Mini Revenue Cutter 1829 by Bill Hudson

Last November I got hit with one of those nasty respiratory virus. It knocked the crap out of me for a  couple of months. By time I made it to my 91st birthday I last week I finally started pulling out of it.  Now I’m getting antsy .Later this afternoon I decided to start on a small project just to keep busy. I had some basswood sheets that had been in  drawer for too many years so I decided to build a mini Revenue Cutter.  Cut the sheets down to 4” x 5” sheets. I ripped each sheet into six equal width strips. I glue laminated the strips into six layers. This gave me two laminated blocks the same size. I will Lay out half of the hull on each block and saw them to profiles. I wil lay out and cut the keel and sandwich it between the two blocks giving me a rough hull which I will carve to shape.

image.jpeg.69b01e1d46ac075a778ad717703224ac.jpegimage.jpeg.17f1dcc5bcc320b31a6943b043a800c9.jpegimage.jpeg.d6b9bc6b2e8b38b302dacee0ee3bf976.jpeg

Fall down nine times, get up ten.

Since this is going to be a log, I've moved it to the proper area here the Scratch Area.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

No rush, Bill.  Don't push your luck by generating wood dust.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

A little progress although slow going. I cut the deck boards from 1/64"thick model plywood.  Because the veneer is so thin I had to be cautious of sanding through it. What looks like uneven decking boards on the fantail are just differences on the absorbs of the stain each board. I feel once the transom and braces are in place plus the tiller it will not be so obvious. 

decking - 1.jpeg

Hello Bill, I'm new to this forum and new to model boat building.  I just ordered my first set of plans and cannot wait for them to arrive from across the pond.  Meanwhile I shall follow your build log and take notes on your techniques. Nice looking build so far.

Denis

=Denis-

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Under Construction

Miranda

Thanks Denis,

This ship model is just a fun project to bide some time. I am using any kind of scrap from my bin that will work. Although am using traditional methods for building a sandwich hull, nothing unique.  
Before you start whacking away at a chunk of wood I suggest you do some research on carving a solid wood hull. Also use an easy carving wood. Several of Blue Jacket kits (several builds posted here) are solid wood hulls. They come simi preformed and you will have do the finish carving.  I suggest that would be a good place for you to start.

Edited by Bill Hudson

Dennis and Bill,

There is a very nice series of videos by Tom Lauria in Mystic, CT.: Building a Whaleboat. He describes, in an easy to understand way, a method of carving a hull. It appears similar to Bill’s approach. Below is a link to episode two, where he begins the process. 

I am in the middle of a scratch build, or maybe I’m at the beginning. Either way, when its completed I’m thinking of carving a small very small scale model. I’ll be following this build. Bill, I hope you are feeling better. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I turned 92 last month and My hands are quite shaky but I have not given up, it is still on my workbench. I have done some minor work recently. Am fitting the rudder next.  Question: would the cutter have copper on hull back then? What might have been an upper hull color?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the hull would likely have been coppered.  Black, with white across the gunports was a common color of the American sailing Navy.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I am not sure a small revenue cutter would have a coppered hull. Chapelle's The Search For Speed Under Sail (second printing 1983, page 208) says "many American schooners were copper-sheathed and fastened after 1795, though this was expensive until 1815. As late as 1822, however, the old lime-and-tallow, or "white bottom," was still being extensively used in the United States."

The British began experimenting with copper sheathing in the mid 1700s, but had a lot of problems. Copper sheathing reacted galvanically with the iron fastenings, causing holes in the sheathing that exposed the wood to wood boring worms. It wasn't until the late 1700s that copper sheathing was used extensively in the Royal Navy.

After the early 1800s copper sheathing was common on larger, more expensive American vessels. Commercial ships often did not have sheathing. Copper was expensive so it sometimes wasn't used on smaller vessels. Copper sheathing was said to have lasted only a few years and had to be replaced frequently up until the late 1820s when copper alloy fastenings were used to prevent galvanic erosion.

Another consideration is the area where the vessel was operated. Wood boring worms weren't found in higher latitude cooler waters or fresh water. But if the vessel was to operate in equatorial waters copper sheathing was necessary.

The color of the paints depended upon the cost of the pigments. Normally only the cheapest colors were used, except on large men of was and yachts.

Chapelle's The Baltimore Clipper (1968, page 170) says yellow, black, green and blue paints were used on the hulls, with yellow or white bands. Other sources say American vessels generally followed British customs, but up until the mid 1800s the US Navy didn't have a standard paint scheme. The colors were left up to the ships owner or Captain, so there was a lot of variation.

However, I have read that black hulls with yellow bands along the gun ports was common through the early 1800s. After about 1830 white bands were common, and white deck furniture and mast tops followed. There was no sudden change of fashion, and I have seen pictures of vessels with white mast tops from the late 1700s.

Still going. Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions for hull and painting. Despite the setbacks of age and tremors I have decided not to give up just because my work now is not any near what it used to be. Ths model keeps my active an d helps me mentally. 

I have built a hatch.  I used fine strips painted black on sides as I would for decking. Nothing like  photograph to shoe you al the flaws however I think that once i finish with ll the deck furniture I can give it final primer and fine sanding. 

Thank you ll for your indulgence and good feed back.

Bill

mini ship - 1.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

A  break away from the ship momently.  Trying to airbrush has been a problem.  Only had a very noisy compressor out in the garage. It is not at all compatible in my little shop off the dining room. I looked on the internet and found several about  4"x4"I was reluctant to order from the unknown source but discovered a similar on in the Micro-Mark catalog that is rated at 25psi. .  I ordered it but the hose connections do not fit my Passche airbrush. I  contacted the MM tech department and got Dave.  He sent me an adapter free of charge which works.  Has a nice flow of air although I haven't tried any paint through it. 

compressor - 1.jpeg

I am interested in seeing how this works. I have an old compressor that makes only about 18 psi and that doesn't work with some paints and tips.