Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

well done Bob!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Bob,

Late to your build, but starting to follow along. 

Your Essex is amazing and I love the detailed pictures showing your beautiful rigging work. Great stuff. Looking forward to seeing the yards!

Cheers,

Nigel. 

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Thanks so much Nils, Nigel, Thomas, Sjors and Martin for the very nice comments and also the "likes".

Martin, I have no patience at all -- just persistence, like all of us have.

Bob

I've now made, mounted and rigged the spritsail and sprit topsail yards. The yards themselves were easy, since they are round in section throughout and only required tapering before adding the yard and arm cleats. I pre- rigged the yards by adding the halliard block, parrel, lifts and braces before mounting them on the pins previously set in the bowsprit and jibboom. 

The parrels were then completed and the halliards and lifts were led through their respective blocks/thimbles and back to the bow pinrail, where they were tied off and separate rope coils added.The braces were led back through the the blocks under the fore top (an incredibly fiddly job), but won't be tied off until sometime during the fore mast rigging. The last task was to complete the rigging of the jibboom  and flying jibboom guys by leading them through eyebolts on the yards back to blocks and tackles at the bows that were tied off on the pinrail and coils added.

Next will be the foremast yards and rigging.

Bob

post-186-0-36913000-1426338059_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-35813700-1426338093_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-10901700-1426338114_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-14992100-1426338134_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-85751700-1426338167_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-78937300-1426338189_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-34177600-1426338207_thumb.jpg

Nice work all around.  Love the neat rope coils.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I love your rigging Bob,

it Looks so clean and accurate, the sprit- and jib Yards are great, also the belaying in the bow area

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

I've begun on the fore mast running rigging by making and mounting the topgallant and royal yards and adding their rigging to the extent that I'm going to do it. It's my intention to do the yard rigging ( trusses, parrels, halliards, foot ropes, lifts,  braces) and certain of the sail rigging ( clews, sheets, but no bunt, leech or reef lines). This has been my practice for quite a while and is entirely arbitrary, based upon my feelings about appearance and feasibility. I am also not doing any of the headsail and staysail rigging on this build. 

These first two yards, like the previously done spritsail and sprit topsail yards, are relatively simple, since they are round in section throughout. I added the cleats, foot ropes (on the topgallant), clew and sheet blocks, lift blocks (on the topgallant),  halliard ties, one end of the parrels and brace pendants (on the topgallant) before mounting the yards on their pins on the mast. I then added blocks for the lifts at the mastheads and   various blocks for the braces at the main topgallant mast, main topmast stay and fore top.

I then ran the lifts, clews, halliards and royal sheets and tied off those that are belayed in the fore top. Rope coils were added for each belayed line. Lastly, I ran the braces, but didn't tie them off at this point.

I'm now in the process of making the topsail yard and lower yard.

Bob

post-186-0-94472700-1427208642_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-00381000-1427208671_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-39926000-1427208704_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-11705600-1427208758_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-59328500-1427208783_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-85448000-1427208822_thumb.jpg

Very nice work Bob,

it Looks perfact

at what percentage would you consider your rigging complete by now  ? , must be nearly done....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks so much John, Nils and the "likes".

John, having seen a good deal of your work, I have no doubt that you will do at least as well as me.

Nils,It's not even close to done. I'm only on the first of the three masts -- and less than half done with that one. I'm thinking of months, not weeks.

Bob

Just dropped ... with my jaws down

Masterpiece

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Thanks so much Nenad, Thomas and the "likes".

It's easier to keep moving forward Thomas, when model building is basically your day job. The joy of retirement. :D  :D

Bob

Truly excellent work Bob B)  B) Sadly I am not around much of late,due to supposedly moving.The buyer dropped out at last minute,so we are now back to square one with half of my tools now packed away :angry:  :angry: 

Kind Regards

Nigel 

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thanks so much Nigel. It's good to hear from you again. I'm sorry both about your lost buyer and your inability to devote time or attention to modeling. We miss you.

Bob

Work continues on the fore mast yards and rigging. I have been doing the topsail and lower yards. The lower is now done and mounted and the rigging begun. The attached photos show the progression of work on the lower yard. It follows my usual scheme of starting with a round dowel, then cutting and filing a square section. adding wood strip to build up the square section, then filing that eight sided, then tapering and shaping the yard and finally adding the cleats. After completion of that work, the yard was prepared for mounting by painting it black, adding the foot ropes, the various blocks and lines attached to the yard and the studdingsail boom brackets and booms. Quite a tangle when it got done.

The lower yard has now been mounted and I've begun running the rigging lines, but won't do photos until I've done the topsail yard, which is now in process.

Bob

post-186-0-48862700-1427811064_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-74816100-1427811084_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-05691200-1427811111_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-03380800-1427811137_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-90687100-1427811158_thumb.jpg

Very nice looking Yards Bob,

looking foreward to seeing both foremast Yards rigged

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Great work as usual.

Whenever I attempt to cut and file the square section, I can never get a proper square. The angles are always off. Do you have any shortcuts/advise?

Thanks.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks so much Ken and the "likes". Like everything else I do, Ken, this is low tech, seat of the pants. Basically I line out the area, clamp the piece in a vise and try to file to the lines. I will check it with a small square as I work my way around. It seems to come out square enough to work. :)

Bob