HOGA (YT-146) by Cap'n'Bob - SMALL - 1:96 - Navy yard tug - Finished

:(

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Michael,

Thanks for the encouraging words, and I’m sorry you are being prevented from building your own models right now.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

The more I look at the pictures the more I see. On the drawings of the Nokomis and on the picture of the Hoga at sea trials there are only two towing bitts on each side, but I noticed that in the picture of the Hoga at Pearl Harbor there was another set of bitts added to each side. (see red circle)

Not here.

post-513-0-17372000-1381702681_thumb.jpg

There they are.

post-513-0-76367900-1381702697_thumb.jpg

And I cannot find a stern drying grid in any of the pictures of the Hoga or the City of Oakland. So here is where we are, the hull is done and the main part of the cabin. Now for the upper deck and the pipes and vents around the cabin.

post-513-0-90388000-1381702710_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-81003500-1381702721_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-01319200-1381702730_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-21280500-1381702740_thumb.jpg

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Thanks John.  She is fun to build.

Bob

Bob my first model ship HMS KGV 1:160 i do all from wood.

inlcude the superstructure but the thin plate from warp in some parts so'

i decided do rebuild(the superstructure from styrene who was a new material for me.

I like so much styrene for big scale models.

is impervious and you can paint with automotive paint (in my case).

but i like the wood for hull.

i know with your ability you will do great styrene constructions.

just start :dancetl6:

NBP,

Thanks for the encouragement.

Here in this little town, I belong to the “Scale Model Club”.  There are no restrictions as to what can be built and most of the members build plastic kits of cars or planes and do fantastic work.  So if I decide to use plastic I will have lots of help.

Thanks again.

Bob

HOGA  is coming along nicely Bob.........shaping up to be a nice looking tug ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks Popeye,  Ah, that I could spend more time on her.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a little more detail.  The pipes are .025 darkened annealed steel wire.  At the hardware store they refer to it as rebar tie wire.  The ladder is .015 wire. 

I like this material.  It’s easy to work and I frequently flatten it to represent black iron straps or mast bands.  Now on to the upper deck.

Bob

post-513-0-23243300-1382803932_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-24937600-1382803942_thumb.jpg

Bob, looking fantastic! can not wait until you finish. Were you able to determin why it was painted such a dark color while in Pearl?

This picture of Nakomis shows the midships set of bits

post-1091-0-89496500-1382808972_thumb.jpg

Missing shuttle

post-1091-0-45366300-1382806440.jpg

One thing I notice in a previous post you are missing a scuttle hatch between the capstain and the fwd cabin bulkhead on the deck that accessed the crew quarters. There was also a hatch fwd under the kingpost to access the chain locker. the king post on the YT150 during the 60's had a cap on top about two inches larger than the post and there was a cross bar 3-4" in diameter about half way between the gunnal and the top of the post.

when you have finished the deck house and pilot house are you going to add bow matts and fenders?

Guy

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

looking really great Bob.........I love the detail.........and it protrudes enough not to be lost in the color.....don't worry too much about that  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks John, When this is done I think I’ll give 1:96 back to you and return to my comfort zone of 1:48.

Popeye, thanks for your comment on the color.  Since two of us agree, I’m going to leave it as is.

Guy, Thanks for pointing out the cap and pin on the post.  I missed that.  As for the scuttle hatches they were 18” and flush to the deck.  At this scale It would be a  3/16” circle on the deck.  Maybe, we’ll see.  The bow mats and fenders will be added at the end.

Bob

Now, on to the pilot house, it has a round front with three windows.   First I drew a top view to get the spacing.  The windows are .28” wide with .06” between them.  The windows are flat while the structure curves.  I cut the windows undersize and glued the panel to the curved top and bottom before I trimmed away the excess.  I then put tape on the panel to show the limits of the windows and cut and sanded the windows to size.  On the fourth try it worked.  I made the side and back panels the same way.  Now its paint and add the wood trim around the windows.  Then add the interior furniture so I can glue on the back, which you can see on the deck,    Ah well, one thing at a time.

Guy, what color was the inside of the pilot house on YT 150 I suspect a light tan but I’m not sure.

Bob

post-513-0-73577500-1383157832_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-94129700-1383157841_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-35350900-1383157851_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-95680200-1383157861_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-26748100-1383157877_thumb.jpg

Thanks John,

Guy was on one of the Woban class tugs, hopefully he will remember the color.

Bob

pilot house looks great bob........it fleshed out well.   reminds me so much of the Nordkap.....at 1:50 scale,  I had so much room to play with

it will be neat to watch  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

we were supplied paint from service craft stores the the colors were limited but as I remember the interiour colors were either  light green, white or grey. the crews quarters was  light green as was the captain and chief engineers cabin most of the rest was white. I remember adding blue into the white to keep it from turning yellow. for the galley, engine room, and the open area (crew washroom and rest rooms). Some of the newer boats had a light blue/white on the inside  the pilot house interiour was light green (I think this was an industrial color used in the 60.s and 70's) I can look at my Behr paint color swatch book and see if I can come up with a color match for yo if you want

Bob I like the brass rim port holes......just as I remembered as I had to polish them LOL.

Guy

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Thanks Tom,  I was just lucky the curve wasn’t a tight as on the Vinal Haven.

Bob

Nice work on the windows Bob, What is the wood that you are using?

michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

looking good Bob

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Michael, The white wood is bass wood, the dark wood is that .5mm X 4mm strips that comes in kits for second planking, I think it’s mahogany but I’m not sure.

Thanks Pete, your lobster smacks are looking good.

Bob

Hi Bob, if you have not already picked out a color for the interiour of the pilothouse Behr "Canton Jade  460A-3" or "Tropical Dream 460A-2" are close shades that I think would work as I remember, but I think it was called pea green. there was a lot of wood work around the windows and on the inside of the pilot house and and an equal amount of painted walls. cieling was white! the window glass droped down from the top into the wall cavity below it...all the front cabin window were the sam for the pilot house...no cranks

Guy

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Hello Bob, B)

Just browsed your build log. Quite a cute tug. I like the streamlined hull - quite a neat finish.

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

Guy, Thanks but I mixed up a light green and painted.  The Wheel house is less than a one inch cube.  That makes it fun to work on the inside but I’ll do what I can.

Paul, Thanks for stopping by, feel free to browse any time you like.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

With every boat I build, there comes a time, when the hull and deck are finished and I’m starting on the cabin and deck furniture. At that time I start thinking of the next build.  The new boat takes over and consumes all my free time.  I get the plans and start doing the research and all work on the present build stops.  But after a while the new boat slowly moves into the background and I know I have to finish the present build before I start the new or I would never finish any of my builds.  That’s where I am on the Hoga.  Now to get back to building.  Here are the latest pictures.

Bob

post-513-0-95807300-1384546859_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-81474900-1384546869_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-33584200-1384546878_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-34289300-1384546887_thumb.jpg