Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Thanks Alistair. Testors acquired Floquil and discontinued the solvent based line and most of the Pollyscale. You can still get a very limited number of the acrylics in much smaller jars, but who knows for how long. I'd stock up if you can still get it.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I had a free moment and got caught up on your progress and as to be expected your workmanship is

outstanding. I too really like the way you used minimal planking so the framing and lower deck work can

be seen. You made it flow very nicely and not look chopped up. Well done.   B)

Hey Sam, Bob might not want to design kits but he would be great at proofing a kit prior to release! :D 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks so much Rusty. I'm still debating with myself about how I will do the quarterdeck planking. I favor the minimal, but I've got to make some provision for mounting guns.

Bob

Thanks Sam for both the nice words and the offer. It's funny that you should mention the head rails, because I was just starting to think about how I would do them. I'm sure that it would be helpful to have those images. Thanks again.

Bob

I got into a couple of those days when I just couldn't stop and completed all of the internal bulwark planking for the quarterdeck, including the transom. I also did the deck margin planks and waterways. The bulwark planking and waterways are boxwood and the deck planking is holly. I followed my usual procedure on this build with pencil "caulking" and golden oak filler "treenails".

I'm going to do the center strip of deck planking before making a decision on how much more planking to do for gun mounting. I've narrowed it down to three choices: all of the guns on one side and none on the other; all of the guns on one side and a couple on the other side; a couple of guns on each side.

Bob

post-186-0-65839500-1403793935_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-92617700-1403793957_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-53951500-1403793985_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-56804600-1403794010_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much Remco, Joe and Thomas for the kind words and also to all the "likes". 

Remco, I try to avoid the need for trimming or sanding by the painted areas. I make up multi plank units to fit the space between the ports and do all of the trimming and sanding off the ship. It takes a little longer to fit the pieces, but in the end I think it saves time and it definitely saves aggravation.

Bob

That sounds a very sensible approach Bob and clearly it works very well - at least in your hands!

Guest Tim I.

Bob,

You mentioned Golden Oak filler for the tree nails. Could I trouble you for the brand? I also presume based on your earlier posts that the bulwarks planking is boxwood, correct?

Thank you,

Tim

Deck planking on the quarterdeck is now complete. I began by doing the center section of planking. This provided coverage around the hatches and masts and a base for the capstan and wheel. I left the aft section open to give a view of the cabin. After completing this , I tried out a variety of options for additional planking to mount guns. To my eye, the best was to do enough planking to mount the forward two guns on each side. I'm sure that others would probably come to different conclusions, but that is the choice I made. I did also add two small planking strips at the stern to support the transom knees.

I also made up the hatches and the ladderway coaming from boxwood with the kit gratings. As before, the deck planking is holly with pencil "caulking" and golden oak filler "treenails", finished with Wipe-on Poly.

I'm in the process of making up cleats, ringbolts and eyebolts for the quarterdeck bulwarks. Drilling for them and mounting will be next.

Bob 

post-186-0-13765800-1404321628_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-36251100-1404321661_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-58033500-1404321686_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-81122600-1404321706_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-80097000-1404321725_thumb.jpg

Nicely done Bob. Your choice of how much and where for the deck planking is an interesting one. A little bit "unusual" (if there is such a thing), but this will add to the models uniqueness and I'm sure will look terrific. The important thing is that YOU are happy with the decision and you clearly are. :)

Interesting arrangement, Bob.  I like it.  Just thinking that you'll need to be extra careful about any dust flying around the shop from this point forward!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Excellent detail in the deck beams......wow

Sir Charles Edward

Current build:  Montanes by OcCre;

Pending Builds:  Sao Miguel by Mamoli;

Albatross by Constructo;

Albatross by OcCre;

Wappen von Hamburg by Corel;

Royal William by Euromodel;

Past Builds:  Santa Maria by Mantua;

Half Moon by Corel;

Golden HInd & Yacht Mary by Mamoli;

Sharke by Sergal;

Dallas & Scottish Maid by Artesania Latina.

On the shelf in boxes:  Berlin by Corel;

Royal Louis by Mamoli;

Nuestra Senora del Pilar by OcCre

Thanks Augie and Sir Charles Edward and thanks also to all of the "likes".

Augie, The vacuum is a necessity now. Hopefully, the glue will continue to hold on the lower deck. :o

Bob

I added the simulated bulwark sheaves for the main braces.

I then made up the quarterdeck bulwark ringbolts and blackened them and a bunch of eyebolts. I also made up two sizes of cleats from boxwood. I then drilled the bulwarks and transom for all of them and installed them (with the exception of the ringbolts for the four guns that I will mount).

I then made two transom knees from boxwood and installed them. Lastly, I made a traveler for the boom sheet from wire and installed it in the transom with drilled holes.

The pin rails remain to be made and installed to complete the quarterdeck bulwark work.

Bob

post-186-0-97669800-1404554107_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-92668500-1404554133_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-84594800-1404554172_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-14556200-1404554190_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-82563100-1404554207_thumb.jpg