HOGA (YT-146) by Cap'n'Bob - SMALL - 1:96 - Navy yard tug - Finished

At that time I start thinking of the next build.  The new boat takes over and consumes all my free time.  I get the plans and start doing the research and all work on the present build stops.

Well Bob this is a tease? .....yes and so the next build will be....

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Whoa!, Cap't, a lot of progress between entry #106 and #121. I'm looking through those beautifully clear windows and seeing mahogany trim inside. I had a terrible time with my pilot house at 1:48, and you're working at 1:96! (maybe your fingers are smaller than mine?)

Very nice work.

Tom

Hello Bob,

Looking real spiffy and real like! Great job.  Now back to building the rest of her  ;)  ;)

Cheers

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

John:  Guy may know better but the best I can tell there was no anti fouling paint.

Michael:  At present I am looking at the Lettie G Howard.  It’s a fishing schooner that was altered at least three times.  I want to build it as it was originally.

Tom:  There’s not much inside.  The mahogany you see is the window trim on the other side.  I only wish I could match your skill.

Piet:  Yes, back to building the rest, mostly the railings.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Looks great Bob, She's really taking shape,  nice detail work

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks, Pete.  Not much more to do.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

careful Bob........don't get sucked in....or you'll end up like me! :D :D :D :D   super job on the tug......looking real sweet!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Ya, Popeye.  I sure wouldn't want to t be like you.  :D  :D  :D

Hope your NOT move wasn't too disturbing and you get to build soon.

Bob

Hello Bob, :)

Sure getting the best out of it. The bulgy hull and the superstructure are neatly finished.

Just one advise - At that scale, I would introduce some more detailing, such as rivet lines, pipework, electrical wires and conduits, light fittings and any other accessories that were fitted on board.

All in all, it's the detail that makes the model look brighter.

Keep it up Bob, you are on the right track.

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

Thanks, Paul. The boat was all welded so no rivets but ther is more detail to come.

Bob

Bob the deck house looks good, don't forget to add the 6 dogs on each hatch/door.

The portholes all opened and were either riveted or bolted in...proably too small for that detail

Guy

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

Every thing is too small.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

Wow!  It’s been almost a month since I’ve added to this thread.  Well I did a little more adding to the deck furnishings and details.   Those who have done a web search are sure to see more that could be added, but for now I’m going to call it finished.  As I said early on, years ago I had wanted to build the Hoga in a larger scale as an RC boat but that never happened.  This build was a “make do” so I could say I built it, but it is not the boat in the water I had dreamed of and I am not happy with it.  So it’s time to say, “Enough, It is finished.” and go on to other builds.   Here are pictures as it is now.  Good enough to put on the shelf.

Bob

post-513-0-88989200-1386788931_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-42457400-1386788944_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-47017400-1386788957_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

There is water, but right now, with the drought, not much.  Also I now have to build smaller boats because of space limitations.  So RC for now is out.

Bob

Great to see you have finished this fine model and now .... the Howard?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Yes, next build will be the Lettie G Howard in 1:48 scale.  I'll start the build log soon.

Bob

considering what you've done to get to this point.......I'd say you did a splendid job Bob.   looking at the aft deck,  it gives me the impression that your not finished.........it's too bad that your not happy with it.   it's done............for now ;)    looking at your past builds........I'm not convinced.   I'm sure that one day,  you'll bring 'er back to the table,  and add to 'er.      I look forward in seeing more  :)       you've done a great job!

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Yes, Popeye.  Someday I may bring it back to the table but it may be years and I cant see keeping this log open.  So it's finished. 

Bob

Wow!  It’s been almost a month since I’ve added to this thread.  Well I did a little more adding to the deck furnishings and details.   Those who have done a web search are sure to see more that could be added, but for now I’m going to call it finished.  As I said early on, years ago I had wanted to build the Hoga in a larger scale as an RC boat but that never happened.  This build was a “make do” so I could say I built it, but it is not the boat in the water I had dreamed of and I am not happy with it.  So it’s time to say, “Enough, It is finished.” and go on to other builds.   Here are pictures as it is now.  Good enough to put on the shelf.

Bob

attachicon.gifIMG_0732.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0733.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0734.JPG

Bob, Looks great kinda what I remember, If I ever come across a set of line Plans for this class I will build a 1:48 model ...perhaps even an RC

Guy

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Guy,  Billings Boats use to sell a kit at 1:50.  You might contact them and see if they will part with the lines they made thier kit from.

John, thanks for the kind words and glad you are joining me on the Lettie.

Bob

I have sent Billings Boat an e-mail but it has been a while since they have sold the kit hopefully they will have the research available.

I came  across this picture today taken in the mid 40's of YTM446, it has a lot of detail and is a very clear picture. it has an extended deck house aft beyond where the galley would have been, I doubt if there was a  towing bit aft because of the limited space. It also has  a raised pilot house with the captain's cabin just aft on the main deck house. But it is still a Woban class tug!

post-1091-0-20930700-1386977309_thumb.jpg

the site said it was operated by African Americans, possibly an east coast location

Will check out your new site asap

Guy

Edited by the learner

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

• 6 months later...

Bob, I'm most impressed with your Hoga/City of Oakland.  You did very well under the constraints imposed by the lack of informational resources.

Just a brief historical correction: Hoga is the only Navy hull still afloat of any kind which saw combat at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. (The USCG's cutter Roger B. Taney was also present and saw combat that day, she being the only other such US vessel in existence and now an historical memorial.)

To my regret, I came across your build log a day late and a dollar short.  In 1995, I wrote the original application to the Navy's ship donation program for Hoga's donation as an historical memorial.  I had access to technical assistance from the Navy's Sea Systems Command and the Oakland Fire Department crew that had just then returned her to the Navy.  Let me assure you that at that time she was hardly a hulk.  She had just recently enjoyed a motor rebuild with new platinum contacts and a major servicing of one of her two ALCO diesels and was "good to go."  (The supplemental hose manifolds and fire fighting equipment mounted for service as a fireboat were in large measure powered by a couple of large diesel generators and pumps mounted on the after deck and not present in her service configuration.)  As politics sometimes have it, Oakland's city council was sold a bill of goods by a vendor in the form of a smaller jet propelled shallow draft fireboat and so, over the objections of the fire department crew, Hoga was declared no longer needed. 

I would expect that you would have been able to secure line drawings from NAVSEASYS or the Navy Historical Department at the Washington Navy Yard, which I believe retain copies of everything the Navy has ever owned, but that's water under the bridge now.  She was at that time surveyed in detail by Tri-Coastal Marine in Berkeley, CA, a well-known vessel surveying firm and I also had their reports.

The application I wrote for a local yacht club and for the purpose of securing Hoga for restoration to her 12-7-41 configuration for use as an operating tug serving the Liberty Ship Memorial vessel, Jeremiah O'Brien, in San Francisco.  The application had wide-spread support in all the right places, but ran onto the rocks when, at a certain level, a Navy bureaucrat refused to waive the usual requirement that memorial vessels be essentially "gutted" and rendered entirely non-operational, which, of course was a ridiculous proposition in this instance.  She'd been meticulously maintained by the OFD since Oakland had obtained her on a post-war surplus dollar-a-year lease right after WWII.  That was "game over" for our proposal.  We had no interest in rendering Hoga non-operational.  We wanted to see her sailing.  (The legalities of all this are fascinating, if one has an interest in them.  The Jeremiah O'Brien is fully operational because as a Merchant Marine vessel, she was obtained from the Maritime Administration's ("MARAD") "mothball fleet," not from the Navy.  The carrier Hornet now on display in Alameda, CA, was preserved only at the last minute because a group was able to buy it from the winner of the auction when she was sold as scrap.  The Navy wouldn't sell or donate her for memorial purposes, but insisted she be sold for scrap, although once sold, the scrapper could do whatever he wanted with her... go figure!)

Actually, as it turned out, we turned over a rock at NAVSEASYS that nobody ever saw coming.  Although it was originally thought that Oakland's "return" of the leased surplus vessel would make our obtaining it, also as surplus, an easy task, it was, supposedly to everyone in Washington's amazement, ascertained upon our application that Hoga had never been stricken from the Navy roll and had been carried on the Navy roll and funded as an active USN vessel in the Navy budget since the end of the war!  While I wasn't a "fly on the wall," it seems there must have been a lot of fancy dancing and dust swept under the rug to correct that paperwork.  Who knows what it cost for crew, fuel allotments, maintenance and the rest, year after year, and where did that money really go?  Your tax dollars at work, no doubt!  Pretty amazing that the Navy wouldn't have noticed they were "missing" a 100 foot tug for fifty plus years, no?

Once the Navy got Hoga stricken from the rolls, they sent her up to the MARAD "mothball fleet" in Suisun Bay where MARAD preserved her, after a fashion, as they do with various surplus vessels such as Howard Hughes' Glomar Explorer.  A group in Honolulu applied to take her as a memorial at Pearl Harbor, hoping to operate her in conjunction with the BB Missouri memorial.  I heard that they were unable to justify the expense of shipping her out to Pearl from SF because the Navy had by then decided that she was a "treasure" which could not be risked on making the trip on her own bottom.  The last I heard, she was supposedly donated to a group in Arkansas, IIRC, who wanted to display her in a local park up some river there, but they had run out of money and she was languishing again.  The last time I was up at the "mothball fleet," which I guess was maybe a year ago, she was still there, covered in seagull poop.  I have no idea what justification the Navy had for giving Hoga to a group in Arkansas which has not the remotest connection with the vessel's long and illustrious history.  She spent her entire working life at Pearl Harbor, "for the duration" and then as the City of Oakland.  One or the other... but Arkansas? Well, I guess at least the seagulls won't be using her for their head.

And to provide a further ironic finish to the whole sad story, the Oakland Fire Department found upon taking delivery of their new jet propelled shallow draft fireboat, that when they cut loose with the monitors, the "recoil" from their flow of water pushed the lightweight shallow draft bucket all over the place, so much so as to pretty much render it useless.  It might have been faster than City of Oakland getting to a fire, but it wasn't much help when it got there!  The old City of Oakland was like a rock and indeed no lightweight.  Last I heard, Oakland had sent their new fireboat back for modifications to try to cure the problem.  At least that was the rumor.

Bob, that is quite a story.  I thought I heard late last year that she had been moved to dry-dock.  There are so many stories about her present state that it is hard to know the truth.  I also thought it should have gone to Pearl Harbor where she would be at home.  Arkansas probably got her due to some political favor.  I still hope to build the City of Oakland someday but there are many others to build first.

Thanks for the letter.

Bob

Bob,

A very interesting story and I am glad to see she is still around.  I was stationed in Norfolk in the mid 60's and served on several woban class tugs, I too would be interested in finding a set of line drawings but have not been sucessful to date. I did find a set of drawing  but no lines I believe from NAVSEASYS. I will definately expand my search back to NAVSEASYS and  the Navy Historical Department at the Washington Navy Yard.

Thanks,

Guy

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

HEY LOOKS GOOD BOB!

BUILDING A TUG NOW. THAT'S COOL

MARIO

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER