USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Your build is looking AMAZING! Maybe you should tell your wife that all you want for Christmas is your choice of where the ship gets displayed. Of course if that means moving an alpaca or sewing stuff, you're on your own buddy! Hope you have a great Holiday Season!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

splendid work as always Augie.........have a wonderful holiday season!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

As luck would have it, did manage to find some time to work on deck fittings over Christmas.  So, at about 800 hours into the build here's where we are:

THE CAPSTAN

Supplied as a laser cut sheet, this reminds me why I don't scratchbuild:

post-56-0-46455200-1419632050_thumb.jpg

I'm leaving it with the natural finish to show off the pins made of 28 gauge wire.  The ring on top was photoetched.  She's just pinned on deck for now.  Still need to make some pawls.

post-56-0-95440000-1419632190_thumb.jpg

And that brings us to THE STOVE.  Also supplied as (many) laser cut and photoetched parts:

post-56-0-31552800-1419632297_thumb.jpg

The basic structure was assembled and brass strip cut for the corners and feet:

post-56-0-43491600-1419632428_thumb.jpg

Lids with copper wire handles and more venting added (along with access doors)

post-56-0-10683900-1419632724_thumb.jpg

Photoetched parts painted and brass tubes added to simulate stove vents:

post-56-0-23626300-1419632623_thumb.jpg

Finally, the rotisserie was added!

post-56-0-61869500-1419632819_thumb.jpg

Here it is just placed on my fine Italian brick hearth from fore/aft.  The vent stack will be permanently added once we fit the upper deck beams:

post-56-0-57539600-1419632888_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-03915300-1419632918_thumb.jpg

Lastly, just an overall look:

post-56-0-51695600-1419632977_thumb.jpg

Sorry to be so long-winded but I thought a walk through the stove construction might interest some.  It was all given a coat of flat acrylic as a final touch.  

Much of this will be obscured as the upper deck beams and partial deck go in.  But I know it's there.  And, I have to fess up ---- this was a LOT of fun.

Hope to have some deck bulkheads and deck beams in place by New Years.  If I'm not back before then, Best of the New Year to all here on MSW!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

A superb stove Augie. If it is like mine you can't see it anymore :( but as you say - we know it's there. Did all of those parts come with the kit? If so it is an incredible add to the usual offerings. My Fly kit doesn't even mention a stove let alone provide one...

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

The furnishings are coming out great Augie! I especially like how the tree-nailed deck butts into the coamings. Nice!  ;)

Cheers and a Safe and Happy New Year to You too

:cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

The wire details in the capstan are great! Thanks for including the steps on the stove assembly. Seeing how something is done is always a bonus IMHO.

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Ahoy Augie :D 

I am really enjoying this long winded side of you 

The stove is a really nice addition to your deck. Could I request another gale about how you did those bricks  

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Nicely done, Augie.  So now that the stove is ready, what's for dinner?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Happy New Year.  I think your gun deck looks fantastic.

I keep asking myself - are you planning on using inhaul/outhaul tackles?  At least on the portion of the deck that is visible?

Great job.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

You're lucky to get laser cut parts....Constructo gives you some wood and a drawing. Anyway, very nice work. I love your details.

Lovel work, as always, Augie. The stove looks fantastic - hope you managed to finish it in time to cook the crew their Christmas dinner!

Nice work on the ship's stove Augie. Also one of my personal favorite parts of building her.

Like you said.... You (and God) will know it is there.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

you must be smiling from ear to ear......your filling out the gun deck! :)    I see your spending your snow days quite well......the stove really looks great!  .......and you give ME kudos for furnishings :D........Capstan looks sweet as well.  super job Augie!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks to all for stopping by and for the kind comments.

Alistair  -  everything for the stove comes in the kit.

Buck -   on the capstan bolts, they are actually 22 gauge wire.  Typo on my part.

J Pett -  the soliloquy on bricklaying is back on page 81.  They are just painted wood strips cut and laid individually.

Ken-  probably not on the gun deck.  I have cannon to rig on the forecastle and quarterdeck later.  Jury is still out.

Rich -  luck has nothing to do with it.  Checked Chuck's Practicum before I bought the kit.

Popeye -  Thanks, I am smiling.  But, unlike you, I'm unable to conjure up anything and make it from paper clips, old universal joints and piano wire.  Wish I had your creativity.

And to all the guys looking for a free meal, no......the stove was too late for the Christmas goose.  But I am throwing a 4-July bash and all are invited  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

....and this coming from a guy that flies what he builds  :D  :D   you've opened the door here and there......you just haven't realized it yet ;)

......just wait till you forget to close it...........Imagine!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Man, that's real nice Augie..... what a treat to have a stove included with the kit.... your build is looking really, really nice!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Like that stove Augie, cool feature....looks like you're into brick laying too....lol

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Hi Augie,

Just catching up, beautiful work on the hull fittings and other details Sir, that stove looks mighty fine :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Welcome home, Aldo.  I trust you're feeling better and that things are returning to normal there.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie: Been busy with the holidays so I have been slow to reply but I wanted to say that you are really getting me torqued to start my MS Confederacy. From what you have been posting the kit is a pleasure to build which will be something to look forward to once I finish my Agamemnon. Thanks for sharing the pics and posting your observations..

Hope to hear more from ya in the new year!

MIKE

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

The New Year brings with it ....... a small update!

There are two bulkheads under the quarterdeck.  They are constructed from laser cut pieces and laminated:

post-56-0-65480200-1420154930_thumb.jpg

Here they are, laminated and the blackened brass hardware affixed to the doors:

post-56-0-84385500-1420155016_thumb.jpg

The farthest aft of the two encloses the Great Cabin.  It, in combination with the deck beams I've put in, pretty much covers the checkerboard floor.  But we'll still be able to see it as only 1/2 of the quarterdeck will be planked:

post-56-0-36100600-1420155140_thumb.jpg

Another view, showing the first of the hanging knees installed:

post-56-0-22147300-1420155247_thumb.jpg

There will be both hanging and lodging knees installed for each of the deck beams as we move forward.  I've installed wire inserts to simulated the bolts in the knees.

Here's the aft bulkhead taken from the front.  I've also added the mizzen mast cap, some eyebolts and the speaking tube (only temporarily).  It's made from painted brass tubing and extends up to the quarterdeck just where the ship's wheel will go.  I'm not sure what the helmsman would communicate to those down below but I can't shake the mental image of John Wayne at the helm bellowing down "Engine room, more steam".

post-56-0-34410900-1420155611_thumb.jpg

We'll be moving forward now to install that second bulkhead.  But first some gangway railings and the capstan need to be installed.

Best to all for 2015 !

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Very precise work on the placement of the deck beams Augie, getting them to lay symmetrically that way seems like a daunting task and you've pulled it off masterfully! :) 

Excellent work on the bulkhead screens too, I gotta hand it to Chuck, the design of those bulkhead screens with built in lights is pure genius B)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo