Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

A really beautiful piece of work.

It's starting to take on a life of its own now.

Very cool !!!!  :)

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

Now I lost the Gnomes forever !!!!!!!!

Amazing Bob !!!!!!!!

When there is big parcel arriving at your door step, do be surprised......it's the Aggy who is waiting for the ratlines  :D  :D  :D

Sjors

Thanks so much Sjors. If you send Aggy to me, don't be surprised if you don't get it back. I like it too much.  :D  :D

Thanks so much Janos. Coming from an artist like you, that is a wonderful compliment.

Bob

Thanks Terry. One more time I'm going to urge you to start a log for your build. I, and i'm sure others, would really like to see what you've done with the kit. It would make it much easier to offer suggestions or provide help if we could see where you are.

Bob

Well Counselor, that would necessitate the ownership of a cell phone.  My last two are on the bottom of Biscayne Bay, where  I previously ran races.  Now well  into the later portion of my eighth decade, I have no need for something whose last location I would certainly not recall or remember to keep in a charged condition.

But I certainly do appreciate watching your beautiful work, that I strive to emulate.  Perhaps, depending on your handicap. I could compete closely on the links!

Cheers,

Terry

I had previously mentioned that I was working on the topmasts to break up the work on the ratlines. They are now completed (with the exception of the trestletrees and crosstrees). I thought that those of you who are low tech and tool challenged like myself might like to see how I made up the top masts from a dowel, rather than starting with a piece of square stock. These masts have an octagonal heel, then a square section, then an octagonal section, then a round section, then octagonal hounds and finally, a square head.

I began by squaring the upper and lower sections of the dowel with a file and sanding sticks. I then added stripwood to create a square section at the lower end. I then used a file to make the 8 sided portions. At the upper end, I added stripwood to create a square section the length of the hounds and then used a file to make that eight sided. I should add that I made up the lower mast cap and put it on the topmast before doing the hounds, since the cap would not slide down the mast once the hounds were in place. I completed the masts by drilling and cutting simulated sheaves in the hounds, adding the fids and staining and painting the assembled masts. I have attached a series of photos showing this sequence.

I will now make and install the trestletree/crosstree assemblies before mounting the masts.

Bob

post-186-0-84058800-1422970859_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-79916500-1422970924_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-65014300-1422970957_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-32482900-1422970995_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-23202600-1422971081_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-92742500-1422971114_thumb.jpg

I have the utmost respect for the folks who roll out the mills and lathes to turn this kind of thing out.  But seeing it done this way ---- and so beautifully ---- brings a smile that lasts all day.  

Really first rate, mate.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks so much Augie, John and the "likes". It would probably be nice to have the mill and the lathe (no place to store or use them  :(  :( ) but it's nice to know that you can get things done without them.

Bob

very nice masting work Bob,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nice top masts Bob. I have a mill but I certainly don't use it to make my masts, just square stock and hand tools, just like you do, give a much better result (and satisfaction ;))

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Excellent work! I love your tutorial! I have to keep it in mind for the time when I have to do this kind of thing on my Syren model  :)

Thomas

Edited by Gahm

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Following up my last update, I made and mounted the trestletree/crosstrees on the topmasts. Before mounting the topmasts on the model, I added blocks that I hadn't previously attached to the lower mastheads.These were the the jeer blocks, with their strops, to the fore and main masts, and the boom topping lift blocks and the peak and throat halliard blocks to the mizzen. I then mounted the topmasts.

I'm working on the crows feet now.

Bob

post-186-0-94383000-1423146044_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-10373500-1423146067_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-56495200-1423146100_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-38979800-1423146128_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-94857500-1423146157_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-69039400-1423146177_thumb.jpg

Yesterday I received a box from ME, which included new modified laser cuts , plans,  and a new handbook.  I don't think I need anything at this stage, but perhaps the additional ship's boat. I might mount two, one off the stern, and another midships.  I don't think I'll start over!

I may try to send some photos, but being rather computer illiterate, and 1500 miles from my grand kids, it might take some doing.

Terry

Like the ratlines, it has been a long time since I last did crowsfeet, but absence did not make the heart grow fonder. :P  They were as much of a pain as I remembered. Minimizing distortion of the stays while getting the lines taut is the hardest part for me. They are done now, however, and its on to the topmast rigging. BTW, the photos make the rigging line look whiter and brighter than it is. It is Syren tan line and looks very good in reality.

Bob

post-186-0-26346500-1423396940_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-55247500-1423396970_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-22129100-1423397004_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-31462200-1423397033_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-46556200-1423397055_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-59395800-1423397080_thumb.jpg

Bob,

the crowsfeet-rigging is beautifuly done, nice and taught...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50