Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Fantastic work, as always Bob. Great foresight and planning with the main lower yard sheets too - that really is smart thinking.

Excellent job Bob!  :) It's a pleasure watching you work!  B)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I can only agree, the level of detail and the quality of work you apply to your Essex is unbelievable!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

For what it's worth, I got an e mail today from T Snow at ME.  H e says they won't know what the corrections will be until they hear from the designer.  Then, they will send out a list, at which time those wanting corrections will be able to select those they need.

Terry

In the mean time, I continue to be amazed at Bob's artistry.  Would u consider opening a school to teach us less talented some of your skills!

Bob,

Please forgive me for throwing this out here (I'll put it up in corrections later today) but I have been waiting on Expo's Production Dept regarding the plywood thickness. I spoke with them this morning and they assured me that the heavy plywood is no longer being used so they can begin to produce my corrected images.

We'll see.....

By the way Bob I haven't forgotten about the figure head

Thanks - Sam

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING UNDER DEVELOPMENT 

Thanks Terry. I'm afraid that the only thing I could teach is to grow older, have more time for modeling and substitute more patience and perseverance for diminishing physical capabilities.

Sam, it's good to hear from you. It's been a while and I was getting a little concerned about you.

I've now made and installed the chain pumps, their aft cranks and crank supports and the pump dales. The pumps were made using the kit laser cut pieces as forms for boxwood planking. The cranks are blackened brass wire and are simplified due to their small size. The forward cranks and supports will be added as I move forward on the gun deck. I am in the process of making the remaining quarterdeck framing and the main jeer bitts.

Bob

post-186-0-92728500-1399382440_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-20946700-1399382463_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-62999500-1399382483_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-47293000-1399382508_thumb.jpg

Bob, the pumps look great. I still can't wrap my head around how small they are. It looks as though the individual planks on the pump housings are thinner than the edge of that penny.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Guest Tim I.

Bob,

The chain pumps look great! I especially like the sluice-ways. 

Is that a detail that is part of the kit, or did you add it?

- Tim

Thanks Patrick, Tim and the "likes".

Patrick, the planks are 1/32" x 1/16" -- in fact thinner than the edge of the penny.

Tim, the pump dales are shown in the kit plans and instructions, but mine were made from boxwood.

Bob

The pumps along with everything else look fantastic Bob. It's been a great learning expierience following your log.

Al D.

Edited by alde

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

More meticulous work Bob. You really know how to add that touch of class.

Thanks Terry. I'm afraid that the only thing I could teach is to grow older, have more time for modeling and substitute more patience and perseverance for diminishing physical capabilities.

Sam, it's good to hear from you. It's been a while and I was getting a little concerned about you.

I've now made and installed the chain pumps, their aft cranks and crank supports and the pump dales. The pumps were made using the kit laser cut pieces as forms for boxwood planking. The cranks are blackened brass wire and are simplified due to their small size. The forward cranks and supports will be added as I move forward on the gun deck. I am in the process of making the remaining quarterdeck framing and the main jeer bitts.

Bob

lovely work Bob,

especialy in the scale you are doing it...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Bob, Well done indeed!  :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Hi Bob.

Just catching up on your build.

And I am stunned at the shear quality of your build.

Your Triton build was excellent .. but you have excelled yourself with this one :)

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Thanks so much Grant, Ben, Michael, Nils, Rusty, B.E. and Antony For your continuing interest, kind words and encouragement, and thanks again to the "likes".

I don't know the answer B.E., but it would seem to make sense.

Bob

B.E.

Yes they would have. I've seen them shown at both lengths. The full extension looked awkward at this scale. They would have been set in place as needed  - not a permanent fixture

Sorry for hopping in here Bob.........LOL

Sam

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING UNDER DEVELOPMENT 

I was about to complete the quarterdeck framing when I realized that I had forgotten to do the elm tree pumps, which had to go in before the deck framing. Whew.

The pumps were made up from boxwood strip and a tiny bit of wire. The body of the pumps are  square strip, sanded eight sided and drilled out at the top and for the drain. I also made up the main jeer bitts and drilled their mounting holes before in stalling the deck framing. They have not been installed yet.

The remaining deck framing was done like the previous sections with the beams, carlings, ledges, lodging knees and hanging knees.

The next items will be the main topsail sheet bitts and the completion of the chain pump cranks and supports.

Bob

post-186-0-38401500-1399718456_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-27876000-1399718478_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-58668000-1399718510_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-70324600-1399718542_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-84912500-1399718576_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-53983600-1399718605_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-28519600-1399718636_thumb.jpg

Wow! You really got a lot done. The pumps and framing look great! I'm giving serious thought to purchasing this kit! I hope you don't mind that your build log will be looked at as more of a practicum than a build log.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne