Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Superb work Bob. I'm already looking forward to the end of cannon rigging and I've only done three. Doing them in batches is the way to go. The capstan looks great but everything else does too.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

She's looking amazing, Bob! Very impressive work - I just read your comment on Alistair's Pegasus log and now I can see where you were coming from!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

I've now made and installed the first part of the waist deck framing. As with the quarterdeck and forecastle deck framing, the beams, carlings, ledges and hanging knees are boxwood and the lodging knees are cherry. In addition, this portion of the decking required support stanchions. These were made from square boxwood strip with the round portions done with files and sandpaper. As always, the wood was finished with Wipe-on Poly. I am now working on the remaining waist deck framing.

Bob

post-186-0-36816300-1401902870_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-79743500-1401902893_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-95609400-1401902918_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-11548700-1401902950_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-57970100-1401902974_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob, great work!  Question on the beams, are they flat or do they have a camber?  Hard to tell from the photos.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks Jason. The beams are flat. As I've explained earlier, there were two reasons: first, the framing bulkheads create a flat gun deck and a noticeable camber of the upper deck beams looked somewhat odd; second, when looking at the small scale section drawings in AOTS Essex, it is difficult to even see the camber without using a straight edge. While I'm sure that there should be some camber on both decks, I chose to match the flat gun deck.

Bob

Beautiful work, Bob! And the amount of details you build into your Essex is just amazing! What diameter did you use for the anchor cable? 

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

More delightful work Bob. Your work always looks so crisp and clean. You are setting a very high bar with this one!

Guest Tim I.

Bob,

You Sir, are a master craftsman. I am in awe every time you post an update. In some ways I am sorry to see the gun deck detail covered, but at the same time excited to see more of the ship develop. Incredible work!

- Tim

Thanks so much Thomas. The anchor cable is Syren .054" line.

Thanks so much Grant. I'm just trying to reach the bar that you've already set.

Thanks so much Tim. Your praise is appreciated, but overly generous.

Thanks also to the "likes" for your continuing interest.

Bob

B.E., it would be my pleasure to have you come to Florida to play some golf and then spend some time with the modeling. I live on a golf course and it's my real day job nowadays. Much as I appreciate your kind thought about seeing my Essex, we should start with the golf.

Bob

Careful there Bob, you'll be needing a house extension for all the visitors you're about to receive!!! Have golf clubs, will travel! ;)

Thanks so much Scott.

Just returned from a trip up north to see the kids and grandkids and to attend my 50th law school reunion. Had a great time, but happy to get back to Essex.

I've completed the waist deck framing. The construction followed the materials and procedures used for the other deck framing ( all of which has been previously described ). With this step, all of the upper deck framing is now done. I've included a full profile photo of the model to this point. The next work will be the limited deck planking to be done in the waist.

Bob

post-186-0-08386700-1402941985_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-88634000-1402942009_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-29795400-1402942039_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-05610600-1402942065_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-28016300-1402942089_thumb.jpg

Lovely pictures of some outstanding work Bob. She really does look magnificent.

Fabulous work Bob B)  B)  B)  B) she looks fantastic.The boxwood against the deck really shows how white the holly planking is.I have never worked with Holly,mainly due to the fact I have yet to find a supplier in the UK.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Greetings Bob,

I am curious about the shape and size of the lodging knees, and the fact that you have deck framing members tied into them. I haven't seen this before, but that doesn't mean the build is wrong: just that I may be in the dark on this subject. How did you decide to build the knees that way? Thanks.

wq3296 

Thanks guys for the generous comments and the "likes". They are all appreciated.

Wq3296 -- The lodging knees, carlings and ledges generally follow the deck framing plan set out in AOTS Essex. I took some liberties with the plan, but the shape and size of the knees and the landing of the ledges are very much in keeping with that plan. BTW, to my knowledge, that plan is not unusual in that respect.

Bob

Great workmanship.  I think Model Shipways/Model Expo should redo their kit to reflect your fantastic job.  What your are creating is a beautiful rendering of a Napoleonic era frigate.  And they should pay you for your trouble (or enjoyment).

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild