Blackburn Buccaneer S.2C by CDW & AJohnson - FINISHED - Airfix - 1:48

AJohnson

16 minutes ago, Canute said:

Lots of straps there, Craig. Tough to do them up on alert, before the canopy came down.

Did the RN/RAF use leg garters on the fronts of their MB seats? We had one above each ankle and another just above the knee. They lived in the cockpit. Held our legs tight to the seat for high speed ejections.

Not sure if they are leg garters, but it looks like the 2 straps labeled “pe 12” could be what you are referring to. I have those and one other piece (strap?) yet to add. See part pe 6. Not sure what it is.

BA884F5E-09E7-4F3C-94F2-C230DDDF82DE.jpeg

The PE12 parts are the lines the flyers leg garters route thru. Holds the legs tight to the seat to prevent flailing legs. 😄

PE6 is I believe a harness restraint system. Essentially an inertia reel. Pulls your shoulders back to the parachute case in the initial stages of an ejection. Had to dig up my old -1, flight manual, to look at the  diagram. We were always taught to sit bolt upright before we ejected, if at all able. Of course, being Rocket Man for a few seconds could cause spinal injuries. That's why there is no padding on an ejection seat, just a piece of Nomex cloth.😉

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

26 minutes ago, Canute said:

The PE12 parts are the lines the flyers leg garters route thru. Holds the legs tight to the seat to prevent flailing legs. 😄

PE6 is I believe a harness restraint system. Essentially an inertia reel. Pulls your shoulders back to the parachute case in the initial stages of an ejection. Had to dig up my old -1, flight manual, to look at the  diagram. We were always taught to sit bolt upright before we ejected, if at all able. Of course, being Rocket Man for a few seconds could cause spinal injuries. That's why there is no padding on an ejection seat, just a piece of Nomex cloth.😉

Seems counter intuitive that no padding is better. The alternative to no ejection even worse. Got to be one of those things you hope you never have to do. What about the straps hanging off each side of the headrest. What do those do?

26264243-6464-487D-8FCA-36C6347ECB07.jpeg

I think the complexity of the harness system illustrates the challenge it would be trying to create your own vice buying them as aftermarket. Finding reference material to learn how it all fits together would be no small task as well. In some cases nothing short of an actual visit to see and photograph the real thing would suffice 

My ejection seats lack highlighting, a gloss clear coat, decals, and a flat varnish. After these will begin detailing and painting of the cockpit tub, instrument panels, and side consoles. 
Because I have entered five of my finished models into a regional IPMS show coming up this next Saturday, much of my available time will be spent getting my models ready for the show. Updates to this thread may be sparse.

382EBB55-3CEA-402B-AC94-D463B3388E33.jpeg

C0766B4F-BC16-4111-B140-CBA346A7AE75.jpeg

8F84A231-7A8A-4931-AC69-97E5C0B39015.jpeg

A little late, but useful nonetheless.

PE 1 & 2," butt snappers" to separate you from the ejection seat. We didn't have them; had a different system with drogue chutes on top of the seat.

PE 5, straps to hold the flaps on top of the parachute. That 2 tone inverted U shape is the parachute container. The D ring cord runs up the left riser to the actual release loops on top of this. The 4 straps hold down a cover over this.

PE 8,  lower ejection handle. My go to handle in flight; it forces me to keep my arms tucked in.

PE 7 & 9, I think they're part of the single release harness system favored in the UK.

PE 10, lower part of the harness system and seat kit fasteners. Another part of the single point release

PE 11, lap belt, obviously

PE 13, Parachute restraint straps. Holds the parachute container in the seat until the seat functions to separate from you.

Any other questions, just ask. And no, I never ejected from a real aircraft. Did do an ejection seat trainer, a zillion years ago.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

51 minutes ago, Canute said:

A little late, but useful nonetheless.

PE 1 & 2," butt snappers" to separate you from the ejection seat. We didn't have them; had a different system with drogue chutes on top of the seat.

PE 5, straps to hold the flaps on top of the parachute. That 2 tone inverted U shape is the parachute container. The D ring cord runs up the left riser to the actual release loops on top of this. The 4 straps hold down a cover over this.

