HOGA (YT-146) by Cap'n'Bob - SMALL - 1:96 - Navy yard tug - Finished

looking at the picture of the ship in the air,  suggests that the bulwarks were nothing more than metal railings covered with a canvas.

that's a very interesting approach for the bulwarks.   I see that you've removed all of the posts........will you be putting in a different set of bulwark supports?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Tom,   Thanks, and yes, it was fun.   There is one long strip on each side that goes from the bow to where the orange clamp is.  Then another piece that wraps around the stern.

Thanks, John.  It’s always fun to figure out how to do something you’ve never done before.

Popeye,     The Bulwarks are metal but must be thin.  In the picture of the “ship in the air” you can see that she must have taken quite a blast from the port side.  Looking near the bow even the hull is bent in between each of the frames which are 18” apart. 

I will be adding the bulwark supports which are spaced seven feet apart.  By using 10 temporary supports I was able to angle each one 2 degrees more than the one before.  In order to get the 20 degrees needed at the stern post.  The 15 I will be fitting would have to be angled at 1.33 degrees.  2 degrees is easier.  Also the supports are so small that they will be supported by the bulwarks rather than the other way around.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob,

the disfigurement you see on the sides is from the constant banging against other objects barges ships fenders etc the older the boat the more indentations

the gunnals/sides above deck had internal supports that looked like this,so you can leave the supports but the inside edge needs to be perpendicular to the deck. the inside edge also had a right angle bend to stiffen the support. How did you determin the angle of each support as you go from bow to stern? and you are right the maximun angle is at the stern and how did you detrmin each support was 72" apart?

post-1091-0-92587100-1380129784_thumb.jpg

Its possible you can see the spacing on the outside of the YT149 just as you do on the hull but I remember them being about 60" apart. not much support but the main support was the large rub rail at the deck line on the outside surface of the hull and internal framing

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

I have been gathering pictures and other information on the Hoga and her sisters for over ten years.  The Woban class tugs were not all built at the same yard or at the same time or in the same way.  I find a lot of variation in what was on the deck and where it is located.  For example some boats had a raised grid in the stern and others were flat decks and the close-up pictures I have of the derelict, City of Oakland, ex Hoga, show the rusted gunnel supports as box beams without holes.  Since there are some things I cannot know for sure I have to use information from my old friend, Best Guess. 

As for the angle of the gunnels, what I have done brings the gunnel in too far before the stern so I will have to try again.

Bob

post-513-0-24306500-1380213105_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-50814900-1380213113_thumb.jpg

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

sounds to me like there were "classes" for the different tugs.......just like the naval vessels.   these are probably small differences, enabling them to handle different tasks.   this could give you a slight advantage.......you can 'bend' the aspects slightly to suit your vision of how you would like her to look.   in other words.......if something doesn't come out exactly,  you won't be too far out of the ballpark.

for example:  looking at that picture of the bulwark post......if there is a glue line,  leave it.   painted over, it will look like a weld ;)

the new posts look good,  by the way  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Still looks good.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Thanks Popeye.   The Hoga was one of the Woban class of yard tugs.  So far I have found 30 tugs that I think are of this class.  Right now in the Hoga folder I have about 175 files and over 250 Meg of information.  But you’re right I could do most anything, as long as the general shape is right, no one could say it’s wrong unless they were on the Hoga.  But that’s no fun.  The fun is in trying to make it as true to life as possible.  Just as you’re doing on your boats.

Thanks, Rob.

Hi All,

When the Hoga was at Pearl Harbor it was all painted a dark gray and the detail is hard to see.  I thought I should show you the hull before it gets painted.  I will be painting the hull dark gray but the decks and cabins will be a light gray so people will not have to strain their eyes.  

Bob

post-513-0-11543500-1380834946_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-82181700-1380834954_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-94337200-1380834961_thumb.jpg

Bob.

The hawse holes along the side have a lip around them. It looks like they're made of wood; is that the case? Also, do you make an inside lip and an outside lip separately or do you have a method of doing it as one unit?

As you recall, I, too, had several hawse holes to deal with in Vinalhaven. I finally made them out of styrene to maintain strength.

Tom

Hi Bob, really outstanding work, she's looking great.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

sweet looking hull so far Bob.......I like the deck layout,  the bulwarks really make it.   moving right along on her  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Tom,    you have good eyes.  The hawse lips are wood.  I shaped the outside of the lip, glued it in place and then drilled the hole.  The anchor holes are the only ones that have a lip on the inside, at present.  After the outer lip was glued and the hole was drilled, I glued on the inner lip and then drilled through the hole from the outside.  Trying to make the completed lip before gluing it in place was impossible for me but gluing it to the bulwark first held it all together while drilling.

Piet, John, Popeye,  Thanks for looking in and cheering me on.

Bob

Just a little update. I started on the cabin and capstans and located them temporarily on the deck. I’ll finish and paint everything before mounting them permanently. But it’s all coming together.

