USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Just one comment for those who mentioned they might consider a Swiss Pear deck.  Personally, I love it.  It's fairly easy to work with, holds a good edge.  But even with just a natural stain finish, it has a distinctive, slightly dark color.  It's like picking a paint for a room --- it might look good on a color sample but it turns out to look 'different' when the whole room is done.  

Take a look at Rustyj's scratch built Confed to see what I mean.  I believe his is all boxwood --- and beautifully done:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/533-usf-confederacy-by-rustyj-completed/page-4

Choose carefully, my friends.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks for the props Augie. Yes it's boxwood and you can see it was cut from different batches of wood. I never noticed the color difference until I started planking her. Thankfully as it ages the difference is not so obvious. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

yea...often different colors in some woods are hard to see until they are oiled or varnished........i tried to lay out all the planks and dampen parts of them with water and separate the lighter and the darker ones so i can choose where to put which  ...but that's tricky too, as some planks are light on one end and dark on the other :)

Beautiful work Augie, you deserve all the plaudits heaped upon you mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

How beautiful! Augie I think you have refined your skill set with every step. This is a museum piece in the making ;)!

Bill :)

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Augie...... I hope your back can take one more pat ;) ........ It's BEAUTIFUL!!! !

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Additional thanks and appreciation to all who have stopped by.

BILL ---- nice to see you back.  Looking forward to your progress on the Pride of Baltimore.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Happy Memorial Day to all.  And a moment to remember all those who gave the ultimate sacrifice and  cannot be with us to share it.

Time for a small update.  Have continued working on the quarter deck with the addition of numerous pinrails, cleats, belaying pins (blackened), eyebolts/rings for the cannon rigging and the ship's wheel:

post-56-0-97400900-1432567024_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-11634700-1432567045_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-33917700-1432567067.jpg

It's really good to get the steering cables, which pass down through the quarterdeck and gun deck, off of the deck where they have been in the way for months!  The speaking tube also disappears below into the bowels of the ship.  In more modern times I could just picture John Wayne bellowing 'Engine room -----more steam!!'  The two wheels were really horrible castings but I did what I could to clean them up including fabricating 3 or 4 handles which were missing.  At this scale I wasn't about to attempt scratching 2 wheels (make that any scale).

There are still some stanchions and railings to be installed but I'll hold off on these until the 'heavy lifting' in the waist and bow are complete.  Likewise the guns for the QD.

So next up will be the twin binnacles.  Here's a preview of the parts layout for one of them:

post-56-0-79609700-1432567665_thumb.jpg

Hope all is well with everyone!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Yeah ditto Dirk on the wheels.... I thought they were wood!!!.... Nice job Augie.

Frank

USRC "ALERT"

You're doing a splendid job on her Augie, and I have to echo what the other guys said about those nasty cast wheels. Nice work! Not looking forward to making my ten spoke ones presentable. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Great rescue job on the wheels Augie.   It is also wonderful to see those important smaller details starting to go in like the belaying pins, speaking tube and all those eyebolts! I like the black color on the pins...they stand out really well against the red bulwarks.

Your third photo also helps to show how long this lady is...she's a truly beautiful build.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

She looks great Augie. I also thought the wheels were wood and they looked good!

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

<echos everyone else> Sweet work on the wheel, Augie.   I love the deck color everytime I see it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

great update Augie.....the ship's wheel and fittings look really nice with the contrast of the deck  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

One final update before we close the shipyard for our vacation.

The twin binnacles have been completed and mounted.  With this, the 'command and control center' area is completed.

post-56-0-47622800-1433266202_thumb.jpg

I'll be around and checking in on all of you for a few days.  Then it's off to Alaska in search of a King Salmon with my name on it.  Been over 25 years since we visited the North country so it will be interesting to see the changes.  Be 'off the grid' for about 3 weeks.

Stay the course and keep a lamp burning in the stern gallery so we can find our way back.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hello Augie,a well deserved break after some outstanding modeling by a master,thanks for all your tips and learnings.

Years ago I caught a king salmon close to a wall of high rock on the west coast of Vancouver Island,jigging with a 60 gram silver perkins,what a tiring thrill. good luck.Edwin.

Have a safe trip and enjoy the fishing!

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Nice! looking work there  Augie........ Have fun on your vacation.

frank

USRC "ALERT"