PE 8,  lower ejection handle. My go to handle in flight; it forces me to keep my arms tucked in.

PE 7 & 9, I think they're part of the single release harness system favored in the UK.

PE 10, lower part of the harness system and seat kit fasteners. Another part of the single point release

PE 11, lap belt, obviously

PE 13, Parachute restraint straps. Holds the parachute container in the seat until the seat functions to separate from you.

Any other questions, just ask. And no, I never ejected from a real aircraft. Did do an ejection seat trainer, a zillion years ago.

Thanks Ken! That’s a wealth of information. I need to take the time to absorb it and hopefully, remember what you have provided. 
Ejection seats must be a very expensive part of an aircraft, both initially and over time with maintenance.

35 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Very neat looking seats Craig, you have set the bar high for when I finally get around to mine!  
Good luck with the show next weekend, let us know how you get on. 

Thanks! I am not competitive these days like I once was but thought entering some models will help a local club who is sponsoring the event. The club has been putting on this show biannually for the past couple of decades, maybe longer. It's always been a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to it regardless. 

Craig, I inherited a canvas bag that holds all the safing pins from our ejection seat trainer. The chair had to be turned in, when we converted to the tanker, but I guess the guys in the shop liked me, so I was gifted the pin bag. There are I think 13 pins that were installed in the seat to safe all the assorted charges on the chair, since they were all exposed. That's some off those little tubes you see on the castings. The follow on jets, F-15, 17, A-10 all have ACES II seats and have I think one lever to safe the seat. Progress.

Seats are looking good. Interesting feature of the Bucc was the backseat is offset from the front seat, instead of the inline tandem in most two seaters.

Ken

55 minutes ago, Canute said:

Craig, I inherited a canvas bag that holds all the safing pins from our ejection seat trainer. The chair had to be turned in, when we converted to the tanker, but I guess the guys in the shop liked me, so I was gifted the pin bag. There are I think 13 pins that were installed in the seat to safe all the assorted charges on the chair, since they were all exposed. That's some off those little tubes you see on the castings. The follow on jets, F-15, 17, A-10 all have ACES II seats and have I think one lever to safe the seat. Progress.

Seats are looking good. Interesting feature of the Bucc was the backseat is offset from the front seat, instead of the inline tandem in most two seaters.

I only realized the seat offset while test fitting the rear instrument panel to the back of the front seat, where an alignment block on the back of the seat fits inside a corresponding rectangular hole on the instrument panel. Looking at it, I wondered why it was offset like that and even thought it might be some kind of engineering defect. I'm glad you brought it up, because I didn't see an explanation of it in the kit instructions and would still be scratching my head over it. 🙂

Edited by CDW

Glad to help. The RAF crews we worked with at that Red Flag were happy to show off their jets.  👍

Ken

I have my show entries all lined up for this coming Saturday. Supposed to rain that day so must be prepared with a sealed container to carry them inside. Devil is in the details. Tried to cover several categories including an oldies but goodies category for kits produced before 1980.

1. 1:700 IJN Akitsushima Seaplane Tender by Pitt Road

2. 1:700 Scharnhorst 1940 by Flyhawk

3. 1:700 Prinz Eugen by Trumpeter

4. 1:24 Enzo Ferrari by Tamiya

5. 1:25 Ala Kart show rod by AMT (oldie)

