Value-for-Money Airbrush

Folks I post this with a little hesitation - mods please delete if it exceeds guidelines.  I came across the following airbrush deal the other day which is real value-for-money BUT it appears to be a Chinese knock-off even if sold in USA.  As such I cannot vouch on how much of a knock-off it is?

That said, and if OK to post; the package offers everything you need except the air-compressor.  As discussed in the YouTube review, the cost of the accessories included is greater than for the whole package.  His tests als0 show that it works well. 

For consideration and apologies if this product is overstepping the 'piracy code'.

Amazon.com: NEOECO Multi-Purpose Airbrush Kit, Dual-Action Gravity Feed Air Brush Sets with with Crown Nozzle, 9cc 20cc 40cc Cup, 0.2, 0.3 & 0.5mm Needles for Makeup Nail Art Shoes Tattoo Cake Toy Model : Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Here is the review I base this on.  Sorry - I had the wrong link here (30 Jan 2022)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

If you are just starting out, this combo can't be beat: Airbrush Kit

Edited by Oldsalt1950

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

Hi Pat,

I quite like the look of the Air-Brush kit.

A plethora of accessories!! (I might just have to save for one.)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

My daughter is a pro artist and she warned me about low-end brushes. She has tossed half a dozen in the bin over the last few years.

Vivo makes an OK compressor but personally I would shy away from the brushes on her recommendation.

I don't know about NEOECO, but a $40 airbrush seems too good to be true... I guess it couldn't hurt to try it, at that price it is essentially disposable.

The barrel looks startlingly similar to my $300+ Harder and Steenbeck Infinity but I'm pretty sure that's where the similarity ends.

I have been more than happy with my brush, it is a joy to use.

To expand on Bob's comment: Should this brush perform like the knock-off it is, others will have to follow.  You will find yourself sneaking up, at wasteful cost of time and money, to the brush you should have bought in the first place.

Even if the knock-off sprays like you think it should, you will be forever asking yourself if the "real one" could do better. 

You may find the needle is too soft to resist bending, or the threads at disassembly points for cleaning don't hold up.

Pride of ownership is not based on hollow emotional feelings.  It comes from demonstrable performance and the saving of time and money.  Think of the time to redo the finish on your model due to poor performance of the brush.  The real deal is worth owning.

On 1/27/2023 at 10:07 PM, Oldsalt1950 said:

If you are just starting out, this combo can't be beat: Airbrush Kit

Edited Friday at 10:12 PM by Oldsalt1950 (see edit history)

Oldsallt1950:

Your signature line of "I stand firmly against piracy!" is misplaced with this post as at a minimum one of the 3 brushes is pirated from Binks.  The bottom black airbrush is a direct copy of the Badger 350 - who took over the design from Binks - their neighbor across the street when Binks stopped making airbrushes.  I have both the original Binks "Wren" I got for Xmas and two of the 350's from Badger.  I think this is the most copied airbrush on the market.  And there is a reason, ass it is a very good airbrush for it's intended use.

I am willing to bet that all 3 are pirated, but I know the black one is a knockoff of the 350.  I consult with Badger, so I know of what I speak.  Why do I have two of the 350's?  I teach airbrushing for Badger using Badger brushes.  I have many Badger brushes (two were custom made for me) and they are all great.  They fit my large hands perfectly with the exception of their Crescendo 175 model.  I use the Badger Modelflex Marine Colors for all my models and teaching.  I developed these colors for Badger a bunch of years ago.  They are acrylics.  I was using the Badger 360 and Modelflex paints long before I had a relationship with Badger.

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/library/175.jpgIt is too fat for me to hold comfortably which was why I sold my Paasche brush and bought my Badger 360.  I know what you are asking?  I thought he had big hands?  I do but the fat brushes just don't fit my hand.

I love my Badgers, but they are only one make.  All of the legitimate name airbrushes are great brushes - IF they fit your hand and you use the right brush for the job.  In my local IPMS club that I attend there is another modeler who does essentially what I do with Badger except he goes to more trade show for Iwata.  When somebody asks a general question about airbrushes we are both given equal time to answer the question unless it's specific with one brand or another.  Many times all that the other will have to say is "I agree completely" because the name brands produce near identical results with comparable models.

But, please purchase name brand brushes - you will benefit in the end.  And try getting somebody from the Pirates to answer questions or come to your club meeting to show the latest brushes, paints or let you spray with one.

Take care,

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Kurt, you may be absolutely correct in your determination that the black airbrush is a direct copy of the Badger 350. I will also concede that all 3 brushes could be knock offs of other designs. There is no way of knowing for sure outside of comparing them to the blueprints of the originals they may have been copied from and taking measurements. There are not many differences between airbrushes cosmetically on the outside. The internals however are another matter. Fit, finish and choice of materials along with placement of O-rings,  springs, etc. make the design. Chances are, that if you have anything on your workbench that is "made in China" it is pirated. It is also possible it could be a legitimate copy as some companies outsource items under direct license. 

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

I know that Badger did not license the 350 to anybody.  It is a pirated brush.  No idea on the others though.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I personally prefer buying tools made in the USA where possible but lots of tools sold by major name brands unfortunately are not made here.  I rather suspect that my Black & Decker Drill was made in China.  A cynical marketing ploy seems to involve taking over highly regarded companies and then outsourcing manufacture to low wage countries.  The only thing that survives is the name.

Note to all:  I am NOT suggesting that Badger is involved in this sort of practice.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

Right now, just about every tool for sale in the US comes from China, Snap-on , Mac, matco, and craftsman, all chinese . I searched high and low for a real spry gun made in the US, My Devillis fell off my bench and broke, of 15 years   You better think about it again, it may be assembled here, but its parts come from China. The one I bought was from Germany, it cost 600$. . Im very satisfied with it. The crap from china would spit , couldn't hold a spray pattern, just junk.

The US manufacturing sector sold out to the chi coms for the almighty BUCK . The air tools I have are just as bad, they last about a year then you through them away. I have a REAL Chicago Pneumatic impact wrench from the late 60s, still works like new . The Jig saw I bought for making this model lasted about 3 hours, a B&D,  cutting the plywood caused it to start smoking, It's in the trash can. I'll stop now, before I get on my soap box.

2 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

Note to all:  I am NOT suggesting that Badger is involved in this sort of practice.

Right you are Roger.  Every piece of every brush is made in the USA.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I try and buy good brand name tools for my shop and the models I make, I ordered a battery Dremel tool, I got it the other day and was using it and the battery fell out of the handle !.  I put it back in and it fell out, the tabs that hold the battery in place are to weak to hold it in place, Amazon will take it back and give me a refund. Just to show, there is NO QUALITY CONTROLL in china for any product. As they say garbage in , garbage out . Now if you want a real scare. Cadillac 4 and 6 cylinder drive trains are made in China,  Wow Im going out and spent 65K$ on chinese carp . If you want to buy auto parts from E bay,,,, 98% of everything on sale is from China . I have no farther comment on that.

Edited by Alex-Ks1

On 1/28/2023 at 1:45 AM, VitusBering said:

My daughter is a pro artist and she warned me about low-end brushes. She has tossed half a dozen in the bin over the last few years.

Vivo makes an OK compressor but personally I would shy away from the brushes on her recommendation.

I don't know about NEOECO, but a $40 airbrush seems too good to be true... I guess it couldn't hurt to try it, at that price it is essentially disposable.

The barrel looks startlingly similar to my $300+ Harder and Steenbeck Infinity but I'm pretty sure that's where the similarity ends.

I have been more than happy with my brush, it is a joy to use.

Hello. I am trying to figure out what brand of airbrush I should buy.  What exactly makes an airbrush good or bad, other than the namebrand?

THank you.

7 hours ago, targa4403 said:

Hello. I am trying to figure out what brand of airbrush I should buy.  What exactly makes an airbrush good or bad, other than the namebrand?

THank you.

I'm probably not the best person to ask. I rely on others' opinions and recommendations (my daughter in particular) but I'm not an expert.

The basic features - gravity feed (top or side feed) or siphon, single vs. dual action - these are things I'm afraid you'll have to decide for yourself.

