rafine

Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Bob,

I just watch and learn !!!

Still don't know how you are doing all of this but I love it !!!

I need new inkt cartridges for my printer  ;)  ;)

Sjors

Thanks so much to all for the very nice comments and the "likes".

You've got it exactly right Augie. Much more time on my feet and less on my butt.  :D

Bob

Beautiful work, Bob! What kind of wood are you using for your dowels? Is that birch?

Thomas

Thanks so much Thomas. The dowels are birch (as far as I know). I finish them with Golden Oak stain.

Bob

A busy last 10 days. I've made and mounted the flying jibboom, rigged the three topgallant and royal masts and the flying jibboom.

Rigging of the masts involved doing topgallant shrouds ( they have no ratlines  :D ), topgallant backstays, topgallant stays, royal backstays and stays for each mast. The stays led forward through thimbles (mizzen), blocks (main) or sheaves in the flying jibboom (fore). The main and mizzen end with thimbles and lanyards in the lower tops. The fore pass through sheaves in the dolphin striker and end with blocks and tackles hooked to the bow and tied off on the bow pintails. I also did the flying jibboom horses. For convenience,  I also added the jibboom and flying jibboom guys, a block for the spritsail halliard and thimbles for the spritsail topsail lifts at this time.These won't be completed until the yards are made and mounted.

This essentially completes the standing rigging. Now it's on to making and rigging the yards. This will begin with the spritsail and sprit topsail yards and proceed aft.

Bob

post-186-0-44406700-1426001429_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-52407600-1426001463_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-58426000-1426001482_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-70699600-1426001517_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-22447700-1426001541_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-89442000-1426001562_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-34618200-1426001583_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-45524700-1426001602_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-52997500-1426001982_thumb.jpg

Thanks so muchTim, Dirk, Tom, Grant and Patrick for the generous comments and also to the "likes".

BTW, in looking at the photos, i see that portions of the masts and jibboom/flying jibboom look very white. This is a product of bad photography. They are golden oak and match the rest of the masts.

Bob

Thanks so much Rusty. Your continuing interest is always appreciated. Thanks also to the "likes".

Bob

Hi Bob,

Late to your build, but starting to follow along. 

Your Essex is amazing and I love the detailed pictures showing your beautiful rigging work. Great stuff. Looking forward to seeing the yards!

Cheers,

Nigel. 

Very tidy work, Bob.  Your skill is matched only by your patience in turning out such exemplary rigging.

Cheers,

Martin

Thanks so much Nils, Nigel, Thomas, Sjors and Martin for the very nice comments and also the "likes".

Martin, I have no patience at all -- just persistence, like all of us have.

Bob

I've now made, mounted and rigged the spritsail and sprit topsail yards. The yards themselves were easy, since they are round in section throughout and only required tapering before adding the yard and arm cleats. I pre- rigged the yards by adding the halliard block, parrel, lifts and braces before mounting them on the pins previously set in the bowsprit and jibboom. 

The parrels were then completed and the halliards and lifts were led through their respective blocks/thimbles and back to the bow pinrail, where they were tied off and separate rope coils added.The braces were led back through the the blocks under the fore top (an incredibly fiddly job), but won't be tied off until sometime during the fore mast rigging. The last task was to complete the rigging of the jibboom  and flying jibboom guys by leading them through eyebolts on the yards back to blocks and tackles at the bows that were tied off on the pinrail and coils added.

Next will be the foremast yards and rigging.

Bob

post-186-0-36913000-1426338059_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-35813700-1426338093_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-10901700-1426338114_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-14992100-1426338134_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-85751700-1426338167_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-78937300-1426338189_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-34177600-1426338207_thumb.jpg

I love your rigging Bob,

it Looks so clean and accurate, the sprit- and jib Yards are great, also the belaying in the bow area

Nils