6. 1:35 Caterpillar D7N with tow winch by MiniArt

7. 1:35 M1240 A1 MRAP by Ryefield

8. 1:48 Bristol F.2B by Eduard

1945E7B1-8801-426D-8745-7BA71D40E7BF.jpeg

EDD00AA8-8DD1-4ECF-8C05-2245F16966AF.jpeg

A71D5090-812C-46D5-9C49-56040611301C.jpeg

C5179160-3D5B-4B8F-9AE1-8D93AB716985.jpeg

09C83BE7-0859-45C3-91E7-0534A3D65730.jpeg

D04191D1-8122-4922-B8C6-5B85AF65B86A.jpeg

A5F63FE2-CDB6-4B61-8562-0D07052F2053.jpeg

96C59B9A-BE35-4EF4-825E-BE9D4F0875BD.jpeg

73F26850-A2A0-4044-B80E-274E752FF00E.jpeg

0E0276BF-C932-4F2A-8211-A145752C65D5.jpeg

07C60F99-B95A-4337-B870-FB4A41A5CB69.jpeg

D5970085-5858-4F4C-809E-C044304491BD.jpeg

ED47D516-4036-4FA4-AEED-6323015113F7.jpeg

4C78FE49-6DC7-4EC4-A6DE-EB04A0F39BDE.jpeg

66D64B04-D619-45EF-BBF8-2359D5C55A56.jpeg

D48D155C-0159-4F8B-A9B8-9B92EB7221C4.jpeg

3FF70C2E-26E3-47B7-9866-BD4EED966BE8.jpeg

2509416B-0DF6-4F22-9EF6-5BF87F67AB2B.jpeg

7220C0A3-5A66-4653-860E-91FC3E6E7F4C.jpeg

1 hour ago, yvesvidal said:

What a collection. I am sure you are going to grab quite a few prizes.

Yves

Thanks Yves. It will be fun. It's been more than 20 years since I entered a model in a show. My first model show was almost 60 years ago. I won 1st place with a model just like this one. My winning model was lost about 50 years ago, but I built this one just for the memories.

DSCN1470.JPG

DSCN1475.JPG

Edited by CDW

Ala Cart and Stone, Woods, Cook.   Two very classic car models.  Mine disappeared a long time ago.....  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice selection, Craig. I'm sure there a numbers winners there. Good luck.

Pack 'em up securely. They're too nice to risk a case of fumble fingers.

Ken

Was this a state wide event or just your local chapter. Those are some great builds, whatever level they are.

Ken

2 hours ago, Canute said:

Was this a state wide event or just your local chapter. Those are some great builds, whatever level they are.

This was an IPMS region 11 event. This region includes all of Florida except for a small portion of the panhandle but anyone from anywhere can attend and enter models into the contest. Not sure where all the modelrs came from but I'm sure the club knows as it was required information on the master entry sheet which only the club is privy to. 

By the way for what it's worth, I won 2 first place awards with my 1:35 M1240 MRAP and 1:700 Prinz Eugen; 4 second place awards with my 1:35 Shot Kal Gimel (IDF Centurian), 1:24 Tamiya Enzo Ferrari, 1:700 HMS Hood, 1:48 Bristol F.2B; and 2 third place awards with my 1:700 Scharnhorst 1940, and 1:700 IJN Akatsushima Seaplane Tender.

50 minutes ago, CDW said:

This was an IPMS region 11 event. This region includes all of Florida except for a small portion of the panhandle but anyone from anywhere can attend and enter models into the contest. Not sure where all the modelrs came from but I'm sure the club knows as it was required information on the master entry sheet which only the club is privy to. 

By the way for what it's worth, I won 2 first place awards with my 1:35 M1240 MRAP and 1:700 Prinz Eugen; 4 second place awards with my 1:35 Shot Kal Gimel (IDF Centurian), 1:24 Tamiya Enzo Ferrari, 1:700 HMS Hood, 1:48 Bristol F.2B; and 2 third place awards with my 1:700 Scharnhorst 1940, and 1:700 IJN Akatsushima Seaplane Tender.

That is  Brilliant mate  -  well done.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Congratulations on the awards. Especially with the number of entries. 👍

Ken

Hearty congratulations!!!, nicely done against what appears to be stiff competition.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

5 hours ago, AJohnson said:

Congratulations on your prizes, looks a very well supported event which is nice to see. 

1 hour ago, Canute said:

Congratulations on the awards. Especially with the number of entries. 👍

59 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

Hearty congratulations!!!, nicely done against what appears to be stiff competition.

Thanks for all the kind words. It was a very unexpected outcome to be sure. 

Now I'm ready to move on and work on this Buccaneer project. Didn't see a single example of it at the contest. In general, British aircraft were very unrepresented at this event and in my collection as well. In the coming months I hope to remedy my collection with a number of different Brit aircraft.