USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Great pictures Augie. They really show off what a fine job you are making of this build. Enjoy the fishing after the chores, and watch out for moose! ;)

Yeah!, you did it again...... She's looking better  and better every time you post, like Sherry said those etched parts really add to the look

nicely done Augie, now you can take a breather, and go tend to that funny looking leafy green stuff you've got growing in your garden :D

by the way, I hear it's legal now in Colorado :D :D You lucky people!!!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Very cool and very sharp, Augie.   Don't work too hard outside and do take some time to scare the trout.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

the added accents look great Augie......really shaping up to be a very fine build! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks to all for the comments and likes. 

Dr. Per ---- sent you a PM on wood.

Chris ---- that will work out but you're on your own for the photos that disappeared from MSW.  Didn't keep them over here but I'm sure I used either the 'Make Planking Look Good' lens or the 'Creative Angle to Make Things Look Straight' setting.

Today was first day in 8 months without shop time ---- I MISS her already!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Anja thought that you are meaning that you don't go to a store.........

So I explains to her that you mean the workshop and now she feels sorry for you ......

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Augie, I've bee back in to hospital, but so looked forward to catch up with your build; the ship looks beautifull.  I will continue to make up thebooklet and send the up dated version to you in a couple of weeks.

Best wishes

Jimbob (Richard)

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.

Thanks Jim.  Truly hope all is well on your end.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Those little added bits add so much interest to the hull. I am always amazed by how just a small addition makes things pop and look so much more "real". 

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

I have to agree Robbyn.  Small as they are, they just keep piling up until one day you sit back and a smile finds its' way to your face.  You'll see on Syren once you get the deck down and start working on the fittings and rigging.  What you think is leading toward chaos and confusion is suddenly all done and you'll find yourself saying 'I wish there were more to add'.  Sounds impossible but it's true.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Augie, I have been following your build logs since I joined MSW recently. Your work is simply beautiful and I hope that I can achieve 1/2 of what you have been able to do in the years to come. Now that my Longboat is ready for some metal work, I have a question regarding your Blacken-it procedure. You wrote: "They are then soaked in a bath of 50% 'Blacken-it'. ." Can you tell me what the bath consists of? Thanks, Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Sure Mike.  Blacken-it is a commercially available product.  I've seen it in some hobby stores but it is also available through Micro Mark  :

http://www.micromark.com/SearchResult.aspx?deptIdFilter=0&searchPhrase=blacken+it

I've had good luck using it mixed 50/50 with water, after the pre-treatment I listed.  But it's the kind of thing you need to play with depending on the metal you're using so always test on some scrap before you commit your prized parts.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

After 10 days of doing hand to hand combat with the great outdoors, the shipyard is once again open (on the summer schedule).  I've begun on the planking of the inner bulwarks starting in the stern.  Still need to do some prep work (fillers, sheaves etc.) before we start on the actual bulwarks.

Here's the stern.  The majority of it will be invisible once the upper deck, beams and side planking are in place:

post-56-0-23294300-1398705310.jpg

Good to be back on the job.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Beautiful Boat , very well done I enjoyed looking thru this build log. Excellent work

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Glad to see you back at it Augie,

Have you started to thin down the bulwark framing yet? I remember it took me a few days to get it as thin as Chuck recommended.

Also I would plank the floors of the QG's now before other planking gets in the way, I found it fiddly to get the pieces the right width etc after the waterway and cabin floor were in place.

Hopefully your Spirkiting will line up with the bottom of the gunports like mine did.

Good luck

Ben

Good to see the workshop is open again, Augie.  Nice work on the bulwark planking.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome home Augie. I trust you won the battle with the great outdoors. ;)

Nice to see you back in the shipyard, even if the "summer schedule" means slower progress.......

Thanks for the 'welcome home' and comments, everyone.

BEN-  Yes, the bulkhead thinning has been done.....just have to add those few 'fillers' and fair them in.  Thanks for the tip on the QG floor.  Still a ways off.  Now on the spirkiting,  you KNOW  I already eyeballed it :) .  It's going to be close but I'm sure just enough off to create some angst.  We'll know soon enough!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Bulkhead thinning...yes I know it is awful....but take your time.   Its really important to the overall look of the model.

Beautiful progress Augie!!!

Chuck

Welcome back to your real world!!

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi  Augie, I can't add anything more to what already has been said! Glad you are back at it and

don't you hate those "summer" schedules?  :D

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout