USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Congrats Aug.....can't believe it's been a year. Looks great as usual. We're in Custer, South Dakota for a couple of weeks. Then we're down into Colorado, New Mexico then eventually home to the ship yard. I think I forgot what the Morgan looks like...keep up the good work, now the fun begins...deck stuff.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Happy Anniversary Augie - I can't believe it's already a year since you started this build! The pear decking looks great and the hooked scarphs........let's just say it's hard to believe this is your first go at them. :)

Nice Augie, real Nice!!... like all the others, I too like the pear, good choice!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Ah.. masterful work from the master... I bow to your excellence in planking.  post-76-0-74910200-1408923069.gif  Ok.. seriously, that is one fine planking job you're doing.  Great choice on wood color.  You got me smiling.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

wow Augie.......the deck looks super! the color looks nice as well :) looks to me....you gave her a very nice anniversary present! ;) not much more to go.......

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

WOW .....what a reception!  Hearty thanks for all those attending the party.  I really appreciate everyone stopping by.

This round of encouragement gives me the shot in the arm I need to soldier on.  Be closing down the workshop in about 2 weeks to take a long delayed vacation......and I'd like to leave her in Bristol fashion.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Augie that is simply splendid work.   Happy Anniversary and :omg:  it has been a year already? That floored me when you said that - wow does time fly by eh?

However, to the issue at hand.  . . LOVE the pear!   I have found pear to be a really nice addition to a ship for trim and accents, never though of decking with it but now I will after seeing yours - fantastic!    Yeah, it can be a little hard - it is the cause for my goign through blades like they are going out of style,  but hey- the final result is worth it right?

WONDERFUL job!! Simply wonderful.

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

WOW, that deck looks absolutely fabulous Augie, and those joints are superb.

Here's to the next year mate, and enjoy your vacation.

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

I love the deck planking Augie. It is beautifully done. My one year anniversary on Essex is next week, so I can appreciate the feelings you must have.

Bob

Excellent work on the planking, Augie! The Swiss pear fits right in to your outstanding Confederacy build! And Happy Anniversary! With my progress on the Syren I am counting not so much individual years but rather decades  :)

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Augie, she is looking so good. Beautiful deck. I'm now considering ripping the deck off my Confederacy and replacing it with pear.

Guess I had better finish a couple of Mayflowers first.

Loving your fine work my friend.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Just realized I hadn't seen the completed deck! All I can say is WOW! That Swiss pear looks awesome, really nice choice on that! I thought it may of been a little dark but it looks great.

Really well done and you are now passing my Confeds build mark which was also just around the one year mark at that point!

Keep going man and you will be finished in another year unless you decide to rig her.

Ben

Auggie

I'm new to MSW but not the hobby of model ship building; spent the last several months reading a number of build logs including yours.  Magnificent workmanship on your model! Thanks for the info on the Micromark mini sander, I get their catalog regularly and have been debating whether that sander was worth the investment; your demonstration convinced me to order it, should be here tomorrow.

Your discussion, I think back on page 54, on plank bending is very interesting to me since it is one area I struggle with; however none of your pictures will display. Can this be fixed ? 

I will be following your build with great interest.

Thanks

Jack

"No one is as smart as all of us"

---------------------------------------------

Completed solo-builds: AL Swift , AL Armed Virginia Sloop, AL Santisima Trinidad Captain's Launch, AL Morgan Whaleboat, Dumas 3/8"=1' Scale model of 41 ft USCG Utility Boat

Completed co-builds: MS Phantom, MS Sultana, MS Morgan, MS Niagara, Amati Lady Nelson, AL Swift (2nd time)

In dry-dock for solo-builds: AL 1798 US Constellation, AL  Marie Jeanne, MS Willie Bennett, MS Picket Boat, Dumas Donzi Z65 Tournament Fisherman (R/C)

Hello Jack.  Thanks for stopping in.

On the photos, I'm afraid those were lost during an MSW glitch earlier this year.  However, I didn't save the originals so I can't replace them.  If you have a specific question I will try to help out.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks Augie ! No specific question, was just trying to see how others do their planking. I've been mostly reading and observing various modelers techniques looking for easier ways of doing things, before I start my next project. If I do hit upon a problem I will definitely stop by and ask for advise.

Jack

"No one is as smart as all of us"

---------------------------------------------

Completed solo-builds: AL Swift , AL Armed Virginia Sloop, AL Santisima Trinidad Captain's Launch, AL Morgan Whaleboat, Dumas 3/8"=1' Scale model of 41 ft USCG Utility Boat

Completed co-builds: MS Phantom, MS Sultana, MS Morgan, MS Niagara, Amati Lady Nelson, AL Swift (2nd time)

In dry-dock for solo-builds: AL 1798 US Constellation, AL  Marie Jeanne, MS Willie Bennett, MS Picket Boat, Dumas Donzi Z65 Tournament Fisherman (R/C)

just checking to see if you've got your latest up yet.............

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Never let it be said that I kept Popeye waiting------

The installation of the gun deck has been completed :D

Just to review (since it's taken so long), the deck is Swiss Pear supplied by Jeff at HobbyMill.  Fantastically uniform material  -- BIG thanks to him.

The planks are all scale length of about 25 feet.  The meeting of the deck planks to the margin planks was carried out using hooked scarph joints.  I received some queries on these:

post-56-0-75023100-1409844322_thumb.jpg

As I came to discover, Swiss Pear is pretty tough stuff but it holds an edge very well.  After going through several Social Security checks worth of Exacto blades, I came up with the following procedure:

A card stock template was carefully fitted into the spot to be filled and, using double-sided tape, attached to the plank.  The outline was then cut using a fine belt on a belt sander.  Takes a steady hand.  Given my aversion to power tools, I was surprised how well it worked.

So here are a series of photos showing the deck from different perspectives:

post-56-0-22395700-1409844708_thumb.jpg

The treenailing was created using the 'drill and fill' method using #75 pin vise drills.  There are about 1200 holes (but who's counting).  The fill material is Hobbylite that I dyed with some acrylic paint to get just a tiny bit of contrast with the deck itself.  The entire deck was finished using the sequence of Minwax Pre-Stain followed by Natural stain, 2 coats of WOP and 2 coats of Testor's Clear Flat Acrylic:

post-56-0-33952400-1409845569_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-32745700-1409844775_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-16835500-1409844790_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-79269200-1409844806_thumb.jpg

A lot of this deck will be obscured by the partial upper decks and deck beams.

I need to do some touching up here and there on the ship and install some ladders in the hatchways.  At that point the shop will be closed for about a month as the Admiral and I are off to do some globetrotting  After that it will be on to the cannons.

Thanks to all for stopping by.  Enjoy the upcoming change of the Seasons !

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Just awesome to look at my friend,  really easy on the eyes.

Loving watch this all come together.

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Beautiful!!!! Augie.....

Frank

P.S. Oh yeah!... Have a nice vacation!!

Edited by riverboat

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Ahoy Augie "Sir" :P

Beautiful work, and thanks for all the tips. Is the sander new for the shop 

Have a safe trip with the Admiral too, You being the rear on that team and all. 

See you in October :)

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

That looks amazing SIR !!!!!!!!

It's almost a shame that you have to cover it up with all kind of stuff.

Maybe for the future I can put it my house ??????

Again.....well done !!!!

Enjoy your vacation and please....come back !

A month is to long for us !

Sjors