USF Confederacy by Augie & Moonbug - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Well done on the boats, Bug.  They do look great.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well folks - it's all wrapped up except the photo shoot...

IMG_3561.thumb.JPG.a4c29d5e59e5a19c4c7e8605e4feb186.JPG

...more to come.

Bug,

That is a very nice setup you have for photo sessions.

Good use of a table tennis unit.

Back in Sweden in my early days I had a Stiga too.

Useful for many things.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

So... not a whole lot of mystery here with the construction of the pinnace.

Confed_207.thumb.jpg.0173f2f9849eb070579848e9a14afc35.jpgConfed_208.thumb.jpg.a33e1a46620094902d0140c64cbb23d6.jpgConfed_209.thumb.jpg.e7ea8a04c581eeff8c50be294b347a68.jpgConfed_210.thumb.jpg.94a59e85b26504d587268ba98ef262e3.jpg

I had the same issues with the cap rail using the Swiss Pear, but when through fewer iterations because I need I needed the patiences to just use a sharp blade.

Confed_211.thumb.jpg.2d658881015dea8644a4812d9128ac9d.jpgConfed_212.thumb.jpg.0bc86810d8da82bf216bda534436e3e3.jpgConfed_213.thumb.jpg.9dd200627f54f4d8a2b6a184df37fc2c.jpgConfed_214.thumb.jpg.18a3f2f6b7ab31cb14a3359a75f25c08.jpg

I notched out the thwarts, and carved out the knees. The rails are pretty straightforward, glued together from the laser cut.

Confed_216.thumb.jpg.0210da3b3089ca1282f474eaa41368e6.jpgConfed_217.thumb.jpg.3a6c9e26663a83494c8cdd7b4f900038.jpgConfed_218.thumb.jpg.730b56743c0a013bab3ae8d9a4b28b3d.jpg

I ended up using small bits of boxwood for the oar locks. I couldn't manage to carve the basswood that small and still keep it in tact, so I went with the denser boxwood and just had them two "steps" carved.

Confed_219.thumb.jpg.d493566d02ed7630346fe9fd66e90f5c.jpg

Finally, I tethered the small boats to the waist beams.  I know that this isn't a tradition knot of any kind - however this is the first type of "slip" knot my father taught me how to use.  We moved a lot when I was young, and this is how he tied down all the stuff we'd load up on our open top, built ourselves trailer. It's a clever little knot that's easy to manipulate quickly when we'd stop at a rest stop and need something out of the back.

So this is a little homage to my late father.  :-)

Confed_220.thumb.jpg.23c994b1c159f13d7d55f351cae7c7ec.jpgConfed_221.thumb.jpg.5b8974c67c0b7e0a39de5022c957f016.jpg

Coming up - the finale...  

Edited by Moonbug

Obviously it was extraordinarily humbling and intimidating to have been asked to complete Augie's Confederacy.  Aside from his excellent work, Augie was an extremely popular gentleman on the forum, and for all the right reasons.  Quite simply, he was just a great guy.

I can honestly say, I did my best for him, and I hope he's happy with the end result. Thank you all SO much for following along and providing such great support.

Here are a couple of shots of the finished ship. More images will soon be up in the Gallery of Completed Builds, and once that is done I'll update this log accordingly.

Finished_01.thumb.jpg.1ffdd9b4fdc084573bb361e6f3d6d650.jpgFinished_02.thumb.jpg.b3774438df1eae473dafe495fcb6e5cf.jpgFinished_05.thumb.jpg.5b4d7fde0a840c3d49d81e8780c0570c.jpgFinished_11.thumb.jpg.7afd8aca482cc15bd2aa4cc0c7846137.jpgFinished_30.thumb.jpg.2f5967a8b3b0ff08c8080c8411b74369.jpg

Bug, very nicely done. You have paid honor to a fine gentleman. Thank you for all your work.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Bug, I think Augie is smiling now and am very greatful letting you do the final job.

My hat off to both of you.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Sean,

You have done something that is almost impossible.

Augie was a master of modelling and you are at the same level as he was.

I know he will look from above and agree with me that no one could finish his work as you did!

I take my hat of for both of you.

With tears in my eyes i admire the confed.

Thanks for all that you have done for Augie and all of us here on MSW.

It's  a beauty and give her a nice place at your home.

Sjors

Hello Sean,

I know Augie is smiling.  You did an excellent job, she is just beautiful.  

The finished build also brings a tear to my eyes, because now it is time to let go.

Thank you for this.

Regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Thanks again, very very much every one.  Got the other images loaded into the Completed Build Gallery (Thanks Chuck and Dubz for your help!) here:

Bug, what a great tribute to a great Model Shipwright.  You did an amazing job.  Now that it is finished I think Augie can finally hang his Moose on the wall.  Those that were part of that banter a few years ago will know what I mean here.  That was quite an honorable feat that you have accomplished here.   We've lost two of our friends here with Augie and George Lackie both before their time.  It was an honor to have known them both and how they contributed to this Forum and the world.  Give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done and we'll bend an elbow to Augie and you tonight.  God Bless you for all you did.  Big Smile Augie - Big Smile,

John

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

This has been such an inspiring project to follow, both for its backstory and the quality of its craftsmanship. I didn't know Augie, I'm too new on this forum, but after following this project I will always hold a memory of someone so respected by his peers that this project became a reality. And I have immense respect for a builder who takes on such a responsibility, and does such a memorable job. Thank you for this.

Bug,

Superb!  A fitting tribute to a fine man.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Thank you so much for the likes, and especially comments everyone!  I'm quite overwhelmed and humbled at the responses - truly.

:)

Bug,

I really can't add to what the others have except you deserve every comment, kudo, and "like".  Well done, I tip my hat and raise a toast to you and another to Augie's memory.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Truly an inspiration. Upon my return to the forums was sad to hear of Augie's passing. Very glad you had the opportunity to honor him by completing this build.

Thank you Moonbug!
Our friend Augie is smiling down on you with great pride and love of the outstanding job you have done in his honor.
Beautiful job my friend.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

My thanks to you as well Moonbug....Augie was most welcoming when I first joined MSW so it great to see his Confed finished so beautifully.

I am also sure, as Dave just said, that he is smiling down from on high somewhere.

Rest in peace Augie.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Hi Jax!  Thanks for the comment.

The warmer wood on the deck is Swiss Pear.  Augie substituted some of the original wood with the swiss, and a couple of smaller deck fittings with Boxwood.  When I did a little bit of refinishing early on after taking over the build, I re-sanded much of the deck, then really rubbed in a couple of coats of Tung oil.

oil.JPG.bfa9d6211b9502353463b819f44e897c.JPG

Then, I used a little bit more Swiss Pear in a some smaller areas (particularly the ships boats) to try and tie some of it in artistically.

Thanks. Love Swiss pear but the decks already installed unfortunately. Did the Tung oil add additional color and perhaps a little sheen or gloss?

Short story: I was a Chemical sales trainee for Rohm and Haas Company in Phila. R&H created many of the acrylic emulsions that made water borne coatings possible. Part of my job was to answer technical questions from current or potential customers. We had a very experienced Customer service and formulation Lab Chemist that I was supposed to copy with my letter responses (no internet in those days). The guy was brilliant and also had a penchant for really bad puns. One day, I got a letter from a client who was having lapping problems with his acrylic house paint based on our emulsions. I don't know what made me do it, but I ginned up a dummy letter to the client that I only sent to my immediate superior and the bad pun chemist. The letter told the customer to solve his lapping issues by adding a  little "tongue oil". I actually called the client with the real solution to the problem. My boss thought the letter was hilarious. Then he received a call from the irate punster chemist saying tongue oil would worsen the problem not solve it. My boss almost had a fit from laughing which only incensed the punster more. Finally my boss told the guy to read the tongue oil part carefully. Fortunately when he realized my joke, he loved it and told the story for years