kit a few days ago, hope Expo gets it to me in about a month.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Edited by cookster

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

So Augie,

When I tell Anja that you started her she was saying…..it's not the first of September  :P

But for me you've could start with her 4 days ago  :D

The first picture and I think I have also the first question…...

The rabbit strip has that any purpose?

Stupid question maybe……but I know a rabbit line but this is new for me.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Sjors --- this is Chuck's way of creating the rabbet....just like on Syren.  There will be another plank below that 1/8 x1/16 that I just glued on.  Then, when the bulkhead former is tapered toward the keel, it forms a uniform, neat slot which is the rabbet.  The garboard plank sits neatly in that rabbet.  It's a lot easier to see then to explain so give me a few days and I'll try and post a close up of it.  In the meantime, you keep getting better!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Knowing that I should be home in 4 days... and seeing you start construction..... this is making it really hard..... :wacko:  :blink:

I just need a model ship fix of some form and I'll be ok.....

Just have to tell myself to breathe........

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Augie,

Good start...... :D

Be happy that your build log is here since you would be banished from RatlineWorld.....if you were to log the build there.... :P :P :P

Cheers,

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Augie - I know what you mean about Chuck's approach to the rabbit. It is so obvious and so good I wish I had seen it before. When I was cutting the rabbit on my MS Bluenose I cut all the way thru twice!. This method gives you a perfect slot and guaranteed to be uniform, and almost no cutting required.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Augie,

I shall wait patiently for the update by pictures but thanks in the mean time for the little explanation !

I don't understand a word of it but that's because i'm grey…...

And yes , I feel better !!!!!!!! and better!!!!!!!!!and better!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe  soon i tie a few ratlines…..

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

The first of September must have seemed an eternity away! It seems I'm not the only one who can't wait between builds!! Off to a great start Augie

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hi Augie,

Just catching up, I'm pleased to see your Confederacy built up and running, Sir, nice work on the blocks there :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Grant ---- it's hard to keep up with your globetrotting itinerary.  Suffice to say that I hope you soon arrive at a proper city....... like London  :D  :D !

London next Wednesday Augie - pics at eleven! :)

Hi Augie, better late than never, and it looks like I arrived just in time. Great start on your new "gal". I'll be watching intently. I do have a question. I read earlier in your log that you steam ironed your plans to get rid of the creases. How did you do that?

Richard

Edited by kscadman

Current Build - U.S. Syren

2nd Build - HMS Bounty Launch

When organizing your thoughts, never use the Dewey Decimal system.

Augie, you toad, there's me patiently waiting for the 1st Sept and I find you have already started. :blink: Good job I reserved my seat. :D

Brilliant method for the rabbit, takes a lot of the risks away from making mistakes and it's going to give a nice neat finish. :)  :)

Just one question mate, do you have to adjust the stem at all account for the additional strips. ?

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Augie, you toad, there's me patiently waiting for the 1st Sept and I find you have already started. :blink: Good job I reserved my seat. :D

Brilliant method for the rabbit, takes a lot of the risks away from making mistakes and it's going to give a nice neat finish. :)  :)

Just one question mate, do you have to adjust the stem at all account for the additional strips. ?

mobbsie

YIKES!  You've caught me with my proverbial pants down on this one, Mobbsie.  I defer to Chuck (as Designer in Chief) to comment.  He does the thinkin' -- I just do the buildin'.  :o

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Boy, having no internet to speak of for the last week has put me on the back row looks like. Perhaps Augie, you could be bribed with tonight's dinner for a front row seat???.....

post-3041-0-82917900-1377972788_thumb.jpg

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Dinner looks great - and the start on the Confed is very nice as well!

Newly landed here in Maine this week - odds about 1 in 50 million of finding something like this (and no, I did not find it...).  Live, but looks half-cooked!  Donated to the Lobster Research Institute.

post-18-0-33695900-1377972998_thumb.jpg

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus