Occre Polaris, is there a real role model?

ubjs

Hi @ubjs, No, it is not a "real" boat, it is a design of a boat as they say on their website, designed for beginners and learning the basics of construction.  I don't know if there are similar ships in the Baltic Sea.  The name "Polaris" only refers to the "North Star", guide for navigators

Greetings

Gus

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Current build log:

San Francisco Cross Section

6 hours ago, consitution said:

Polaris is a beginner model ship kit from Occre it was purchased by Shackleton and modified to become the Endurance 

the Endurance is also available from occre

This is a different 'Polaris'. OcCre just labeled their kit Polaris, probably because it sounds good.

My knowledge of the ship modeling kit industry is certainly not perfect. But, as I recall, much of the talent at OcCre were originally working at Artesania Latina. Some time back, Artesania Latina created a model kit of an American pilot boat, c.1800, they called the Swift.

If you look at the Swift, you may notice a lot of similarities in shape and some features as OcCre's Polaris. And, Polaris, as has been mentioned by Gus earlier, is just what they named their kit that they built for beginning ship modelers. 

If you want to consider what kind of ship it might really represent, I would consider it to then be a ship of probably American origin, built around 1800, that might have originally been built as a pilot boat, but adapted to some other purpose. Perhaps a small coastal trader? Or maybe, given the name, something put into service to chart arctic waters? 

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

I have now ordered Polaris but I have also changed my plan.

I will build Polaris like it is to restart my modelshipbuilding career. :)

And I will copy some of the parts and build a waterline model for my model railroad modul in 0-scale, Enköpings harbor.

I have got some plans from Seahistoric museum in Sweden and I have got a lot of pictures of similar boats and also think that I have found the name of the ship in the link in nr 3, it was called Folke.

Why Polaris? Its doubleplanked, its cheap and there is, I think, a very good building log on this forum.

I have copied the log to a word-document and will print it.