Occre Endeavour Rigging

Go to solution Solved by allanyed,

HELP!!!

I'm in the middle of doing the rigging for my Occre Endeavour Model and have come to a strange problem I can't find Part J26 (from the instruction manual)

I've gone through the instruction manual, box of parts etc..... every thing. Now I don't know if I have lost it or I need to make it myself. Can anyone who has built the Occre Endeavour please help and put me out of my misery.

Seriously I do not know what to do. By the way I am finding the rigging more difficult than building the actual ship.

Thanks In advance

.image.jpeg.630de40234566e0f761d02e6d229754b.jpeg

• Solution

This is a euphroe and it is an easy piece to make.   From Lees' Masting and Rigging page 44. The euphroe tackle comprised a single block stropped to the euphroe block and another block seized to the stay.  The standing part of the fall was made fast to the upper block.  The running part, after reeving through both blocks was either hitched to the stay below the lower block or was made fast round the tackle. 

Allan

Euphroe2.JPG.8878ffa7d31d1123a1a2c37d587f1da5.JPG

Euphroerigging.JPG.965a0ce982bbe96ffbcfd261ffe956b6.JPG

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for this question as I have not gotten to this point yet! I did notice J26 on page “C” of the rigging plan shows this piece is “made” from 3x5x25 lime wood. So I guess we need to create the “Euphroe” as mentioned earlier by Alan (thanks Alan!).

FYI - I’m a rookie at modeling and this is only my second Occre build. I also found the rigging the most difficult to follow and understand. I picked up a couple books on rigging in hopes I will better understand the different rigging and how it’s actually used and maybe I’ll be less confused! It’s definitely a learning process.  You might also check out some of the builds on this site and on YouTube.

IMG_5103.png

I’m currently building the Caldercraft version and it is on the brass etch sheet. It may be that yours is the same. I replaced mine with ones I made from timber. 

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

9 hours ago, elrojo99 said:

I picked up a couple books on rigging in hopes I will better understand the different rigging and how it’s actually used

I think the old masters seemed to have made mostly hull models because they did noy enjoy rigging any more than many modelers do today🤪

Which books did you get?  There are some that are period specific or even based on a single ship, while others are more inclusive.  There is a rigging spread sheet by Danny Vadas here at MSW in the Articles database that you may want to go to for detailed dimensional information for your Endeavour.  It is based on James Lees book on rigging which is one the best, if not THE best for rigging English ships.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hello Les here. I am currently building the Corel version of this ship. I have purchased the book Endeavour, by Karl Heinz Marquardt. I believe this to be the best reference book out there. I have made many revisions based on the material. I have built the masts and yards based on this book. Now my dilemma is that the mast and rigging plans don't necessarily agree with each other. So what next? The build plan shows the places where you belay or rig the ship but the book does not. I feel your pain.

4 hours ago, bluenose2 said:

Hello Les here. I am currently building the Corel version of this ship. I have purchased the book Endeavour, by Karl Heinz Marquardt......Now my dilemma is that the mast and rigging plans don't necessarily agree with each other. So what next? The build plan shows the places where you belay or rig the ship but the book does not. I feel your pain.

Standing rigging page 95 running rigging 120/121 deckplan. No deck plan for the standing but a combination of the book plan, kit plan and common sense was enough for my Occre Beagle with its Marquardt book. Good luck!