USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Nice clean job you're doing there Augie. The more I see of this build, the more I want to add this kit to my future builds------yup, done!   :P  :P Just can't get past the great detail in her. 

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Excellent work!

Have a great 2015

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Lovely work on the panels, Augie.  It's a pity to hide that deck so I'm glad you're only half planking.   :)  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Those panels are a very clever design and they look great Augie, as does the rest of the build.

That bulkhead looks great Augie. Very solid work.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I still have problems envisioning those cannon being fired in those rooms with the glass in the doors. Can you imagine what happens to that glass with the first cannon shot?

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

As always, I appreciate hearing from everyone who has stopped by.  Chuck has designed some really nice features and MS has done a really nice job on the kit.  It would take me 10 years to scratch this lady and, frankly, I don't have the patience.  But she teaches you a LOT.....information that will come in handy down the road.

Dave --- I've often wondered the same thing over the years as I've toured various warships from this period all over the world.  Maybe someone knowledgeable on the period can comment on how this worked out once she was cleared for action?

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Dave --- I've often wondered the same thing over the years as I've toured various warships from this period all over the world.  Maybe someone knowledgeable on the period can comment on how this worked out once she was cleared for action?

I believe these bulkheads were removable and taken down at "Beat the men to quarters".   :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Really?  I never heard that.  Thanks Mark.  I respect your input.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Those laser cut parts, look to be the best quality of any I have ever had the pleasure  :(  to work with. Looks like a great kit. I love that floor as well, what a shame so much will be hidden, because it is a beauty

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

looking really sweet......clean and perfectly done!   bulkhead looks great as well.......I thought you had cabin fever!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Augie, it's looking so good, makes you want to move in.  :P

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Augie,

I really cant add anything to the plaudits you have already received, suffice to say that I totally agree with all of them.

Regarding the Bulkheads when beating into action, all the bulkheads and cabin furniture were removed and placed below the waterline to avoid damage, this allowed a complete through deck for the gun captains and powder monkeys.

Looking forward to further updates mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks for the additional info on the 'beat to quarters' routine, Mobbsie.  A whole different time line then what we think of today.  I knew they put all the ship's boats overboard and I have also heard that on some smaller ships they would actually take the binnacle below.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Augie,

I've been a silent observer admiring your build and workmanship. I just may need to add this ship to my wish list.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

• 2 weeks later...

About time for an update.

After playing around with different configurations (wire, wood, rope), I finally decided on using the photoetched stanchions and some line for the companionway railings.  I'll use this throughout:

post-56-0-52045900-1421539856_thumb.jpg

The photo also shows a glimpse of the second of the aft bulkheads and the permanently installed capstan and pawls.

The next 8 deck beams for the quarterdeck were also installed, including lodging and hanging knees:

post-56-0-60837700-1421540026_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-15827400-1421540065_thumb.jpg

Finally, just an overall shot:

post-56-0-12764400-1421540152_thumb.jpg

There are several more decks beams to go in to finish the quarterdeck but first we need to prepare some deck fittings.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Augie,

You are continuing to do some great work. She's looking really good.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Very nicely done, Augie.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Augie,

First of all..... just amazing!

This is to both of you Augie and Chuck,

is there any way to open the deck to reveal the interior of captains cabin? :rolleyes:

However, I guess both of you have considered this matter already.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Ps.

I have been trying to find a Dremel work table for a long time!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

That's a fine piece of work Augie, she's looking absolutely gorgeous.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-