augie

USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - Model Shipways - 1:64 - Finished

I've never found your painting technique to be lacking BE.  I have just had good results using many applications of diluted acrylics (as per Ben).  I've got your log bookmarked when it comes to cannon.  There's a challenge for which you have set the standard.

Happy (?) to report that no fish were harmed during the latest sortie.  Water levels are so high up here one almost feels sorry for the poor things.

Update time!

At the risk of letting the cat out of the bag, I've completed the margin planks and waterways for the gun deck.  As they are to match the decks, I used Swiss Pear 1/16" stock supplied by Jeff from Hobbymill.  Beautiful stuff, cleanly machined.  I used the laser cut, kit-supplied basswood parts as the templates.  Proud to say I now have the beginnings of a scrap box:

post-56-0-25153700-1401986874_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-12990400-1401986894_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-92226300-1401986909_thumb.jpg

Before we get to the actual decking (and Ben's legendary Great Cabin checkerboard floor), there are a number of hatches, gratings etc. that need to be tackled.  These will be next on the docket.

Hope the coming change of seasons will treat you well no matter your hemisphere.

Sweet Augie , shes looking great, Fantastic work . A Scrap box is nice to have ( I have to ogranize mine )

Best Regards,

Pete

SWEET! Love Swiss pear!!

You going to do all deck planking in it? That will look superb! So great cabin in pear/ebony or holly/ebony??

Watch out for the laser cut gratings if you are going to use them as my kit had 2 different thicknesses included, don't use the wrong ones!!

Ben

Edited by Trussben

Thanks all.  I love the color of swiss pear so that's what the decks shall be.  I think it will offer a nice contrast with the exposed beams. 

Thanks for the heads-up on the grates, Ben.  In spite of your kindness, we will not be discussing the floor at this point.  I can, however, guarantee that ebony is not in the running.

Hi Augie:

Just tuning in to your beautiful build of my favorite ship in the world. Makes me want to build her again. Wonderful work indeed. I am looking forward to following your progress from this point.

Hmm.. scrap box.  Scratch built waterways.  The darkside is beckoning you, young Jedi... post-76-0-47135700-1402008425.gif

On a more "on topic" theme... nice work on the waterways and margin planks.  

Nicely done Augie, waterways and margin planks are nicely fitted and the colour look great.

Love to see a moose on the end of a trout fly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep it up mate

Be Good

mobbsie

Scrap box? I have a scrap pile...and scrap box...and a real junk scrap box. Funny thing is.....I wind up rummaging through them all when I have a problem.

Scrap box here...

I haven't been at it long enough to have a pile. But one of these days, Lord willing....

Edited by lambsbk

Very nicely done! 

Right now my scrap box is a small tupperware container that also double as a clamp rack. I have managed to keep my scraps small by forcing myself to go through it before I cut into fresh material. Its growing though as I make far more mistakes than successes.....

Sam

I just did a survey of my scrap piles Believe it or not I have six different piles! Pile one is a tube of recently used wood scraps that sits on my workbench.  Pile 2 is where pile 1 goes when I don't think I need it anymore. Pile three is what's left over from the Constructo provided wood. Pile 4 is leftover cutouts that I use to shape parts. Pile 5 is any and all kinds of junk I think might come in handy one day, and pile six is my garage pile which is a source of last resort.

post-4214-0-75684400-1402105392_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-38643600-1402105403_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-83357300-1402105417_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-96543800-1402105427_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-14850100-1402105484_thumb.jpg

post-4214-0-96721200-1402105496_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hipexec

I've got 3 boxes myself, each 48 x 12 x 8.......but they're full of scrap balsa and spruce for the airplanes --- not much use here!

I've got 3 boxes myself, each 48 x 12 x 8.......but they're full of scrap balsa and spruce for the airplanes --- not much use here!

Does cabinet and furniture scrap qualify? I have a 20'x20' two car scrap box then.  :D

Sam

My scrap has come in real handy at times, sorry to say more often than not so it doesn't build up much, I have 4 tubes with spare planks and dowel and 2 small plastic food take away boxes plus the cut outs.

Be Good

mobbsie

Augie,

I really enjoy following along with your build.

In Chapelle's book, History of the American Sailing Navy. He writes about the confederacy and includes the Admiralty draughts made after it's capture. This is included as part of his discussion of the early continental navy.

He writes "the confederacy was an ornate ship, profusely carved. She was very handsome....she had one oddity in a large vessel of this period: her keel was slightly rockered forward. The Confederacy was described at the time of her capture as being a very fast ship and well built"

Anyway, I ran across this and thought you might be interested.

Richard

Edited by rtropp

Augie,

I really enjoy following along with your build.

In Chapelle's book, History of the American Sailing Navy. He writes about the confederacy and includes the Admiralty draughts made after it's capture. This is included as part of his discussion of the early continental navy.

He writes "the confederacy was an ornate ship, profusely carved. She was very handsome....she had one oddity in a large vessel of this period: her keel was slightly rockered forward. The Confederacy was described at the time of her capture as being a very fast ship and well built"

Anyway, I ran across this and thought you might be interested.

Richard

Thanks for that excerpt Richard.  I once had a copy of that book in my library but lent it to a friend.  I still have his History of American Sailing Ships and enjoy re-reading it every now and again.