USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Absolutely wonderful work Augie.  That planking is just a pleasure to look at.    Sorry the Broncs looked like they took my teams strategy for showing up to big games =(

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

wow Augie you have progressed a lot since I last looked in

very very nice planking :)

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Augie

You have certainly mastered the art of planking… a flawless, perfect hull.  Great work!  And thanks for taking the time to explain your process in so much detail.  I’m sure I speak for many of us here when I say that it is greatly appreciated.  What a difference this will make when I plank my next hull!

Wolf

Current build : San Francisco II (AL)

• 2 weeks later...

All is looking good Augie, glad to see your progress. Hope all is well with you.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

sessions at the tanning salon don't take that long Augie  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

He Augie,

You telling me at the beginning of this week that you will be back at the table.

Now it takes another week ?????

Take your time my friend, I will wait !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

We can always count on our dearest friend Sjors - the perfect example of patience!!!!  Pffffft

Wayne,

Per Sjors... it's Pffffff  not Pfffffft.    He taught me well..  :mellow:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Lesson well learned Mark.

Now you can say that you can speak a little Dutch ! :D

Augie,

The wood of the planking you are using is Basswood.

Did you give it already a layer of something ?

Or is it just natural ?

Anja is looking around for wood for planking when she started the Hannah ( it takes some time before she wil get started on that )

That's just plain basswood Sjors, nothing on it and not sanded yet.  The batch that came with the Confederacy kit is much nicer then what came with Syren from the standpoint of sizing but the edges still need to be trued up and the color is all over the place.  It's also fairly soft.  If I were buying wood to replace it for hull planking I'd go for boxwood. 

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks Augie,

Now we have to see what boxwood is in Dutch  :P  :P

According to google translate it is "palmhout", pffffffffffffffff

Thank you Grant  :D  :D  :D  :D

It's much easier for me if someone else is looking it up for me  :D  :D  :D

And what a great forum this is.

Even the people from Down Under are learning Dutch ........Pffffffffffff  :P

And now palmhout !!!!!

Great, great, greatest !!!!!!!

Congrats to Canada.  We're sending 2 cases of beer.  Cheap, American beer.  Pfffffff

Edited by Augie

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Well, we've been back on course now for several days.  The result is that at the 400 hour point (and 6 months on the calendar), we've completed the hull planking.  I'm not completely thrilled with it and a few planking 'rules' were shelved here and there.  But all in all I'm satisfied.

post-56-0-32289400-1393524839_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-51442100-1393524863_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-38021400-1393524879.jpg

post-56-0-04273800-1393524894_thumb.jpg

At this point it's been sanded but no finish applied.  Need to make a decision there so we'll move over to the testing bench.  In 1780, copper plates were not routinely used.  'White stuff' would have been SOP so I'll take a look at that.  Rusty used holly on his lower hull and it gave the light effect nicely.  But having gone with kit-supplied basswood I can look at using a natural stain finish.  Or I may decide to stain to match the upper hull (Admiral's preference).  A lot of touching up to do first on the britework (battle damage).

I'll figure this all out and the next time she's here we should be ready for a step back and relax moment.

Oh, in Ben's Confed log it took him 6 months to reach this point.  Chuck must have built this into the kit (just like he figures everything else out). 

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

you've done a great job my friend !

The hull looks terrific.

And you are satisfied with that, that's the most important thing !

The worst criticus is our self !

I shall wait and see how you finish the hull with a coat of something  :D

Looks great Augie.  I actually think the variations in the wood color show off the excellent planking that much more.  That's just me.  Also I haven't been able to figure out what the rectangular section near the bottom of the hull is.  

Planking looks great, Auggie :D. I am just about finished the port side on mine. What a job!

I will be interested in what you do with the lower planking. I am thinking of just using wipe on poly You are right on the copper. Brits were using it by then but the colonists really did not have any access to plates at that time.

This kit is so much fun. Chuck really did an awesome job designing her.

Best

Jaxboat B)

Very nice Augie, looks great as usual. Look forward to seeing what you decide....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

A tallow/off white underside with the rest of the ship natural would be a nice look. There would still be plenty of that fantasic planking job showing. You can't go wrong either way.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

.......... I'm not completely thrilled with it and a few planking 'rules' were shelved here and there. 

??????? I must be looking at the wrong pictures - looks really nice to me!

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Excellent Augie. Shaved rules or not that came out very nicely. B) 

I also agree that you shouldn't paint it, unless you want to of course. :D 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks to all for the encouraging words.  Nice to have the wind abeam.

Daniel -  I favor the natural variation as well.  The rectangular section on the starboard side is an area left unplanked to display the framing beams.

Jax -- Yes, there sure are a lot of planks on this lady.  Enjoy it ---- it's that much better when it's done :)

Chris --  I'll shoot you a PM.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie,

Great looking planking.  Leave it uncoppered as the 'Merikins didn't use the stuff at that time. If you remember, this was one of the very first and if it hadn't been rotted when the English took her, they would have coppered her.  I think it's in Hahn's book that this was noted by the shipyard where they inspected her.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)