TRITON Cross Section bbrockel

Ron, If you are referring to the second lower deck beam, its the paper template coming unglued from the wood, but no split.  Thanks for keeping an eye out.

Thank you Russ.  Just trying to keep up with your quality level of work.  I'm really enjoying your Biloxi Schooner build.

Sorry Bob. It must have been my bad eye site.  :blush:  

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Sorry Bob. It must have been my bad eye site.  :blush:  

I think it was a good catch even though it turned out to be nothing.  Your welcome to critic my builds any time.  

Bob,

deck beam jig pictures (design from The Fully Framed Model by David Antscherl).

Basic construction, this is a realy rough looking jig (built out of scrap lying around the workshop), but it works well. The height extension on the head of the jig is not neccessary, I put it on to sand the curve into my beam arms.

post-666-0-81189900-1362475798.jpgpost-666-0-77242100-1362475816.jpgpost-666-0-46390300-1362475843.jpg

Sand the curve into the underside of the beam as normal, then adjust the depth of the jig and feed the beam in from the left, against the drum rotation. You need to try and keep the curve of the beam at a right angle to the head of the jig whilst feeding it through, my apologies, this is badly described, but I think you will get it. Repeat, gradually screwing the jig toward the drum until you get to the required thickness. I was doing 2 passes through jig between adjustments. Do be aware that you are using a drill press for a job it is not really designed for (horizontal force), it's best not to sand too much at each pass.

post-666-0-10272100-1362476093.jpgpost-666-0-20323600-1362476418.jpg

I hope I haven't offended you by highjacking your log. If you have any queries regarding this, please just ask.

Regards,

Grant.

Edited by Boccherini

Don't apoligize, Grant.  You didn't highjack my thread in any way.  Great jig for lending curve to the deck beams.  Thanks for the pics.

Ron, please feel free to point out anything you see amiss.  Daniel is right, good catch.  I might have missed something.  That's why the many eyes here on the forum are so valuable.  Particularly to a novice like me. 

Edited by bbrockel

"I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate   ;) "

Current builds:

H.M.S. TRITON Cross Section by Bbrockel - Scratch Build - Scale 1:48

US Brig Syren by Bbrockel - Model Shipways -Scale 1:64

Grant

What did you do to highlight the seams?? On your outside planking that is??

Thanks Good Luck on the build.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Rocker, the caulking on the hull planks is black construction paper, cut into thin strips and glued to the thin edge of a plank.  Once I have several planks with the caulking, I use 220-grit sand paper to sand the 'caulking' flush with the planks.  Take a brush and occasionaly brush away the fine paper dust left from sanding so you don't grind the paper dust into the wood.

Current builds:

I have a question for the TRITON Cross Setion builders.  Is there a practicum for this build?  I have seen it mentioned in a couple of the builds, but have not been able to find one.  I have all the plans printed and placed in a notebook but nothing on a practicum.

Current builds:

Bob,

Pete has it right, there were only other build logs as references. Several were very good, but that is all past history.  I see Joss (Matrim) has reposted his build log along with a couple of others. The Fully Framed Model books by David Antscherl are very helpful if you are looking for guidance on construction methods and extra detail.

Regrads,

Grant.

Check out Uweks build as he was the member who put the most detail into how and why  - his log is gradually getting reposted up again (and is quite large). That will help out with the order of building. What you tend to find though is that members used to copy what they liked out of individual logs so you might use one persons caulking method but another's method of coppering.

If there is no advice covering anything you need to know then ask in your log. The biggest advantage the site still retains is that there are a large number of people who have completed the cross section (and full build plus the Echo build now) - even if their logs have gone. So essentially there are a lot of people who have addressed the very thing you are looking at and should hopefully have an answer.

Joss

Thank you Joss and Grant for your guidance.  Grant, I have the TFFM series and will refer to them.  Also Just acquired a copy of Peter Goodwin's "The Construction and Fitting of the English Man-of-War".  Both very good references.  Joss, Uweks build is also a great reference.  Have been following it as it develops here on MSW 2.0.

Current builds:

• 2 weeks later...

:)

Christian, Ron, Rocker and Grant.  Thank you all for looking in on my build and your kind words.  The idea for the extended keel to screw it down to the build board came from another member here on the forum prior to the "Great Crash".  I just borrowed it.  :rolleyes:   

Hello Bob,

You've solved one issue for me already with the extended keel. Man, I've got to get that GBB completed so I can get underway. :D   

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Patrick, take your time on your gantry build board.  Make sure everything is square to the board.  You're going to use this board on many future builds and you want to get it right the first time.

Current builds:

• 4 weeks later...

Just found a major boo-boo.  I miscounted the number of rows of planks on the starboard side verses the port side.  UGH!  Looks like I'll have to remove the wales and that beautiful anchor stock planking on the starboard side to add another row of planking.  And as I have said before, the pain subsided once I quit banging my head on the wall.       :wacko:

post-54-0-43335500-1365715192_thumb.jpg

post-54-0-31444100-1365715235_thumb.jpg

Current builds:

Russ, that is correct, the wales and the anchor stock planking, will have to be removed.  Abou7t half way thru removing the planks.  Just removed the bottom waleand the anchor stoc planking, not I can add the missing row and re add the planking and the new wale.

Current builds:

Bob:

I see. In future, always measure for and set the wales first, and then plank below them. This will save you having to go through this again.

Good luck.

Russ

You shouldn't have said anything we wouldn't have noticed.   ;)   I'm sure you'll be happier after the redo.  

Russ, a very valuable lesson learned here.

Daniel, I thought long and hard about doing just that, then decided to do it the right way.

Pete38, thanks for the condolences.  I will definitely feel better redoing the planking corectly.

Current builds:

Bob 

Nice planking. Show us some pictures after the redo.

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

I totally understand Bob.  We would never know but you would and it would bug you every time you looked at it.  You'll enjoy it all the more after the redo.  

Bob that is very nice planking.I had a the same problem and just left it and I kick myself every day.You made the right choise.

Larry

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Dan, Matrim and Ron, thank you for confirming I'm doing right by redoing the planking.  I've got most of the old planks removed and am starting on the new ones.  I feel better about my decision now.  And the bumps on my head are healing very well.  :P

Current builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I found you Bob! Nice looking work on the cross-section. You jumped ahead of me on scratch building as I am still trying to finish the Pinco kit. As soon as that project is done I will join you in the scratch building world. So far you seem to be doing quite well with it.

Did you get anything from the wood working store on Saturday? Maybe a bandsaw? I picked up a Jet 1220vs lathe so the wife could join me in the woodworking hobby (getting her to build model ships is next).

Richard

• 1 month later...