Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Guest Tim I.

Tim, with some limited exceptions ( the laser cut gratings, window frames, transom, rudder and stem), all visible wood has been, and will be, replaced with boxwood, holly and some pear. The lower hull (covered in copper) was planked with kit basswood. The framing was done with kit plywood parts and basswood.

Bob

Wow, quite a pricy endeavor. Thanks.

- Tim

Thanks B.E. You're much too kind. I'm just trying to climb the bar that you set with each new piece of work.

Pricey perhaps, Tim, but in my opinion well worth it.

Bob

Guest Tim I.

Bob,

Your workmanship is impeccable.

One of the things that I have been most disappointed with kit basswood, is how it slivers or has small fibers that raise on the edges, despite careful shaping and sanding. 

Per your suggestion I will be calling Model Expo today on the Essex kit availability and the status of my order.

Thank you,

Tim

Another small, but tedious, step forward. The next batch of guns have been made up, mounted and rigged. I also added some more deck ringbolts. As with the prior gun batches, these were done with the kit barrels, modified Lumberyard carriage kits and blocks and rigging line from Chuck. I have one last batch of 8 guns left to do, but these will wait for a while.

Next up will be work on the pumps and the bitts for the main mast, as well as the remaining framing for the quarterdeck. I'm also working on the sizing of the various rigging lines, so that I can add the lines that need to be belayed before their attachment points become inaccessible because of the deck framing.

Bob

post-186-0-26371500-1398351546_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-00014600-1398351570_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-45408200-1398351592_thumb.jpg

WOW!!!  Bob, I continue to be amazed by the quality of your work.  What size blocks did you use for your carriage tackle?  They look GREAT. 

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

Thanks so much Gary, B.E. and the "likes".

Gary, the blocks are 1/8" (3mm). They appear smaller than kit blocks of the same nominal size, probably because of their shaping and their smaller width. They are beautifully made and a pleasure to work with.

Tedium may have it's rewards B.E., but I want no part of any model that has more guns than this one, particularly at a small scale.

Bob

Guest Tim I.

Bob,

They look stellar, and very precise! 

How long do you soak your white metal cannon barrels in solution to blacken them?

Thanks,

Tim

Bob, the second round of cannons looks great. Always a pleasure to see your work.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Nicely place guns always accentuate the neatness of a build.  Yours look terrific, Bob.  I also have to admire your photographic skills.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Bob, I'm learning a lot by watching your work on ESSEX.  Especially some small details like grates and bitts, etc.  Trying to incorporate on my present build the LIVELY.

Haven't heard from ME about new parts for my old ESSEX kit.. But I stopped at your suggestion after the doing the frames.

Have your  "bookmarked" pages here to help me whenever I go back to the ESSEX.  Waiting to hear from ME on any new parts they may be sending us old kit owners.

Thanks for the great pictures!

Terry 

Guest Tim I.

Terry,

It might be a good idea to call Model Shipways. I am sure that they would at least be amenable to helping you in some respect. I know they are good on replacing other parts in kits.

As for new Essex kits, I received an e-mail on my order today that the back order has been reduced from 45 days to within 30 days.

I wish you luck in getting replacement parts.

Tim

Terry,

Check here and if need be, re-ask there or contact ME directly.  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3766-essex-process-and-corrections-to-the-new-model-expo-kit/

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Terry for the kind words. I second the suggestions that you contact ME directly about replacement parts. I've heard nothing new on that front.

Bob

Your cannons look very good! Do you blacken them or are they painted? And what blacken reagent (or paint) are you using?

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Thanks Thomas. The cannon barrels are painted with what little I have left of my Pollyscale engine black (no longer available).

I've now completed another section of the quarterdeck framing. Before doing that, however, I had to do a chart of rigging sizes so that I could attach the main lower yard sheets to the bulwark cleats that would be inaccessible under the deck framing. The rope sizes were determined by using the tables and formulas set forth in Lees. Rather than using a spreadsheet, I chose to mark the sizes directly on copies of the sequential rigging drawings from the Essex AOTS. I then made a table to convert these sizes to correspond to the rigging line sizes available from Chuck. 

I then used the appropriate line size to do the sheets and ran them through the bulwark sheaves and attached them to the cleats. When this was done, I glued down the aft portion of the deck framing, which previously  had been left sitting loose. After that, I built two further deck sections off the model, installed them, added hanging knees to them and then filled in the open portions with lodging knees, ledges and carlings. The whole assembly was given an application of Wipe-on Poly.

The final portion of the quarterdeck framing will be done in conjunction with work on the pumps and mainmast bitts, which will be the next items of work.

Bob

post-186-0-07102900-1398865008_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-03941100-1398865050_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-41008700-1398865075_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-14922000-1398865106_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-35907500-1398865130_thumb.jpg

Guest Tim I.

Bob,

Question related to the rigging for your guns. Do you rig the block and tackle loose, attach it to the eye bolt on the bulkhead, then pull it taut? Or do you employ another method? The uniformity between the rigging of the guns is impressive. 

- Tim

Edited by Tim I.

Um......absolutely speechless over here.  Great forethought, excellent execution. 

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

She is looking fabulous Bob B)  B) truly great work!When you go for detailing the interior,it really is a 'layering' job of installing all the parts and more often than not part 'A' is best fitted now but part 'B' needs fitting first,and that can't go on until the deck is in place,if you know what I mean :D  :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks so much Tim, Augie and Nigel. 

Tim, you've got it right . The tackle is made up , then attached and adjusted.

Augie, you've never been speechless. :D

Nigel, I know just what you mean. Unfortunately, I sometimes forget which needs to go first. :(

Bob

I got a strange answer from the Parts Dept at ME when I asked what they were doing, if anything, about corrections to the ESSEX kit.  It was as if they knew nothing about the problems.  Has anyone asked them about replacement parts besides me?  Has anyone else tried to complete the model besides Bob?

I'm really sort of confused about the whole matter. Whether to continue on or wait longer.

Sam, if u read this, what do you think?

Cheers,

Terry