In trying to "make it right" I found so many differences between the photos of the Hoga and the drawings of the Nokomis that I put aside the drawings and am working from the photos now.  I find it interesting that between the launch on Dec 1st 1940 and showing up in Pearl Harbor on May 1st 1941 there were already changes made to the Hoga.  I am wanting to build it the way it was in Pearl Harbor but if I paint it all dark gray I’m afraid all the detail will be lost.  I’m thinking of painting it Light gray over dark gray.

Open to suggestions.

Bob  post-513-0-14495300-1381178356_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-20884800-1381178367_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-83135600-1381178373_thumb.jpg

On page one there are photos of bothe Hoga at sea triles and Hoga at Pearl Harbor.

Bob

Oh wow, Bob, she's really coming along nice.  Yes, grey can be a difficult color and loosing detail but if that's the color at the time period you want to depict, then - - -

You may be surprised in that it may turn out better then you envision.  Like John suggested, a mockup may help.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

OK you two.  Looks like I glue some scrap together and paint it.  But that comes later I still have a lot of building to do.

Bob

I did a bit of looking Bob........the hull looks more like the naval gray.......not quite sure of the name or F.S. number.   I couldn't get a good look at the deck,  but chances are it's a wood with a gray tint.......lighter gray inner bulwarks and structure

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

There is no wood in the construction of this vessel. exception being the captains cabin and the chief Engineers cabin had wood entry doors with wood trim around them and the bunks, desk and personal storage was wood. there is some wood trim through out the vessel but the primary construction material is steel!

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

I have been gathering pictures and other information on the Hoga and her sisters for over ten years.  The Woban class tugs were not all built at the same yard or at the same time or in the same way.  I find a lot of variation in what was on the deck and where it is located.  For example some boats had a raised grid in the stern and others were flat decks and the close-up pictures I have of the derelict, City of Oakland, ex Hoga, show the rusted gunnel supports as box beams without holes.  Since there are some things I cannot know for sure I have to use information from my old friend, Best Guess. 

As for the angle of the gunnels, what I have done brings the gunnel in too far before the stern so I will have to try again.

Bob

attachicon.gifRustDeck (Copy).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0631 (Copy).JPG

the gunnel support looks right but is not a box but a flat piece of metal bent at angle on inside edge. my boat spent several weeks tied up to a naval tender at Norfolk NOB  and they replaced about 60 feet of our gunnel on both sides and they mfg'd the supports the same as the existing ones

The drying racks at the stern (raised grid) was proably added later and might not have been on the original construction. basically it was used to dry the towing hawser when not in use. we basically flaked it on the drying rack to the conture of the stern

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Thanks, Popeye.  The colors, as far as I can make out, are:  5-D   Dark Gray   ANA 513  and  5-H     Haze Gray   FS 15526.

Taking a closer look at the picture of the boat at Pearl Harbor, it looks like everything is dark gray except the decks.  That’s my plan at present, . . . which is subject to change without notice.

Learner,  Yes, the structure is completely welded steel.  As for the gunnel support, I’ll leave them as they are.  In order to make them of angle, if the steel is 1/2 inch thick, at this scale I would have to make them out of 0.005 inch foil.  I’ll leave that to you when you build your YT150.  By the way, when you get around to your YT150 build I’ll be glad to send you everything I have on the class.

Bob

are those Humbrol colors?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The information came from a Navy site. I have found paint labled Haze Gray, other than that I'm lost.

Bob

Thanks, Popeye.  The colors, as far as I can make out, are:  5-D   Dark Gray   ANA 513  and  5-H     Haze Gray   FS 15526.

Taking a closer look at the picture of the boat at Pearl Harbor, it looks like everything is dark gray except the decks.  That’s my plan at present, . . . which is subject to change without notice.

Learner,  Yes, the structure is completely welded steel.  As for the gunnel support, I’ll leave them as they are.  In order to make them of angle, if the steel is 1/2 inch thick, at this scale I would have to make them out of 0.005 inch foil.  I’ll leave that to you when you build your YT150.  By the way, when you get around to your YT150 build I’ll be glad to send you everything I have on the class.

Bob

I don't think I will want to get that detailed and I am re-thinking the scale too. It is quite nice of you to offer your collection of your research on what you have collected for your build. It takes time to put all of that togther. I wish I could find the pictures I took while I was on the YT150 not that they would be that detailed but they would trigger memories of  details  

Guy

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Guy,

Eight years ago I was planning on building the City of Oakland as an RC boat at 1:48 scale with less detail but working monitors.  Today I don’t do RC and I add more detail.  Things change.

Bob

Bob i love this  work - the hull is very well done :piratebo5:

Thanks, but I see I need to practice with styrene.  It’s amazing what you do with it.

Bob

Bob your model is coming along nicely. I am envious of your time working on the model, at the moment I am not able to spend any time on the models.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.