Blackburn Buccaneer S.2C by CDW & AJohnson - FINISHED - Airfix - 1:48

AJohnson

Congratulations on the awards, CDW.   Very much deserved.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Excellent results, congratulations CDW. Take a well deserved virtual applause!

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

That a kit part or something you had to make up? Great idea, since these are usually tail sitting tricycles.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Wow Craig, nice job cleaning up on the awards.  What's even more impressive is that you did it across different types of subjects - shows how skilled of a modeler you are!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

1 hour ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Wow Craig, nice job cleaning up on the awards.  What's even more impressive is that you did it across different types of subjects - shows how skilled of a modeler you are!

1 hour ago, FriedClams said:

Congratulations on the awards, Craig!  A beautiful group of models to be sure.

Gary

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

This is the first time I have used 3D decals. They are a bit on the stiff side which is to be expected I suppose. Rereading the instructions, they suggest using either/or white glue or decal setting solution to help the decals seat down. I tried using decal setting solution as it seemed less messy. Will let these dry over night to see how well they adhere to the instrument panel. Will try white glue if I find this approach unsatisfactory.

0DF2F336-DD10-4D32-ACD4-60CBC598F5AD.jpeg

Try canopy cement. It's a white glue, dries clear. It'll glue PE to plastic very well. I use it to hold metal running boards to plastic and resin cars.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

8 hours ago, CDW said:

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

This is the first time I have used 3D decals. They are a bit on the stiff side which is to be expected I suppose. Rereading the instructions, they suggest using either/or white glue or decal setting solution to help the decals seat down. I tried using decal setting solution as it seemed less messy. Will let these dry over night to see how well they adhere to the instrument panel. Will try white glue if I find this approach unsatisfactory.

0DF2F336-DD10-4D32-ACD4-60CBC598F5AD.jpeg

Are they anything like Archer’s rivet decals? Or, at least, the next logical step. (Instead of just a dot of resin, an actual moulded detail).

I thought from your initial picture they were flat, but I see they’re anything but. 

A very interesting product, I would imagine slightly less expensive than PE?

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

9 hours ago, CDW said:

Will try white glue if I find this approach unsatisfactory.

I would suggest Formula 560 or Gators Grip... They are a flexible PVA glue that dries ultra thin and clear and are designed to glue canopies and PE to plastic very tightly.... Water cleanup and take most any paint or wash when cured...

They work very very well...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

2 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

Impressive show. Motorcycles seem a rarity in these shows, as usual....

Yves

I agree. Motorcycles and sailing ships were under-represented. There was that motorcycle "collection" (in that collection category), but no others. Really, in general all ships were under-represented which is a big part of the reason my four ships received awards. But who knows, the next show may have a whole different outcome in terms of what modelers decide to bring for display. I think that motorcycles and ships perhaps are too tedious for many modelers and as a consequence they avoid building them.

40 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

I've not seen the water slide instrument panels before, I got the traditional P.E. ones, it will be interesting to compare.  

It's the first I have seen or used from Eduard. Previously I bought some similar items from a company in Ukraine but have not used them yet. Look up "Quinta Studios" on Ebay. There are 3D decal interior sets for a LOT of different aircraft. Models I have seen where they've been used look very realistic. Like the standard photo etch sets, they require you file down flat all existing raised details where they will be used.

They look very good. Almost look like they'll work. 😄

Ken

13 minutes ago, Canute said:

They look very good. Almost look like they'll work. 😄

It's better by orders of magnitude than my best hairy stick efforts could produce. The Quinta Studios 3D sets are very economical when compared to Eduard photo etch sets, but the Eduard versions of 3D decals are a little on the pricey side here in the USA. Prices may vary in other countries, I don't know.

