mini belt sanders

Hello all

It's been awhile since I posted anything..was in  Naples, Fl for the winter dealing with the last hurricane issues.. but found time to work on my Confederacy... I decided to bring her home to NY,  along with my Byrnes saw,minidrill etc or risk losing them in the next blow.. I was looking at those Chinese mini belt sanders, which I could transport back and forth..One of our guys  demonstrated one at our  Naples Shipmodelers  mtg..I thought it was quite nice..anyone have any feedback /preference on them?   Thanks in advance

John

I have two... a Proxxon and a MicroMark. Both are hand held. The Micromark is wider than the Proxxon and requires their power supply to operate it.  Both work well.  For most purposes, I use the MicroMark version as I find the Proxxon is a bit unwieldy for many tasks.

I also have a belt/disk combo but I really wouldn't say it's all that portable.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello John, 

I have one of the AliBaba belt Sanders that was bought on a whim. It's great!

You have probably seen they come in different forms but all appear to have the same components so all I can say is mine works well, the dc motor is plenty strong enough for the job, the supplied belts are better than expected,  the variable speed/reversing transformer is a must and most surprisingly the build quality was rock-solid.

I wouldn't use this tool for non-stop production line work but I sharpen chisels and saw blades with it as well as the lighter jobs and it doesn't complain. 

HTH 

Bruce 

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

11 hours ago, manning16 said:

..Bruce, I lived in London,Lancaster Rd/ Portobello  Rd in the 70's..

John, I was in Bassett Road at that time ... four blocks away. Seems we might have bumped into each other at Portobello Road market on Saturday mornings.

For the record, here is the mini-beltsander I enthused about:

Multifunctional-Grinder-Electric-Belt-Sander-DIY-Polishing-Grinding-Machine-Cutter-Edges-Sharpener-with-10pcs-30mm-Sanding.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Image is representative of Alibaba items, same machine is available from a dozen vendors.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

On 3/22/2023 at 8:18 PM, manning16 said:

Shipmodelers  mtg..I thought it was quite nice..anyone have any feedback /preference on them? 

I have the old Dremel 1"/5" combo that is what preceded all of these others

I have not really found a use for it.  If you find you need a disc sander, one of the Byrens machines will serve you well.

A belt sander seems to be aggressive.  You are POB?  I think you will really regret using one to bevel the moulds.  It will eat more than you want it to, faster than you want it to.

If you intend to use it to spill planks, there are much safer ways.  A miniature hand plane can remove fine curls until you get to the sanding block stage.

It has been a couple of lifetimes since I built a kit and none was POB.  With that, I am having a difficult time visualizing a job for a belt sander with a POB build.  Certainly no job that a hand tool would not do at a much lower cost and be easier to migrate with.

I do use a 4"x36" el cheepo HF belt sander.  It is excellent at doing bulk beveling of a 1"-2" thick plywood made of 12 layers of Hard Maple and Pine.  But if you do that, you need to live alone.  The cloud of saw dust makes Pigpen look pristine and a 1950's South Carolina cotton mill look like an operating room.

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers