Help Rigging Main Boom and Gaff for Nisha (Vanguard Models)

Glomar
Go to solution Solved by Craigie65,

Hi All! 

I am finishing up my build for the Nisha but I am struggling to figure out how to rig the main boom and gaff onto the mast. I have a hard time conceptualizing how to tie knots to begin with so if someone would be able to help further break it down I would be incredibly grateful. 

image.thumb.png.9da24a38addf908d2f2daacadda83129.png

Thanks Craig! I have been able to manage the rigging blocks ok, the trouble I am having is with figuring out how to do the rigging between the the mast and the gaff/boom. I am not sure of the exact terminology but the treading connecting the rigging blocks from the mast to the rigging blocks on the gaff 

image.png.071e6b26eef6f96dc07bb6d5358b9c66.png

• Solution

Glomar,

sorry when you said you were having problems with tying knots I assumed you meant the block. 

Do you mean how the line runs?

The rigging in the bottom left starts with the line being seized to the becket (you can just about see the small loop in the plan) at the bottom of the block tied to the boom. It is then led down and through the lower block, back up the and through the top block, back down to the bottom block and then through the top block. The line is led to belaying point 2 which is the rail at the back of the ship. The first plan you posted shows the belaying point. You will find it helpful to dip the running end of the rigging thread in CA to create a needle - it make it easier to pass through the blocks. Also watch for the blocks twisting - the ropes should be parallel. If they twist it usually means you have threaded the line through the block back to front!

The one attached to the mast runs from the bottom eyelet, then follow the arrows down through the first block on the boom and back up to the lower block on the mast and so on until you lead the end to belaying point 4, at the foot of the mast.

Does that help?

Edited by Craigie65

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

This is incredibly helpful as always! Sorry for the confusion, I did mean with how the line runs. 

For whatever reason, it did not occur to me that the belaying points were correlated with the (clearly) marked number on the plan. For the line connecting the mast to the gaff- is it just a single thread from the eyelet on the mast to the belaying point? image.png.88a0c2fe4c90e14c718f9150add5898f.png

Hi,

tie a simple overhand knot at one end of your line to stop it from being pulled through the yoke. Pull it taut and tie a knot at the other end.

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models