USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

stern framing looks excellent Augie!  your skills are really shinning with this build  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Haven't really made enough progress for a proper update but there's something important I need to point out ... and now is the time.

The bulkhead beakhead doors were made the usual way by laminating 3 sections together, thinning them down, applying the finish and hardware.  They required only minor adjustments to fit the openings properly.  The two outermost doors will be covered by the roundhouses down the road.

post-56-0-58234000-1423071802_thumb.jpg

Next, we fabricated the bowsprit step out of 3/16 and 1/4" strips.  After painting, it was securely pinned to the deck:

post-56-0-84220900-1423071940_thumb.jpg

OK, here's what I wanted to discuss.  The bowsprit hole in the beakhead is quite a bit undersized for the bowsprit.  The bowsprit will be tapered but the hole still needs to be enlarged.  With the stem already in place, getting the proper angle and size on that hole is somewhat problematic.  Also, the next steps will include installing additional deck fittings as well as forecastle deck beams which will largely cover the bowsprit step.  I could visualize painting myself into a corner and being unable to properly fit the bowsprit 6 months from now.  So I fabricated and aligned this NOW and I'd strongly suggest you do something similar.  If you check Rusty's great Confed log you'll see that he left off the upper part of the stem (that which holds the figurehead) at this point ----that would give you room to work.  But I didn't think that far ahead.

I don't like breaking out my dad's old Craftsman 1/2" drill for work on a 1:64 ship model.  So I slowly enlarged the hole using slightly tapered sticks (old paint brush handles) wrapped in sandpaper.  Yes, it's just this side of Neanderthal (and slow) but it works..... and nothing got destroyed in the process.  Here's what we have:

post-56-0-32167400-1423072680_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-99331100-1423072701_thumb.jpg

The bowsprit has a tenon cut in to sit nicely in the step.  That will need to be painted red just prior to final installation.

Didn't mean to bore anyone with this as I'm sure you all know it's good to think ahead.  But now my conscience is clear.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Good thinking Augie!!

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I think the only thing that got "bored" was the hole for the bowsprit, Augie! :P

Great forward planning, masterfully executed.

Awesome pictures and info Augie. As far as I'm concerned, the more the better....    :)  :)  :)

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Hi Augie,

I have a friend who is building a Hahn style version of the Confederacy. He is currently researching a number of specifications, one of which is stern lanterns. He has not seen any models showing stern lanterns and has difficulty believing they were not on the ship. Has this item come to your attention and if so, do you plan on adding them to your build.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Augie, That looks lovely!!!  And a nice way to think ahead on enlarging that hole now.   Very nice.  :)

As far as a stern lantern goes.  I would say it is very plausible that this frigate had one.   Just one in the center.... but because the Confederacy was never ever modeled that way,  I did not add one to the prototype.  I would say it is fine either way but would indeed be very interesting to see a model with it.  It would however make it impossible to see that center figure on the stern.   It would cover it up.   Based on its location you might have to drill the hole for the main iron bracket right through the bottom of her torso or near-abouts.  Something I didnt want to to do.   

Chuck

very nice work on the bow spirit Augie..........believe me,  it's not a primitive thing to wrap sandpaper around a dowel......this is what I use.

I have four different sizes.  I use a semi rough paper though to speed the job up a little.   you've done such a wonderful job so far my friend.......it's a true testament to your talent!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Great idea on the bowsprit step,i'll use your sandpaper around the old brush trick,unless it's copywright.She's looking great Augie,must go and use my seat of ease.

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

I am build this model, but nowhere near Augi's work. I do have a question about the ships design. Why is the windless so far to the rear. I don't see how the ropes could lead to the catheads.

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

I am build this model, but nowhere near Augi's work. I do have a question about the ships design. Why is the windless so far to the rear. I don't see how the ropes could lead to the catheads.

The capstan being rearward was/is intentional.  They would use a messenger rope which ran from the manger around the capstan and back to the bow.  The anchor hawse was tied to the messenger when raising the anchor.  As the hawse go to the scuttle for the cable tier, the wraps were untied.  Where the capstan is allowed it also to be used via pulleys to assist with raising/lowering the yards on the main mast, launching and recovering boats, etc.  You have to remember that these ships ARE very labor intensive and so moving gratings, etc. was just part of a day's work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I believe Mark has covered it quite well.  Thanks  :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

By the way,  Daniel (Dafi) has covered much of this capstan usage in his Victory build log and other topics where he thought things like this through with the help of MSW members and research.  He also explores other topics including guns, cabins, meals, and others.  It's well worth a look even if you're not building the Victory as it gives insight into how and why many things were done.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Lovely work Augie,

a pleasure to watch this build

NIls

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Time in the shipyard has been at a premium these last 2 weeks.  But we do have a small update as we cross the 900 hour mark into the build.

The foresheet bitts (with 'working' sheaves), foremast hoop and  deck beams have been added up in the bow.  In addition, the stove has reached it's final destination:

post-56-0-11318900-1424537550_thumb.jpg

The last of the forecastle deck beams:

post-56-0-70593700-1424537605_thumb.jpg

The view from the bow:

post-56-0-20103200-1424537648_thumb.jpg

Next we'll be putting in the hanging and lodging knees and carlings.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Nice work Augie! Love the detail in your stove. I get the "itch" to start mine every time I stop by!  To self:---Patience grasshopper!  :D

Cheers 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Augie,

As always looks great and I especially like the stove with the brass details standing out. I hope a lot of this hard work will be visible in the end given it is an Admiralty model.

This kit looks like it is really a lot of fun to build!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Very clean and crisp and that stove is great!!!!

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: