Hi Folks, New here.

I have a Sergal 1:60 Bounty and have got the basic frame together and about to start the first layer of planking, however I am nervous to start this as I am unsure of the 'not so good' plan description, just wondering if any other members have done one by this make and where they started, any info on this particular model would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

323459108_404260901875678_2326723004721011724_n.jpg

Edited by mark j
photo add

As this is your first build, maybe consider setting it aside for the time being and start with something that will teach you the basics that will carry forward with more complex projects.  There is a lot of agreement here at MSW that one of the very best starter series is the three boat set designed by David Antscherl  available at Model Shipways.    Your choice of course, but something you may want to consider.  Too many folks new to the hobby start with a kit that is too complex for their experience and they sometimes give up the model and hobby as a result.

3 hours ago, mark j said:

fear I may louse it up.

Fear not, we have all failed at times in this hobby of ours.  Learning from our own mistakes is a huge part of the hobby.  And don't be afraid to spend as much time researching your ship as you do making sawdust, including reading the many fine pieces in the Articles Database here at MSW.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Many thanks Allan.

The kit was bought for me by my Father in Law who has sadly passed away now so I feel that I need to do this boat and get it right, it has been in storage for many years and it needs to be built, I will take my time and do it slowly and methodically as best I can, and with luck the good folk on this forum will not get frayed by my constant asking for advice and direction. LOL.

Hello, Mark.

I'm delighted to meet you, as we're working on the same kit. I'm making the same kit with an older version, which used inaccurate CNC cut. It looks like your plan paper is exactly the same thing I have.

I referred to some sources, such as Anatomy of the Ships series and Amati's kit plans, and concluded that the Sergal Bounty is a tweaked version of the AotS book. The Sergal Bounty changed the proportions of hull and deck height to fit their universal deck parts. Therefore, this kit is a kind of artistic model in my opinion. If you want to build historically accurate model or accurate Bounty replica, you should expect lots of difficulties that frustrate first time builders.

Also, if you follow the building manual in the 50 year old kit, you'll experience many issues. I strongly advise you to research the most recent and enhanced modelling techniques from here.

■NO. 8: Finish your story, let go even if it’s not perfect. In an ideal world you have both, but move on. Do better next time.

■ NO. 17: No work is ever wasted. If it’s not working, let go and move on — it’ll come back around to be useful later.

source : https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/comic-riffs/post/pixar-tips-brave-artist-emma-coats-shares-her-storytelling-wit-and-wisdom-on-twitter followher/2012/06/25/gJQADaxd2V_blog.html

This project won't be easy and will take a lot of times But don't give up. If you get bored, it is ok to build a secondary project at the same time. Just don't forget to come back and continue when you are ready to conquer the hard part that makes you feel frustrated.

Hi Mark,

I have just found this log after seeing your intro, I'm doing the Caldercraft Bounty (1/64) so I will follow along and try and help out where I can, I agree with others that for a first build Bounty is going to be quite the challenge at times, but I understand your reasons for doing so for your Father-in-law's memory.  Thing is it's not a race and people; me included, often set a project aside and do something else for a bit and come back to them. 

As for initial comments the plans and framing look similar to my Bounty, so hopefully any queries you have should be of a nature I have come across.  As @vossy has mentioned some balsa fillers for the first few and last few frames are needed for seating the planking on and fairing (sanding) the frames so the planking runs smooth across their edges is a task well worth taking your time over.  Also before you get to planking make sure the keel and frames are all straight and true.  Ply false keels can twist or bend a little, throwing out the alignment of the frames and deck etc. so making sure the frame underneath is correct is an important foundation,  I had that problem with my Bounty.

Good luck and enjoy!  We'll be there - just shout out if you want, also whilst waiting for glue to dry and so on, searching through this huge site will pass many, many hours....

Many thanks to you for the help and info, just waiting for som sanding bits for my dremmel to tackle the 'rougher bits' of balsa inserts when I get them all in.

Its great to find a forum with helpfull Folk.

20 hours ago, AJohnson said:

Hi Mark,

I have just found this log after seeing your intro, I'm doing the Caldercraft Bounty (1/64) so I will follow along and try and help out where I can, I agree with others that for a first build Bounty is going to be quite the challenge at times, but I understand your reasons for doing so for your Father-in-law's memory.  Thing is it's not a race and people; me included, often set a project aside and do something else for a bit and come back to them. 

As for initial comments the plans and framing look similar to my Bounty, so hopefully any queries you have should be of a nature I have come across.  As @vossy has mentioned some balsa fillers for the first few and last few frames are needed for seating the planking on and fairing (sanding) the frames so the planking runs smooth across their edges is a task well worth taking your time over.  Also before you get to planking make sure the keel and frames are all straight and true.  Ply false keels can twist or bend a little, throwing out the alignment of the frames and deck etc. so making sure the frame underneath is correct is an important foundation,  I had that problem with my Bounty.

Good luck and enjoy!  We'll be there - just shout out if you want, also whilst waiting for glue to dry and so on, searching through this huge site will pass many, many hours....

Mark,

Go to https://modelshipworld.com/forum/98-planking-downloads-and-tutorials-and-videos/    There you find planking tutorials.   Download and read all of them.  Then pick one that you think you can do and follow it for your planking.  They're all pretty similar but they do have some differences.  And do start a build log as it's a great way to meet others and get help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark,

I, too, am building the Bounty but mine is made by Artesania Latina.

If I can offer any assistance on your build, please feel free to ask or visit my build log (see the link below in my signature area).

As many have mentioned, for a first time build, this is a tough one... you can become easily discouraged! So, don't hesitate to ask for help!

Good luck!

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD