USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Thanks Augie I thought that may be the case but I didn't think the framing beams would be so close together.  Makes sense though.  She must be a very solid ship.  

Edited by DSiemens

I think the tight proximity of the beams on these ships surprises many people.  Check out some of the really nice scratch builds on here like Mark's Licorne 1.0 (using the Hahn method) and you can really see the full effect 'in the bones'.  I have a book on the 'Sailing Frigate' which depicts many beautiful models from the UK and honestly it makes you wonder why they just didn't make the real ships out of a solid piece of oak and cut out what they didn't need!

On Confed that section is the only area done like that for display purpose...... a nice touch I think because it makes the point.  If you jump back to page 12 of this log you can see the construction as well as a photo of Chuck's finished rendition.

Edited by Augie

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie, your Confederacy is awe inspiring. The planking looks outstanding.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I'm a bit late to the party........bit just wanted to drop a line to say how great the planking looks!   totally agree that a staining to match the upper hull would be a great idea.......why cover that wonderful work with paint.   super job Augie.......congratz!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Sorry I'm late on the congrats....... you did an excellent job Augie, she looks perfect!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Great job on the planking Augie. I'd have to agree with the "no paint" vote.

Augie,

She looks very impressive, something to be very proud of.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

The finishing of the lower hull has been completed.  In addition, all of the touching up on the painted areas has been done.

I decided to retain the natural finish of the lower hull.  As I wanted it lighter to contrast the above wale hull, I gave it a coat of Minwax Pre-Stain (I always use this on basswood), one coat of plain 'natural' stain. 2 coats of poly and one coat of dull acrylic.  It actually looks almost untreated but that's what I wanted.  In the photos it's the final one that shows the finished effect.

post-56-0-73216800-1393777258_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-27670300-1393777278_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-56676300-1393777297_thumb.jpg

Thanks to everyone for offering your suggestions on the color.  I'll save the 'white stuff' idea for another model.  The Admiral is steaming but nothing that dinner and a show won't solve.  She has also decided that I'm planning on displaying her 'in the wrong direction ......  again !!  But that's normal.  No sense having those exposed framing beams on 'the wall side'.

Need to add those moldings we made weeks ago and then onto the stern galleries :wacko:

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Rock on Augie,

She looks great my friend, love the colour contrast.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Glad you decided to keep her au natural my friend, she's a credit to you.

Now get that sternpost on and fair the planks into it and then you will have finished the lower planking

That finish has turned out superbly Augie - I really like the effect.  I think John has the right idea re display! 

I like John's suggestion as well.  But keep in mind, he works in a museum!!!!!!

Thanks to all for stopping by.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

That is one SWEET!! looking dame.... :)

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I love it! I have always liked contrast...it gives the eyes more to look at and admire!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Beautiful contrast on the hull, Augie! You're tempting me to try my hand at this one....but with no time and 5 kits on the shelf, I don't think it's in my near future - I'll just admire yours instead!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hey Augie, the finish on your Confederacy planking looks fantastic.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

keep up work like this Augie......and your house WILL be a museum!   looking very nice......love it!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just starting planking myself. Makes me realize what an accomplishment this is. Everyone else has already said it but I will say it again. Beatiful work Augie. I also now understand the concept of battle damage. Having caused a significant amount of my own in working on my Syren. Oh well, two steps forward, one step back.

Charley