There are plenty of tutorial and review videos available on the Internet.

I do think brand is important. I happen to really like Harder and Steenbeck, a German company. kurtvd19 is associated with a very reputable company (Badger, an American company) - I would ask him as well, he's much more experienced than I.

For what it's worth, I use a Harder and Steenbeck Infinity CRplus Two in One with 0.2 and 0.4 mm needles. It is a gravity feed style.

Edited by VitusBering
Fix typo

I am attaching a link to Badger's website.  Click on it and then download their ULTIMATE AIRBRUSH 101.  It is a great guide to almost everything one needs to get started in airbrushing.  On Page 5 of 13 the part about how to pick an airbrush starts.  This tells you the brush or brushes they recommend for doing particular jobs.  There is no one best airbrush for every job, but there is one best brush for a specific job.  The trick is deciding what's most important for your particular job.  And there are great brushes from all of the name brands.

Badger Website CLICK HERE  

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I’m an Iwata user generally, but when I needed to spray 2 pack etch primer it was a Badger airbrush that got me sorted. They had a 0.8mm nozzle airbrush and it performed perfectly where nothing I had came close.

Like others have said, to a great extent choice will be dependent on what you want to achieve.

Thank you.

Paul.

I would love an IWATA after having their pro HVLP gun for another of my $$ hobbies but doubt I could justify the cost. A Badger looked good but so did the Paashe TG3-AS which I ultimately purchased a couple weeks ago. MSRP is $209 but it's available many places for $100-$125. I haven't used it, just admired the build since it really needs an initial cleaning and a test run first. Everything about this tool says Made in the USA, not Made in the USA and assembled of worldwide sourced parts like so many items these days. There are a couple You Tube videos about this air brush that are interesting.

My wife got me a lower end airbrush for Christmas from Amazon this past Christmas.  It's my first one, and am quite happy with it.  I took it my local hobby shop and talked to owner about it, and he thought it looked like an AK knockoff.  It's super basic, but for me it seems like a good introduction into the airbrush world.  It came with a small compressor even.  Brand is MEEDEN.  https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09MHBB1FZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Looks like a basic, all-purpose low end product.  As my hobby shop guy told me...once I get used to this one, as it should get me started, and I want to upgrade, come see him and he will hook me up - he carries a lot of the major manufacturers and different models of each.

I've used it a couple times, once just to toy with it and get the feel for it, but I've done 2 painting sessions on a cheaper model kit I got for Christmas as well, and it is pretty cool what you can do, and so much faster, and neater than using a brush.  Not sure how this brush is for doing really fine details or lines yet, but again......I will monkey around with it and see what it can do.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 3:11 PM, BANYAN said:

Folks I post this with a little hesitation - mods please delete if it exceeds guidelines.  I came across the following airbrush deal the other day which is real value-for-money BUT it appears to be a Chinese knock-off even if sold in USA.  As such I cannot vouch on how much of a knock-off it is?

That said, and if OK to post; the package offers everything you need except the air-compressor.  As discussed in the YouTube review, the cost of the accessories included is greater than for the whole package.  His tests als0 show that it works well. 

For consideration and apologies if this product is overstepping the 'piracy code'.

Amazon.com: NEOECO Multi-Purpose Airbrush Kit, Dual-Action Gravity Feed Air Brush Sets with with Crown Nozzle, 9cc 20cc 40cc Cup, 0.2, 0.3 & 0.5mm Needles for Makeup Nail Art Shoes Tattoo Cake Toy Model : Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Here is the review I base this on.  Sorry - I had the wrong link here (30 Jan 2022)

cheers

Pat

My Air Brush just gave up the ghost so I have ordered. one.

It is scheduled to arrive early March, I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Joe:

I have a bunch - all Badger.  My 360 is my #1 gun.  I use several others regularly but the little old 350 is my hull painting brush.

