2nd time around

CPT_D

As happens far too often (I'm sure) I completely failed at building my first ship.  I could make all kinds of excuses but in the end, it was me simply jumping into the deep end too fast.  With that out of the way, I want to try it again but this time I think I'm going to go in a little slower.  I want a smaller ship that I can buy a full codex for that's on a beginner level.  I want to do my own planking (it's what really draws me to this hobby) so that has to be part of the ship.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

SD

I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Sorry to hear about your first effort - but excited that you’re giving it another try. Would you be willing to share what your first attempt was? It may help gauge suggestions for this time around.

I would potentially suggest Vanguard’s line or working ships (great instructions/materials/etc) which can be found here (anything without cannons… but if you prefer some cannons the Alert was my first build with planking): https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product-category/vanguard-model-kits/?orderby=price

Good luck! I’m certain there will be some other great suggestions as well.

Can you also give us some idea of your experience in any kind of model work. That would also help us suggest an appropriate project.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

A search of SD's previous content yields this  " I bought 3 kits the Syren, the Marseille (C. Mamoli 1/64 kit), and the HMS Victory cross section."

Based on posts, I am guessing that Syren was the first build.

I suggest not giving any priority to the planking ambition for a while.  Since your shortcut on acquiring experience did not lead to the result that you wished,  why not follow as tried and true a course as there is at present to get up to speed?

The Model Shipways Shipwright Series  has a fairly low entry fee.   The finished models are attractive, small,  would look good on library shelves (in their separate "glass houses") and being boats, would give you the chops to build the boats that every large vessel carried.

Your model of Syren is made of wood.  It would not be difficult to acquire the raw materials to either backup to the stage where things went bad,  Or duplicate the whole K&K from raw materials and build a Syren v.2 that has superior materials.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I totally agree with Jaager.   Begin at the beginning has untold advantages.  And open on a log when you start.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm not sure what kind of reading you did before you got started, but I think Frank Mastini's "Ship Modeling Simplified" is invaluable for a beginner. It does a very good job of simply explaining the various steps in building a ship, everything from planking to rigging. It looks like you can pick up a used copy on Amazon for about $9, including shipping. https://www.amazon.com/Ship-Modeling-Simplified-Techniques-Construction/dp/0071558675/ref=sr_1_1?crid=QZS69USMSME7&keywords=Ship+model+simplified&qid=1679171208&sprefix=ship+model+simplified%2Caps%2C95&sr=8-1

Right now Model Expo is having a half-price sale on their Model Shipways kits. The Lobster Smack looks like a great deal for $37 and is one of their shipwright series, which, as Jaeger said, are really designed to introduce people to the hobby. 

https://modelexpo-online.com/muscongus-bay-lobster-smack.html

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

For a complete beginner, I'd recommend the dory first. It introduces basic concepts that are needed to successfully go on to the Norwegian pram and lobster smack.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I heartily agree with Cap'n Birdseye in his recommendation.  While it might not be a "first model" it makes a good early learning model.  If done well, it can be a good presentation model as well.   I would recommend substituting Alaskan Yellow Cedar for basswood planking.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

18 hours ago, Jaager said:

A search of SD's previous content yields this  " I bought 3 kits the Syren, the Marseille (C. Mamoli 1/64 kit), and the HMS Victory cross section."

Based on posts, I am guessing that Syren was the first build.

I suggest not giving any priority to the planking ambition for a while.  Since your shortcut on acquiring experience did not lead to the result that you wished,  why not follow as tried and true a course as there is at present to get up to speed?

The Model Shipways Shipwright Series  has a fairly low entry fee.   The finished models are attractive, small,  would look good on library shelves (in their separate "glass houses") and being boats, would give you the chops to build the boats that every large vessel carried.

Your model of Syren is made of wood.  It would not be difficult to acquire the raw materials to either backup to the stage where things went bad,  Or duplicate the whole K&K from raw materials and build a Syren v.2 that has superior materials.

I would actually try to continue with the Syren kit but sadly I don't have it, or any of the kits, anymore.  Should I just buy another Syren?

I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

10 minutes ago, CPT_D said:

Should I just buy another Syren?

Nu, unless you developed a magnetic attraction for the subject.

I wrote that to make a point. 

The point is:

with a wood ship model kit, all is never lost if you make a mistake. With wood, the same (or most often) better components can be self manufactured.  The barrier to scratch is more imaginary than real, unlike with a kit of molded plastic pieces,  

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Depending on what glue you used, once you are comfortable around ship models, you can either try to correct the mistakes with some sanding and applying a thin second layer of planking or simply loosen the glue, remove the wood that is causing the problem and start over. I have never done that, but I have seen people on this site and on other sites who have revisited projects, removed bad work and made things turn out well. 

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

• 3 weeks later...

CaptD

Here's what I did to get back in the water.  I did some small boat kits.  MS had a good price on a three boat set a couple months back.   I was attracted to the "working boat" category and the simple, straight forward builds of these kits allowed me to ease back in.   I have since bought several more skiff and working boats as well as the MS Mayflower kit.  My plan from here is to start the Mayflower but do the smaller kits as I wait for glue/paint to dry and as a change of pace.

So it goes.

DBW

The Mayflower is a fun ship to build, I am making one now , if I can help in anyway  let me know. Then I will ask someone who knows lol. Good luck on your journey  :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

SD, limit spending to no more than a couple of hundred bucks for a kit and get knee deep in it. Work till you either finish or get frustrated enough that you need to stop. If the latter happens, take a break. Look through as many build logs as you have time and learn from what you observe. Buy a couple of books and add to your knowledge Then go back to whatever model you were working on and try to finish it. If you can't finish it, put it aside for a couple of years and try again. If at that point you can't finish it, chuck it in the bin and find a hobby that makes you want to get out of bed in the morning. life is too short to saddle yourself with a hobby that is drudgery. Model ships are joy to view and for some a joy to build but not all people who enjoy looking at model ships are model ship builders. 

Edited by Keith Black

It sounds like you walked away from the first attempt with not much more experience, but alot more wisdom.  The fact that you are trying again tells me much.  This hobby is very much about going back and fixing things that went wrong.  As mentioned above, sanding here or there, making a new piece, adding another layer of planking.  I am a big fan of going back, ungluing something that is not right and doing it over again.  This includes a large swath of planking.  The first time around you find out how NOT to do it :default_wallbash:  and hopefully gain insight on how TO do  it.

As Keith said,sometimes when you hit a snag you just have to set it aside.  Sometimes I will do that for a couple days and my mind will work on the problem.  As a friend and fellow modeler once told me 'if you can draw it, you can make it'.  It need not be an engineers dream diagram, but sometimes if you pencil it out it makes more sense.

No screw up is a complete lost.  I had an old schooner ENTERPRISE model (y'all know the one) I screwed up.  I kept it and later used it to experiment on before I tried the same thing on a "keeper" model.

Good luck and remember, patience is one of the most important tools in our kit. :cheers:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

On 3/18/2023 at 1:48 PM, CaptnBirdseye said:

Just a thought, but……if you want to learn to do your own planking, what about the half-hull planking project from the NRG?

best way to learn.

Happily agree on this idea.  I did the NRG training kit first to learn some planking skills and it's a great tool.  Plus if planking is your interest it's perfect as that's all it is (well, some frame and rabbet practice too) and it's not terribly expensive.   

Rick

Current Build: MS Mayflower II

Completed: MS USF EssexMS USS Constitution Cross SectionMS 18th Century Armed Longboat  

I had the same experience, 40 years ago I started with a solid hull model and failed to get past step one.  I've built a lot of plastic models but never went back to try a wood model, shaping a hull and the rigging intimidated me.  A couple of years ago I decided to try my hand at wood models and saw an advertisement for Model Expo & Shipways models.  I started with the Model Shipways 3 ship beginners set and they took me step by step and I learned a lot of skills and knowledge for a fair price.  So much I tried my hand at a solid hull again and it's been successful so far.

I highly recommend the Model Shipways Shipwright 3 Kit Series. By the time you finish the 3rd boat, the Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, you will have the skills to take on anything.

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                        Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

18th Century Long Boat - Model Shipways - 1:48

Norwegian Sailing Pram - Model Shipways - 1:12

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24