augie

USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - Model Shipways - 1:64 - Finished

The brick platform for the stove has been completed.

I decided to create a base for the (individual) bricks inside the coaming.  The base is 1/32" balsa sheet, painted grey:

post-56-0-44918100-1403626819_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-30788200-1403626847_thumb.jpg

3/32 x 1/32" planks were then painted two colors and cut into 'bricks' as seen below:

post-56-0-52914500-1403626966_thumb.jpg

The ends of the faux bricks were touched up and then laid individually:

post-56-0-61403600-1403627062.jpg

It's not perfect,  but I'm pleased.  About 60% of the platform will be covered by the stove itself.

Next on the agenda is the checkerboard floor for the Great Cabin....as per Ben's 'suggestion'.  Though this may require Divine Intervention, I'll give it a shot.

Augie,

I think you are fooling us all....

Those bricks are real ones and not make from wood !!!!!!

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Very nice brick platform!  It came out fantastic.  

In the model railroading space, you can buy printed paper that simulates bricks, and they even have styrene brick patterns that you need to paint.  Your approach looks much nicer in my opinion. :) 

Wow! super job on the brick work Augie, great way to do them ... they look real !

Frank

Thanks all for the comments.  But Frank ...... I'm Italian.  My birthstone is concrete.

NO wonder it came out so good......... I forgot about  the heritage thing... I should've know  :D 

Edited by riverboat

Nicely done Augie, could you send some of those bricks to Rome mate, most of the building are falling down over there.

Keep that high quality coming mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

Well done on the bricks and great tutorial for doing those.   I can't wait to see how your checkerboard deck will turn out.  Probably somewhere between great and fantastic? 

Yes, we must be a bit daft spending inordinate amounts of time on things that will later be mostly concealed.....but we know they're there.

Now, where do I sign for the exchange of bricks for gun carraiges  ?   :)

Great job on the bricks Augie. A little sanding dust in the joints for mortar will really make it pop. As for the checkerboard pattern in the great cabin....I used some glossy finished card stock with good results.

Nice job mate.

Dave

com'on Augie.........you can do the individual tiles.........I did it for the dance floor on the M&M build :)   cutting all those tiles........making sure that they are square.......the painting.  you only have two colors......piece of cake!   :)

I still have some of the tiles........I can send them to ya!  ;)

if your going to use the open concept in there,   as well as clear windows,    you should be able to see them to some degree :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

After considering several methods of creating the Great Cabin floor, I decided to use Chuck's method.  In my experience, doing so is never a bad idea!

The floor will be made from walnut and boxwood 3/16 x 1/32" strips.  A paper template of the area to be covered was made and a piece of 6 x 6 x 1/32" plywood was used as the base.  First, the strips were cut to approximate length and glued to the plywood base:

post-56-0-93687400-1404232611_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-24703300-1404232695_thumb.jpg

The curvature you see is created by the camera.  Next, a jig was made in order to create 3/16" strips to be cut with an Exacto blade:

post-56-0-41644500-1404232827_thumb.jpg

The individual strips were then cut:

post-56-0-71627100-1404232913.jpg

The strips were offset and then edge glued together to create the pattern:

post-56-0-84983900-1404232993.jpg

The paper pattern was then used to cut and sand the floor for a tight fit.  Here's what we got:

post-56-0-40634300-1404233118_thumb.jpg

Finally, just some overall shots.  The floor was finished with natural stain, WOP for protection and Dullcoat to give a flat finish:

post-56-0-09426800-1404233265.jpg

post-56-0-35720600-1404233284.jpg

Although most of the floor will be covered by the (open) upper decking and deck beams, I think we have a nice overall detail.  I'm pleased  :)

Will be closing the shop for the upcoming Holiday festivities (Happy Independence Day to all of my fellow Americans).  When we return, the strains of DECK PLANKING music will be heard in the Rockies.

Oh, we have just passed 600 hours into the build.

Edited by Augie