One last dry fit before gluing the fuselage halves together. A lot of detail buried inside there. You can clearly see the offset between the tandem seats that Ken spoke about in an earlier part of this thread. Thanks again because I would surely thought I put something together wrong if he had not mentioned this fact. Looks odd and have never seen that on another two-seater

E38B5D15-9D00-4871-8496-8271DAE70E53.jpeg

DD03A647-272D-4E4A-8D78-B2D33BACAF2D.jpeg

07B3791A-872E-4F66-9A34-E68B620CA8CC.jpeg

210F6338-9CA4-4327-8E64-F10A133E1264.jpeg

B3E9E249-775F-42A6-AAE6-8203EEB03416.jpeg

39332A64-8AB4-4CB4-8D3C-95B6EA36D52F.jpeg

818162D5-EB19-4658-9FA3-9646418EA852.jpeg

Edited by CDW
Testing camera settings

Loving the detail  Airfix have so raised their game.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

You are zooming along Craig.

I’m hoping to join in soon on this log, done a few bits on the cockpit, mostly scraping off the moulded detail to add my Eduard P.E. set and started on the ejection seats (I’m using the kit ones and a P.E. Set for belts etc.) Picture updates over the weekend I hope. 

2 hours ago, AJohnson said:

You are zooming along Craig.

I’m hoping to join in soon on this log, done a few bits on the cockpit, mostly scraping off the moulded detail to add my Eduard P.E. set and started on the ejection seats (I’m using the kit ones and a P.E. Set for belts etc.) Picture updates over the weekend I hope. 

There is a lot of detail to file off on the cockpit bits. Good luck and have fun.

At first, I thought these were location points for the LG assembly, but now believe they are ejector pin marks which need to be filled. Will double check then fill and retouch as needed. Does your kit have these marks, Arthur? No biggie, just something to be aware of.

wheel well.jpg

Airfix provides one basic engine, decently detailed, for the option of an open engine panel on top of the fuselage. Also included but not shown here are pieces to represent engine piping plumbing and wiring. The upper fuselage is partially perforated so the engine panel can readily be cut out. A paper template is included to get the precise shape cut out to fit the removable panel which comes as a separately molded part. My model will not display the open panel but it could be nice if someone wanted to take the time to detail it. The instructions suggest putting the engine in place even though it may not be openly displayed as it aides in the alignment of the entire assembly.

F0BE4E49-BD47-4EC1-8AF7-94597F375B55.jpeg

68BF3F46-B6A4-4C64-856A-D12F24CFA4D2.jpeg

Edited by CDW

Glue dried sufficiently to attach the tail cone/vertical stabilizer assembly to the fuselage as well as the forward fuselage/cockpit assembly to the fuselage.

Once the joins are sanded a bit to smooth them out and an application of Mr. Surfacer with a little more sanding to blend it all in and the join areas should disappear. There is one area just forward of the vertical stabilizer where I will glue in a piece of stretched sprue to fill a small gap.

Next comes flaps, horizontal stabilizers, intakes, jet nozzles, and various protrusions from the fuselage and wings. I may go ahead and prep the areas that need it with Mr Surfacer and a little sanding before adding the nozzles and intakes. They may get in the way of that later if I wait.

DSCN3224.JPG

DSCN3225.JPG

DSCN3226.JPG

DSCN3227.JPG

DSCN3228.JPG

DSCN3229.JPG

Nice job Craig. Sharp looking plane!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

2 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Nice job Craig. Sharp looking plane!

Thanks Mike.

Here the intakes have been cemented in place and an application of Mr Surfacer 1000 brushed into the seams. Once the Mr Surfacer was dry, knocked it all down and smoothed it out with a Tamiya fine sanding sponge, wet. Helps prevent the creation of new scratches when you sand it wet. Also added some stretched sprue to the hefty gap that was in the seam in front of the vertical stab.

DSCN3230.JPG

DSCN3231.JPG

DSCN3232.JPG

DSCN3233.JPG

DSCN3234.JPG

DSCN3235.JPG

DSCN3236.JPG

DSCN3237.JPG

DSCN3238.JPG