Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Looking terrific there Bob. As Augie said, enjoy the holiday/family time, but as this is to be an "extended" visit, I'm sure "time off for good behaviour" will allow you the occasional visit to the shipyard! ;):D

Bob, as always, your work is exemplary. Happy holidays to you and your family as well.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Terry, I ordered every size from .008" to .054" in order to be able to at least get close to the scale sizes that I calculated from Lees' proportional tables. I expect to use them all.

Bob

After 2 weeks of traveling I am just catching up with your build log again. Amazing progress with the usual outstanding craftsmanship! It is a pleasure to follow your build log!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

First of all, I wish all of you a very happy and healthy New Year. Secondly, thank you for the interest, encouragement and kind thoughts about Essex this past year.

Two weeks of family house guests have now left, but as at least some of you expected, I snuck in some modeling time. :)  :)

The pendants, shrouds and stays on the lower fore mast are now done. Everything done the same as on the other masts. Now, on to the bowsprit and further work on the head.

Bob 

post-186-0-23608400-1420120503_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-85337900-1420120531_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-20137500-1420120559_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-35096400-1420120579_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-91415900-1420120847_thumb.jpg

Best of the New Year to you and yours as well, Bob.  Hope to see this beautiful lady outward bound in 2015.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Always a pleasure to start my morning with one of your updates Bob - such clean and crisp work never fails to bring a smile to my face. Glad to know that you snuck in some modelling time among house guests ;) May 2015 bring you health and happiness, and lots of modelling satisfaction.

Beautiful work as always Bob. 

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

WOW this is my first time running through here Bob. This is amazing work. Nicely done. Very nice. I didn't get a chance to read everything you did but I cruised through most of the pictures. 

Current/But Not immediate Build Logs

I am still gathering the tools I need but starting preliminary work. Nothing to show just yet.

Fair American

Armed Virginia Sloop.

I plan to follow this one closely as I really want this kit. Did they fix the bugs in it yet? I'd like to order it by the end of March with that nice sale thats going on. 

Current/But Not immediate Build Logs

I am still gathering the tools I need but starting preliminary work. Nothing to show just yet.

Fair American

Armed Virginia Sloop.

Thanks so much Wes and the "likes".

Jimz66, I see that ME is again offering the Essex kit, but I have no idea as to what they have done to fix it.

Bob

Guest Tim I.

Thanks so much Wes and the "likes".

Jimz66, I see that ME is again offering the Essex kit, but I have no idea as to what they have done to fix it.

Bob

Bob,

I put it back on order as soon as I saw that it was available again. Model Expo said they had it in stock when I ordered it, but now my order says "back ordered" again. I plan on calling them this morning to figure out the scoop. Also, I may not get to the Essex build before the end of this year, but I will take photographs of the kit for those that are interested and post them in the Essex Kit Correction thread, if and when it arrives. 

I think you have cemented your build as being the "Gold Standard"!

- Tim

Work on the head and the bowsprit rigging is now complete. Probably the most significant aspect of this work is the figurehead. As those who have followed this log will remember, I had reached a point of desperation at doing it. In a gesture that demonstrates both the wonderful nature of this site and his own incredible generosity, Janos offered to carve the figurehead for me from boxwood. The result is fantastic, and something that I could never hope to duplicate on my own. My gratitude is boundless. I must add that Sam Cassano, despite his illness, sent me a resin cast figurehead that he had done previously. Although it won't appear on the ship, I am thinking of ways to finish and mount it in the finished display case as a tribute to Sam's efforts on this model.

After mounting the figurehead, I completed the head by adding the boomkins and the iron railings and stanchions which had previously been made and fitted, but not installed. The railings and stanchions were made from wire. The boomkins were rigged with their shrouds after they were installed. I also added the eyebolts necessary to do rigging in this area.

Finally,I did the bobstays and the bowsprit shrouds.

Next up will be catharpins, futtock shrouds and (ugh!  :angry: ) ratlines.

Bob

post-186-0-12840800-1420724072_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-98754100-1420724114_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-82716900-1420724137_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-41344600-1420724156_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-08020300-1420724174_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-78422600-1420724199_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-05402700-1420724235_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-05564600-1420724259_thumb.jpg