Occre Santisma - Planking the hull

Hello All,

I am building the Occre Santisma, getting to plank the hull, I am watching several videos and everyone is either using Cobbler Glue or supper glue for planking the hull. 

Can we use White glue for planking a hull? I am terrified of using CA or super glue as they run all over and also dry too quickly giving you no time for adjustments and also no mistake should be made! I know using white glue will take longer and need a lot of clamping technique, but like the fact you have some time.

Also, any difference in general between super glue and Cobbler/Contact glue? Instructions say use Cobbler glue not super glue, I am not sure if they are the same indeed.

Thanks a lot for your help, in advance.

I only use CA glue in areas like the bow and stern where the wood tends to have to much spring in it. And even then as little as I possibly can.

For gluing the planks to the bulkheads I personaly use Aliphactic wood glue. I find this gives a stronger bond than normal wood glue. 

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

6 hours ago, Paul Jarman said:

I only use CA glue in areas like the bow and stern where the wood tends to have to much spring in it.

Hi Paul,   There should be little to no spring in the planks if they have been spiled or otherwise shaped as in the planking article here at SW by David Antscherl or the four part video by Chuck Passaro.  It takes a little practice but the results are fantastic.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Fast drying PVA glue, such as the Titebond series and Aliphactic glue, will be a sweet spot.

Titebond I, II, II Dark, III - Various colors with low viscosity

Titebond White - High viscosity with more faster drying time

https://ralphsway.com/aliphatic-glue-vs-pva/

Edited by modeller_masa

I would only use cobbler glue/contact cement for a second layer of hull material.  Several Occre kits are designed this way and I been successful using contact cement for the second layer.  I think the Santisma model only has a single layer of planks on the hull.  I definitely would not use contact cement if that is the case.   I think the choice of glue is influenced by factors such as how close of a final fit are you getting on your planks prior to installation.  If you can get the planks close to the final shape, I would use CA and glue 2 - 3 bulkheads at a time working from bow towards the stern.  If you are not getting the shape close and have to nail or clamp the planks I would use wood glue, so you have a little more time to get the nails or clamps in place.  

Cobbler glue/contact cement is deferent than CA/super glue.   Contact cement is usually applied to both pieces being connected, you wait about ten minutes, then press the pieces together.  the pressure creates a bond that is difficult to pull apart as soon as you apply the pressure.  It works great when you have large surface areas to apply the clue to.  Not sure it would work well for applying planks to bulkheads with limited surface area.  

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull, the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways and USF Essex - Model Shipways.