USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

I see you found the rear gun port hinge in post 2067

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Ha! I did Kevin!

Although there are a couple other missing random bits, that according to Augie's notes they are stowed in his "magnetic ashtray"... No doubt Diane will one day come across a few belaying pins or blocks.

I'm glad the Confed kit comes with a fair amount of extra pieces. :-)

-Bug

Hello team!

Got a question for the group regarding rigging the cannons.  The Confed directions call for gun tackles on either side of the cannon.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-05-14 at 9.35.38 AM.png

According to Augie's hand written notes in his folder, he didn't intend to rig these as he felt it made the deck a bit crowded. I'm a bit back and forth on this, but ultimately the decision is made a bit easier as it would be nearly impossible to add the side gun tackles to the cannons already mounted on the lower deck.  ;-)  

However - I like what our friend Sjors has done here with his Agamemnon and rear gun tackle.  

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-05-14 at 9.38.36 AM.png

My question is - would that have been appropriate on the Confederacy?  I'm having some difficulty confirming one way or another.

Thoughts?

- Bug

what if you fully rig a couple of them, as a demonstration?.

Thanks all, appreciate the input, comments, and likes. I'm headed to Atlanta and Myrtle Beach this week, but will hopeful have some shipyard time this weekend. I've started on the cat heads and can't wait to get back at it.

Mac - that's definitely the leading prospect at this point. While I think I can get away with it on an Admiralty display, I'll have to determine whether my Inner-OCD will allow me to have some cannons rigged and some not. ;-)

-Bug

Thanks all, appreciate the input, comments, and likes. I'm headed to Atlanta and Myrtle Beach this week, but will hopeful have some shipyard time this weekend. I've started on the cat heads and can't wait to get back at it.

Mac - that's definitely the leading prospect at this point. While I think I can get away with it on an Admiralty display, I'll have to determine whether my Inner-OCD will allow me to have some cannons rigged and some not. ;-)

-Bug

"I think I can get away with it on an Admiralty display":  thats my point exactly!!!!! Admiralty display is a demonstration, not a complete model..very well said Bug!!

Hi -bug just catching up on your progress.

Regarding the gun tackle question, at the scale involved I would fit the side tackles as they would be fitted to help secure the gun.

On Pegasus I cheated tho' as all too often side tackles look overscale. I used 2mm blocks stropped with 34 gauge wire the ends of which were formed into hooks,

a 0.15mm dia line was attached to the strop and frapped to give a neat and less obtrusive appearance.

044.JPG

The guns on Pegasus were quite small six pounders, with larger guns I would modify the arrangement with perhaps using wire hooks fixed into the end of the blocks rather than attach with a ring and seizing which can look too bulky.

I would also visually check the suggested scale line size by reference to the breeching tackle and sometimes it is better to go with a size less for the side tackle, again to give a better scale appearance.

I tend to agree with Augie about 'clutter on the deck, and I also tend not to fit train tackles for that reason.

Regards,

B.E.

Wow,

I'm back from my vacation and you have a lot of updates Bug !

I'm only smiling from ear to ear !

You make me proud and I know that someone above are also very proud with what you are doing !

Keep on going like this !!!!!!

Sjors

Thanks Sjors!  Still pluggin' away...  

Hope you had a great vacation!

- Bug

Hi Bug,

I'm late to the discussion as usual but I only have one point.

If your building the ship as close to Augie's concept and he's written notes to say he wasn't going to rig the guns then surely there is no question, don't rig the guns. 

I would however place the ringbolts and Breach ropes and leave it at that.

Your doing good mate, keep it up.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

G'day Bug

Just started to read this log. It is extremely nice of you to complete this very important build. It is not only for Augie's immediate family, but for our family in this wonderful forum. God bless you for stepping up for this venture.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Thanks for the input Mobbsie. I'll have to consider how to stage the breach ropes without rigging them.  

Thanks Greg, I appreciate the kind words. 

- Bug

• 2 weeks later...

Bug - just caught up after you assumed this honourable task.  You seem to have everything under control, so I'll pull up a seat.  Best of luck, know you're up to it.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

nice to see an update..........how are you my friend?  :)     yea......it's a tough thought.   we all know what Augie was planning.....but you have the seat now......it's your call.   you could add the breech ropes somewhat coiled up in back of the cannons,  since there are folks mentioning that they weren't used when the cannons were inactive.  you've had a few ups and downs in getting to know her........you expect that  :)    it's nice to see her again.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 weeks later...

Holy Cow, Progress!

Yeah, it's been a while, an it's been slow: But I finally have some progress to report.  I've been traveling several times a month, which inhibits my progress of course.

In addition to that, I had a little mishap with my hand that inhibited my progress as well.  I won't go into the details of being stupid, but let's just say that 25 yr old Martial Artist Moonbug used to be able to put his hand through a board pretty easily...

post-1158-0-83258300-1468174633_thumb.jpg

45 yr old drunk Moonbug the show-off ... not so much.   :-)     Karma 1, Sean 0.  (Broken hand)

Ah, boys will be boys...

Anywaaaaay....   I started with some easy stuff - rails and rope.  Augie had in his notes that he preferred to use a particular scale of rope so that's what I went with.

post-1158-0-72340400-1468174658_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-29188800-1468174661_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-04208900-1468174665_thumb.jpg

More progress to in a separate post.

Edited by Moonbug

So, the catheads were pretty straightforward given Chuck's instructions.  It did take a bit of fiddling of course, to match the sanded size of the catheads and then properly notch out the side of the ship for a snug fit.  There was a lot of delicate sanding and tiny bit at a time with varying sandpapers and files, then fit the cathead, then sand some more.  A patient process to be sure.

post-1158-0-31301200-1468176863_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-02995700-1468176866_thumb.jpg

post-1158-0-43359600-1468176870_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-56176100-1468176873_thumb.jpg

Though I fitted the cathead with the wedge as outlined in the schematics, I ended up sanding it almost all the way down. This was a little challenging as the wood here is pretty soft.  But all in all it fit together pretty tightly.

post-1158-0-45975400-1468176868_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-57435500-1468176875_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-14315200-1468176877_thumb.jpg

To make the sheaves, I filed down some boxwood then cut out ovals.  Although obviously they'd have been circles, the ovals made for a better fit and ultimately finalized look.

post-1158-0-55123100-1468176879_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-92429100-1468176882_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-17308500-1468176885_thumb.jpg

Then the catheads in place.  Because the fore of the ship is not perfectly symmetrical, I did my level best to get the catheads to look as symmetrical as possible.  The discerning eye will notice they're not quite exact - however, I don't think it'll be noticeable for the most part.

post-1158-0-68427200-1468176956_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-63617800-1468176959_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-03271300-1468176962_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moonbug

Well done Bug! Its great ti see some progress on this. THe Cats look great, I cant see the differences you are talking about myself

Ahh the things we could do as younger martial artists. I feel for you, I never tried assaulting a board in my day but there was that time I tried to demonstrate disarming a ratan stick from somebody and the stick bounced straight off the concrete and back up into my eyebrow. The number of "Sharp stick in the Eye" jokes people came up up with.......

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

So here's a little preview...  

Although I was quite happy with my home-made ships wheels HERE: and they took a pretty ridiculous amount of time and patience to build, once I saw Chuck's laser cut wheel kit HERE, I pretty much fell in love right away.

So, I have one wheel done, and I'm working on the second.  But before I post that mini build and progress, I decided to have a little bit of fun, and I created a video of how I spindled the spokes. 

I followed Chuck's Instructions and mounted the spoke in a dremel attached vertically to my desk with a vice. Then I laid out the process here in THIS VIDEO.  It's only about two minutes, but if you're looking to build the wheel it may be helpful.

As I said, I'll post the entire process soon.  In the meantime, Thanks Chuck! The wheel is awesome!

Edited by Moonbug

Nice work, Sean.   And I feel for the broken hand, you have my sympathy.   I'm not sure getting older does us any favors in the "hey... I"m going to try this.. " department especially when we're less than sober.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sean, nice work. Sorry about the hand; looks like you suffered the same fracture, same hand,  my son (40) had about 2 months back, except he had to have surgery to fix his (4th and 5th metatarsal/metacarpal bones - ring and pinky fingers).  I can sympathize with you. Oh and he was cold sober when he did it.

Edited by Jack12477

Thanks for the looks and likes everyone!

Sam - a little of both. The size of the strips of sandpaper and the size of the triangle file were my essentially my marks. For instance, I made the notches on the base the length of the file down from the stem. That kept them consisted for me.

-Bug

Ouch!! You must have been Kung fu fighting a board of white oak! The busted hand has not diminished the terrific quality of your work though.

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

The Roundhouses

The Roundhouses seemed to be pretty straightforward, however Augie had written in his notes that he was intending to use the Swiss Pear instead.  I really liked this idea, as it would surely set off a bit of color on the bow of the ship. 

It really didn't change how I approached the Roundhouses initially, but soon after I discovered the slightly thicker Swiss Pear was going to involve a little more intricate bit of beveling than the stock parts.

post-1158-0-02509500-1468252696_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-36069900-1468252698_thumb.jpg

In addition to mitering the edge, I also sanded the inside of the strips with a round file to try and match the shape of the guides.  Then I marked the inside seams with a sharpie to simulate the caulking between the planks.

post-1158-0-17985000-1468252700_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-72876700-1468252701_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-23046800-1468252703_thumb.jpg

Chuck's instructions call for a bit of 28 gauge wire glued under the overhang, which is a very nice touch.  Instead - for me to pull in a little bit of the natural color of the bow, I used the original light colored overhang, sanded it down, then covered it with the swiss pear roof. 

post-1158-0-96695200-1468252706_thumb.jpg

Finally, I dug up in the "extra pieces" bin, some small circular brass rings with a lip that came from who know's where, and I used those to bring out some detail int he ventilation scuttle.

post-1158-0-73027500-1468252709_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-11020400-1468252712_thumb.jpg

Ultimately, Augie nailed it with his approach (as he always did), and I really love the way the swiss pear looks on the bow.

post-1158-0-91456400-1468252714_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-56166000-1468252717_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moonbug

Bug,

Great detail work on the cats and the roundhouse. I do like your approach toward the roundhouse and will add this to my list of " how to's". Keep posting, we're enjoying your progress and the popcorn.

Current build: HMS Pegasus, English Pinnace (on hold)

Completed build: MS BluenoseSkippercraft

nice job on the cat heads and the round house....once the port side round house is in place,  it will look super  :)   hope the hand is on the mend.....reminds me of a vid on you tube......too bad I can't post it here.  but consider putting the experience in the "betcha won't do that again" category  ;)

awesome update Sean!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

He karate kid  :D  :D

Very nice progress you have showing us.

You are a real building master !!!!!

One question.....why is one part of the roundhouse outside the hull ??????

I think there will be  good reason for that but please........explanation ?????

Sjors

Hey Sjors!  Thanks for the look-in, I hope all is well on your side of the world.

I'm not entirely sure, and I can't remember where I may have read this, but as I understand it - the roundhouse was a private privy for the midshipmen, and hung over the edge of the beakhead to provide open air disposal. 

As I said - I'm not sure, maybe someone with a bit more nautical knowledge than I can confirm?

- Bug

Ship's Wheels - Reboot

Although I was quite happy with the ship's wheels that I'd created by hand SEEN HERE, when I got a look at the new ship wheel kit created by Chuck, I knew I had to get them for the Confederacy.

Chuck's instructions for the wheel can be found HERE, so I won't go into full detail. But, the kit comes with 29 laser cut pieces that eventually come together to form the wheel, along with small "jig" used to help in the construction and measurements.

post-1158-0-21441900-1468706161_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-06501300-1468706163_thumb.jpg

First, the two sides of the halves of the jig are glued together to form slots that are precisely spaced. Small laser cut blocks are detached and sanded. However, as Chuck insists, the sides must remain precisely measured; so only the top and bottom are slightly sanded to get rid of the laster cut char and fit into the jig snug but not tightly.

post-1158-0-66689400-1468706164_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-28861200-1468706166_thumb.jpg

Once the blocks are fitted in the jig, they outer portion of the wheel is glued into place. This creates gaps in which the spokes will fit. 

Next up, the spokes - which are the most delicate part. Each spoke is laser cut with square edges. To round the edges, the spoke is mounted in my Dremel, which is in turn mounted vertically in a vise. Each spoke is just an inch or so tall and tapered from about a millimeter thick.

post-1158-0-08744700-1468706168_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-29777800-1468706174_thumb.jpg

The Dremel serves as a lathe, and the spoke is shaped and ultimately detailed.  I decided to get a little creative and documented the process in this YouTube video.

post-1158-0-19713400-1468706177_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-33642100-1468706179_thumb.jpg

The spokes are place and glued around the center core of the wheel, placed in the jig with the square portion of each spoke fitted in the slots created by the blocks.

post-1158-0-33642100-1468706179_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-15626200-1468706181_thumb.jpgpost-1158-0-26107800-1468706183_thumb.jpg

Finally, the entire wheel is sanded and smoothed with 600 - 4000 grit sandpaper, then stained. Because the char lines and creases created by each piece made visible lines in the wheel, I chose a darker mahogany stain to cover that up as much as possible and make it less visible to the naked eye.

post-1158-0-42660500-1468706306_thumb.jpg

Because the wheels were now more ornate, I decided to give the base for the wheels a different treatment as well.  Using a scrap of wood left over from a penholder I acquired some time ago, I cut and sanded down two pieces of framing to whole the new wheels.

post-1158-0-17711900-1468706309_thumb.jpg

I'm not entire sure what kind of wood this is, but it's very dense and very hard, so although tedious it made for precision carving and sanding, and ultimately I believe looked pretty good as a complete assembly.  

post-1158-0-44054800-1468706311_thumb.jpg

Edited by Moonbug

Nice work on the wheel, Bug.   The stain makes it pop. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)