US Brig Syren 1803 by David W K - Model Shipways

Hello everyone. I have been a member for a little while but have not yet started my first build log, I'm hopeing all goes well. 

I am not new to model ship building as I have built several kits, my first was the US Ranger, cain't remember the manufacturer, my 2nd  was the US Enterprise by Occre, 3rd was the Prince De Neufchatel from Model Shipways(Expo) 4th was the Brig Syren (MS). I was in construction of the Syren when we had a tornado come through our neighborhood which destroyed our house and unfortunately all of my finished and under construction ships. So about 2 yrs ago I purchased the Syren again as well as the Niagara (maybe should have waited on the Niagara but it was on sale) took awhile to decide which one to start. The Syren was my choice, wanting to replace the recent one.  

I will upload photos as I move along but and I've already started the build so some of the work such as the keel, false keel, bulwarks, stem and rabbit have been done except for the filler blocks, have yet to place them in.

I will take photos of what I've done this for. 

44 minutes ago, David W K said:

when we had a tornado come through our neighborhood which destroyed our house and unfortunately all of my finished and under construction ships

😳😳😳

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

2 hours ago, David W K said:

Hello everyone. I have been a member for a little while but have not yet started my first build log, I'm hopeing all goes well. 

I am not new to model ship building as I have built several kits, my first was the US Ranger, cain't remember the manufacturer, my 2nd  was the US Enterprise by Occre, 3rd was the Prince De Neufchatel from Model Shipways(Expo) 4th was the Brig Syren (MS). I was in construction of the Syren when we had a tornado come through our neighborhood which destroyed our house and unfortunately all of my finished and under construction ships. So about 2 yrs ago I purchased the Syren again as well as the Niagara (maybe should have waited on the Niagara but it was on sale) took awhile to decide which one to start. The Syren was my choice, wanting to replace the recent one.  

I will upload photos as I move along but and I've already started the build so some of the work such as the keel, false keel, bulwarks, stem and rabbit have been done except for the filler blocks, have yet to place them in.

I will take photos of what I've done this for. 

Here are a few photos of what I've done thus far and as you can see I have not yet added filler blocks. I am in the process of doing that now.

20230116_141137.jpg

20230116_141216.jpg

20230116_141230.jpg

Got a question. I know that filler blocks are needed for the stern and stem areas, but are they necessary between other bulkheads. I must confess that I've never used filler blocks on my past builds except for the stem/stern area. However, on this build I do want to use filler blocks but I'm having issues with the blocks causing my bulkheads to not be squared. Can someone please give me some tips. Thanks

13 minutes ago, David W K said:

but are they necessary between other bulkheads

Short answer: no. But they are helpful when it comes to keeping everything square and providing a base layer for planking.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

12 minutes ago, David W K said:

Got a question. I know that filler blocks are needed for the stern and stem areas, but are they necessary between other bulkheads. I must confess that I've never used filler blocks on my past builds except for the stem/stern area. However, on this build I do want to use filler blocks but I'm having issues with the blocks causing my bulkheads to not be squared. Can someone please give me some tips. Thanks

David, do you have a picture of a test fit of your filler blocks? I'm having difficulty imagining what is happening. . .

I just added mine and they actually helped straighten out things for me. They must be cut square and exactly to the width between bulkheads.  Do you have an electric chop saw?

110_0671.thumb.JPG.566e357508c81143d639cffdd382249a.JPG

2 minutes ago, bobandlucy said:

David, do you have a picture of a test fit of your filler blocks? I'm having difficulty imagining what is happening. . .

I just added mine and they actually helped straighten out things for me. They must be cut square and exactly to the width between bulkheads.  Do you have an electric chop saw?

110_0671.thumb.JPG.566e357508c81143d639cffdd382249a.JPG

Yes I do have an electric chop/miter saw and that's what I'm gonna use instead of my miter box which doesn't quite cut straight.