Newsboy by MrBlueJacket - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale 1/8"=1'

BlueJacket was commissioned to build the MS model Newsboy by a client. We found an old  kit over in Sweden and got it. Model Shipways actually did 2 kits of it, the other was a larger 3/16"=1' scale. The larger one had a foremast top, while this model does not. Our client was impressed by Pete Jacquinth's larger model. As is becoming normal here, Al builds the model but hands it off to me for the rigging. Here's what I received: (yards boom gaff not shown)

n1.thumb.jpg.a17c5a61f22727e450e017a786892718.jpg

First order of business is, of course, to mount the deadeyes. The Newsboy did not have chainplates, she had iron rods to attach the deadeyes. I'm simulating that with brass rod. To keep them even, I made a bending jig here:

n2.thumb.jpg.1de831a19fee09affdb69dcc77b48a17.jpg

And here's what one looks like finished:

n3.thumb.jpg.47d9769125db67c65ed9114b1e84e531.jpg

Only 23 more to go.................Hours of endless enjoyment.

First step is to elongate the holes for the chainplates. I tried an Xacto knife (tedious) and small files (still too large.) Then I remembered they sell abrasive thread in various sizes. I bought the .030" size, and started to saw away.

n1.thumb.jpg.59646dbc5d950f645d0e2634d41a01ae.jpg

In an hour, I had all 24 holes elongated.

Edited by MrBlueJacket

Next step is to figure the angle that the chainplates would take to have them line up with the shrouds. I took a piece of string where the shrouds started, and brought it down through the hole, then marked the line. Not a lot of difference between them, but it will make it look correct.

n2.thumb.jpg.9a8984ca1c3ad230a31062c8e9e94694.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Over the weekend, got 6 shrouds finished. Very important that the upper deadeyes are even with the waterline. Sometimes I have to re-adjust several times to get close. the for final adjustments, I can twist the shrouds to raise or lower the deadeye, and also vary the tension on the lanyards.

Newsboy.thumb.jpg.5f1597d0b227623c410d492c78a60045.jpg

Al has a picture of an eagle on his door with the saying "excellence is not a skill, it is an attitude" - why do I mention this?

So after doing the foretop shrouds, I was not happy with them, they were uneven.

N1.thumb.jpg.0eadc588a9a6abbb5c0ac5671f20cc82.jpg

So you guessed it, I ripped them off. Now mind you, these are only 3/32", our tiniest ones. The shrouds are .015"

N2.thumb.jpg.01e9367a6acf530056f35a99ef891bf4.jpg

Edited by MrBlueJacket

Nic, these needle threaders work great for getting into blocks hidden away in small tight spaces due to their flexibility and length. One disadvantage is the paper end one holds on to comes off easily. They will still work but control becomes a little more difficult.  

https://www.amazon.com/ZZHXSM-Threader-Threading-Embroidery-Threaders/dp/B08ZSL7DY8/ref=sr_1_10?crid=DZZAON3KBX52&keywords=long+needle+threaders&qid=1678975922&sprefix=long+needle-threaders%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-10