Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Just ... perfect!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Lovely work as always, Bob.  I have to admire those parrels, they're nice indeed, and in place they are splendid.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks so much Martin and the "likes". Martin, the parrels are one of those items that are really much easier than they look. Using a trick I learned here on MSW, I glued 6 pieces of strip together, shaped and drilled them, and then separated the pieces with isopropyl.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

The rigging is now done! I added the crossjack, topsail yard and the gaff and boom to the mizzen mast. The yards and their rigging are virtually identical to the fore and main and need no further description. The boom and gaff were made up with their jaws cut and shaped from strip and bead parrels added. The boom was rigged with topping lifts, sheets and guys. the gaff was rigged with peak and throat halliards and vangs.

The access clearances got really tight between the main and mizzen, particularly in doing the braces, which basically run between the two masts .This work resulted in a number of "accidents" and some very colorful language. 

I have a few comments on the rigging process. I used Chuck's blocks and rigging line throughout. I tried to keep as close to scale sizes as possible. As a result, the majority of the blocks were quite small and the majority of the line of small diameters. The blocks are really good looking and well made. I did find that drilling the sheave  holes with a very slightly larger drill size made them easier to work with. The rigging line is also very good looking and generally easy to work with. As I've mentioned before, my only problem with it is a tendency to stretch or sag once in place. This presented some issues when running rigging lines had to be attached to the standing rigging.

With completion of the rigging, the only remaining items of work are the anchors, the stern lantern and possibly a boat to be hung from the stern davits.The kit castings for the anchors and lantern are not usable. I will scratch build the anchors and I'm continuing to look for a suitable lantern. I probably won't do the boat.

Bob

post-186-0-51166800-1432397159_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-06734500-1432397428_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-07031300-1432397475_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-44401300-1432397509_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-36701700-1432397548_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-05078900-1432397706_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-11454500-1432397824_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-34751300-1432398185_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-20103000-1432398483_thumb.jpg

A very enjoyable build :-)

Cheers, Daniel

wonderful rigging Bob,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Congratulations on reaching the milestone of completing the rigging.  It is simply beautifully pristine.  I trust you'll be happy to get back to working at deck level.

REALLY first rate, Bob.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Fantastic, Bob, really well done.  As for drilling the sheave holes in the blocks, that's what I had to do with Lloyd Warner's blocks as well, so it seems to be the nature of the beast.

Congratulations!  Are you going to use Chuck's lantern?

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks so much to all for the nice comments and the "likes". Always appreciated.

Martin, sadly Chuck's lanterns are too big. Chuck graciously attempted to cut one for me in the proper size, but it turned out not to be possible.

Bob

Came across your build log as I was gathering data for my next build.  Allow me to add my congratulations to an exceptional build!

I have a question.  Does any member know if ME has improved /made corrections to this kit.  They are offering it for $200 less and it certainly deserves consideration at that price.  Appreciate any feedback and again congratulations on a phenomenal build..

Mercdaddy27

Previous builds:  Corel's Victory , Mamoli's  Friesland, ,  Mantua's San Felipe.  Model Shipways USS Constitution

Current Project: Model Shipway's USS Syren

Congratulations on the excellent rigging, Bob.  I like the way the blocks don't overpower the stuff in the air.   :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Congratulations on completing the rigging Bob - a very satisfying milestone to reach. She looks absolutely superb. Why not add a scratch built boat? I'm sure that with the skills you've demonstrated many times over already, you would produce something worthy of the rest of your build. Just sayin'................ ;)

Hello Bob,

I follow this build from the beginning, a very good job, but a really good job ... one thing is not clear to me ...

could you be kind enough to show me more detailed the way (mechanism) in which the main yard is hanged ?

... salute,

Zoran

Nice job Bob. Very well done. Looks awesome. 

Current/But Not immediate Build Logs

I am still gathering the tools I need but starting preliminary work. Nothing to show just yet.

Fair American

Armed Virginia Sloop.

Simply fabulous work. How you manage to make all this look so clean and precise is just amazing.

Congratulations on finishing the rigging.

Cheers!

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Congrats on a stunning build, Bob !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Excellent job on the rigging, Bob! Your Essex is an absolute beauty! Now that the finish line is so near what are your thoughts for the next project?

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Many thanks guys for the generous praise and the "likes". 

Augie, you're right about wanting to get back to deck level stuff. I enjoy rigging, but….. :D  :D

Grant, doing the boat is very tempting, and I haven't made up my mind yet, but after almost two years on Essex I'm inclined to call it "done" when the anchors and lantern are on and move on to my next project --Chuck's Cheerful.

Mercdaddy27, you should take a look at the thread on the Essex kit under "Wood ship model  kits and reviews". It's not clear yet just what has been done.

Zoran, on Essex, the fore and main lower yards are both hung the same way. There is a truss pendant holding the yard to the mast ( I used a simplified version on the model); there is a sling, which consists of two thimbles connected by a lanyard, which are hung  from the lower mast cap; and there are the jeers, consisting of large blocks on the yards and hanging from cleats on the mast heads. The sling and jeers are shown in a photo in post #1392 on p.70 of the log. The crossjack on the mizzen has the truss parrel and sling, but no jeers.

Bob

Bob,

Before I exploded of admiring I will wait till the whole model is done.......

But that rigging looks so great.

It's my own guide when I reach that stage.....( somewhere in the future )

Sjors

The anchors have been made and mounted. That leaves only the lantern  ( I've pretty much decided not to do another boat).

The anchors and their stocks were all made from boxwood strip, with the anchors painted black and the stocks finished with Wipe-on Poly. The bands on the stocks are black painted paper. The bouys were shaped  from walnut dowel. 

I found a Caldercraft lantern that hopefully will be suitable, and I am awaiting it's arrival from Cornwall Model Boats. 

Bob

post-186-0-08587400-1433011550_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-47196500-1433011593_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-45717300-1433011629_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-13887800-1433011789_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-06205100-1433011817_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-97729500-1433011842_thumb.jpg

Guest Tim I.

Bob,

Stellar work as always. Your Essex looks fantastic. I am looking forward to following your new Cheerful log. Admittedly, I will miss this build. It has been an enjoyable journey to watch your work.

- Tim