Take care,

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Cheers HOF, thanks.  I just received one with the intention to see how it performs also.  Everything in the box looks OK, and surprisingly of better quality than I had thought it would be, but have yet to test it.  One note of caution, the needles seem extra fine/slim (not the tip, but overall) so they may be prone to damage quicker than for a name brand version.  It may pay to find a source for replacement needles (I will let you know if I find a source) as I am not sure if other brand needles will fit through?  I have yet to test for spray pattern, atomising etc but even if I don't use the airbrush, the parts alone cover the cost.  I intend to have it permanently set-up with the 0.3 or 0.5 needle to use for putting down my base/primer coats, and use my H&S for finish coats and detailing.  That way I am not constantly changing needles, and for primer coats, if the atomising works as well as the guy claims in the online test, then it will be just fine for this purpose.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

On 2/13/2023 at 11:53 AM, BANYAN said:

Cheers HOF, thanks.  I just received one with the intention to see how it performs also.  Everything in the box looks OK, and surprisingly of better quality than I had thought it would be, but have yet to test it.  One note of caution, the needles seem extra fine/slim (not the tip, but overall) so they may be prone to damage quicker than for a name brand version.  It may pay to find a source for replacement needles (I will let you know if I find a source) as I am not sure if other brand needles will fit through?  I have yet to test for spray pattern, atomising etc but even if I don't use the airbrush, the parts alone cover the cost.  I intend to have it permanently set-up with the 0.3 or 0.5 needle to use for putting down my base/primer coats, and use my H&S for finish coats and detailing.  That way I am not constantly changing needles, and for primer coats, if the atomising works as well as the guy claims in the online test, then it will be just fine for this purpose.

cheers

Pat

Thanks for that Pat.

I'll be using mine for pretty much the same task as yourself.

If you could please advise a source for spares, it would be very much appreciated.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Harry:

I one buys a brand name there isn't a need to find a source of parts.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Our industry is very small, whether buyers, sellers, or manufacturers. If we want to encourage some small manufacturers to invest in machinery to make products locally, we have to lead by example, and buy locally-made products. Otherwise, if we are always looking for the cheapest solution, manufacturers will have little incentive to invest, create jobs, innovate, and feed our industry. 

Rick Shousha

Montreal

My main airbrushes are an Iwata HP-CH and an Iwata HP-C+.

I run these on an Iwata Studio Series compressor. These are what I have tended to use for both my magazine work and also my Vanguard Models prototypes. 

However, with Indefatigable and her size, these airbrushes weren't as friendly, so I splashed out a 'small' fortune on a new airbrush. The larger needle allows me to give a good wetting to the hull with polyurethane varnish. 

Ta da!! 

As long as it does the job, all is good. 

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 20.57.34.png

61Sp2uXIRlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

4 hours ago, kurtvd19 said:

Harry:

I one buys a brand name there isn't a need to find a source of parts.

Kurt

1 hour ago, rshousha said:

Our industry is very small, whether buyers, sellers, or manufacturers. If we want to encourage some small manufacturers to invest in machinery to make products locally, we have to lead by example, and buy locally-made products. Otherwise, if we are always looking for the cheapest solution, manufacturers will have little incentive to invest, create jobs, innovate, and feed our industry. 

1 hour ago, James H said:

My main airbrushes are an Iwata HP-CH and an Iwata HP-C+.

I run these on an Iwata Studio Series compressor. These are what I have tended to use for both my magazine work and also my Vanguard Models prototypes. 

However, with Indefatigable and her size, these airbrushes weren't as friendly, so I splashed out a 'small' fortune on a new airbrush. The larger needle allows me to give a good wetting to the hull with polyurethane varnish. 

Ta da!! 

As long as it does the job, all is good. 

Screenshot 2023-02-15 at 20.57.34.png

61Sp2uXIRlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thanks Gentlemen,

I am well aware of the sensibilities of purchasing a "Branded" Air-Brush. (If I could, I would!!)

I do have an Iwata but this is not working well, I purchased a 0.5mm replacement needle but not much improvement. (When I am a little more "Solvent" I'll look at a Nussle.)

So, purely a case of economics purchasing a "Value for money" Air-Brush kit.

The most important thing is that it will do what I need it to do. 🙂

A saying I picked up a few years ago: "There are three things in life, Quick, Cheap and Good, in reality there are only ever two." 🙂

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson