Hello from coastal Virginia

East Ender

Hello to all from coastal Virginia, near Deltaville on the Chesapeake Bay, where Chesapeake Bay Deadrise crabbing boats are built and used. Originally and growing up along Long Island Sound on the far east end of Long Island,N.Y. , I look forward to reading about the fine aspects of model ship building. My first kit, Bluejackets Grand Banks Dory is on my bench. I've been watching videos by Tom Lauria, who has given me much inspiration,and have learned much from him with his YouTube videos. I am transitioning from building balsa r/c flying, so I have some basics with working with wood, but not nearly enough experience with ships. I need to get building as my wife is getting tired of me saying I need to buy another tool for this project. Glad to be here, East Ender

Tim Lent

Super warm welcome to MSW EE.

Were you anywhere near Goldsmith Inlet in Peconic?   It has been a few years now, but there was some great clamming in that little bay!   And then you wind up in the land of Chesapeake Bay salty bottoms -  you are a lucky guy!!   Starting with the GB dory is a very smart move.  I will not be surprised to see you tackle a bugeye or skipjack down the road. 

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

EE

My first ocean scuba dive was around a WWII submarine pier at the north fork but that was in '69 so I have no idea where it was exactly, but it was COLD in April or May.    We got no fish there but we did get a deer (with the car) on the way there.   Good memories for me and I am sure MANY more for you.

Cheers

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

:sign:

The  place to Be !!!

Edited by Knocklouder

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Welcome aboard. I grew up in Mt. Sinai, had a house out in Ridge. use to laugh when I heard people tell me they saw strange lights over the Island out near Riverhead, Damn E-2 Tracker dish reflections do strange things. 

Jim

Edited by Oldsalt1950

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

Hi East Ender and welcome to Model Ship World.  Are you a member of the Deltaville Ship Modelers Guild?  They meet monthly at the Deltaville Maritime Museum. Some of their members are also members of the Hampton Roads Ship Model Society that meets at the Mariners Museum in Newport News. Good to have you aboard.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

On 2/3/2023 at 9:39 PM, Ryland Craze said:

Hi East Ender and welcome to Model Ship World.  Are you a member of the Deltaville Ship Modelers Guild?  They meet monthly at the Deltaville Maritime Museum. Some of their members are also members of the Hampton Roads Ship Model Society that meets at the Mariners Museum in Newport News. Good to have you aboard.

Tim Lent

Hello Ryland and thanks for the welcome and information. I live only a few minutes from the museum in Deltaville. It's a beautiful museum. As you know, there was a devastating fire there some years back, and I helped fight that fire. I remember some of the Deltaville firefighters saving various ship models and furniture from burning. I was running a Hartfield VFD Tanker shuttle during the fire . It was a very sad day for the community.  As for the Mariners Museum in Newport News, I will be visiting it shortly. I live on the Piankatank River in Hartfield where some Civil War history occurred, involving the Union Blockade action which involved the USS Tulip. The story can be read in the book The Chesapeake Bay in the Civil War. 

Tim Lent

Welcome to MSW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Current Wood Builds

HMS Victory Cross Section 

Future Wood Builds

18th Century Longboat-Model Shipways

America Cup Endeavour Kit-Amati

1/50 san Fransisco II Cross Section- Artesania Latina

1910 American Fishing Schooner Elsie-Model Shipways

1/100 Korean Turtle Warship

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, East Ender said:

My apologies Dave, I never answered your question. Yes, I would like to change it to  Tim Lent

Not a problem.  Go up the upper right to your screen name  and hit "Profile" and then "Account Settings".  You can change it there.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

14 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Not a problem.  Go up the upper right to your screen name  and hit "Profile" and then "Account Settings".  You can change it there.

Thank you for that, but it looks like I need to have reached 100 posts before I can utilize that option. Tim

Tim Lent

Rats.  Been a bit since I've dove into that.   Unfortunately, moderators don't have permission to change it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Tim, You can add your name in the signature portion of your profile.  When you post, your name will appear automatically at the bottom of your post.  To do this, click on your profile picture.  This will open up your profile screen and then hit the edit button.  The signature section is located near the bottom of the edit section.  Save your changes and you will be all set.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat