HMS Macedonian 1812 Frigate by Jerry Todd - 1:36 scale - RADIO

The cannon look really good.    No layering sometimes seen with  3D printing..  

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

58 minutes ago, Gregory said:

The cannon look really good.    No layering sometimes seen with  3D printing..  

It's there, but is much less pronounced with thinner layers and not being round like what comes from a nozzle.  It has a silk texture, like butterfly wings a bit like looking at a phonograph record at a low angle.

Click a pic to go to that build log

sig_flags.png stamp_stella.jpg stamp_mac.jpg stamp_pride.jpg stamp_gazela.jpg

The banding certainly doesn't show up in you photos..  I cant imagine anyone calling you on it as a point of contention...

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Wow...  the guns look great, Jerry.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

She did go for a swim last May.  If work or this virus don't kill me, I hope to get the hull presentable this year; paint etc.  As I intend to have the gundeck detailed, there'll be more to her than Constellation, but with that experience, a little easier - I hope.

mac20190518c.thumb.jpg.90ba7e438c1e03e1d830e16970ff1108.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Altered the 3D model of the Blomefield pattern 18 pounders; raised the ER cartouche relief a little so it's easier to see, and widened the trunions, but the still print a bit misshapen.

mac20200410b.jpg.380588cd1163c158676cfd3d272994d6.jpg

Again, back in May 19; all three models on display at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum.

mac20190518d.jpg.61f343976e7c3aaf3afb45df46c688a5.jpg

• 3 months later...

Experience with Constellation's yard bracing got me thinking that that wasn't the most efficient method I could go with.  With the winch drums horizontal, even with the sliding servos and springs to maintain tension, some slack still develops and slack can lead to lines tangling, or slipping off their drum.  To deal with that the drums have very wide flanges and guides to keep the lines in their place.  When I got to trying to control Constellation's courses I could find no way to do it using her horizontal winch drums that wasn't more complicated than it was worth.

With the winch drums mounted on their sides, the issue of slack isn't as pronounced as with them mounted horizontally.  With proper guides, there's little chance of them slipping off their drum onto another and getting tangled.  There's ways of dealing with any excessive slack.  Al Lheureux basically used a version of this on his Rattlesnake

rattlesnake7.jpg.9bd029c5b5c99681f872fa6302ad096c.jpg

For a brief moment in 2016, I gave the idea of turning the winches on their side a thought,  What put me off the idea was the vertical space it seemed it would take up, and I let it go, but recently Timmo mentioned his brace controls  in his frigate Enterprise build log, and I got to thinking about it again.

mac20161202a.thumb.jpg.a49cc4cedd61ae3c3032a884cd471787.jpg  Looking at the idea of vertical winches in 2016

Besides the issue of slack, it's controlling the tacks of the courses within the same winch system that really got me back to thinking of this again.

verticle_brace_winch1.jpg.221ee47fceb467a5c34c6ba0206677d5.jpg  verticle_brace_winch2.jpg.356294bb28ffa14875b885c36337dc3f.jpg 

A simple 3D model of two winch servos with drums mounted on their sides.  Reducing the size of the flanges would further reduce the overall size of the unit.  The tall gray things are aluminum sheet with holes to guide the braces onto their drums.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Some years ago someone scanned the Macedonian figurehead at the US Naval Academy.  A reproduction has since been made so the "original" will be kept indoors, and the repop up on the pedestal outside.   They somehow found me and offered to 3D print one for my model for a mere $300.  Mind you, that's a for a 2 inch tall figure from a job that they were paid to scan by the US Navy, and machine printed.  I wouldn't get a file to print my own, just a plastic figure I would no doubt have to alter by hand to fit the model.  I declined.

Dscf0017.thumb.jpg.2e8ac4d480201ade7425dbf8b855913c.jpg  3d_scan.jpg.5debf4bb2e8b897babac53713751b419.jpg
I haven't given much thought to the figurehead, until I got my own 3D resin printer.  Now years later, I contacted these fellas about getting an STL file, but they hemmed and hawed about not owning the copyright to sell the file, and not knowing who did.  I figured the Naval Academy contracted them to scan it, so they must own it if these guys say they don't.  Again, I'm in no hurry on this, so I didn't dig any deeper.

I check now and then to see if the file will pop up on Thingiverse or somewhere for free, just-in-case, but instead found a nice scan of a bust of Alexander the Great from some museum in Europe.

The more I compared this with the Navy's figurehead, the more I wondered why theirs looked like the actor Mike Pollard.

mac20220320a.jpg.bbe526c4b89623a30410de52143a9552.jpg  michaeljpollard.png.6a7383e4f7913cb454ee7360b3682bc7.png

It's my opinion that the "original" figurehead was "restored" after the fight with United States and probably a few times more after that by some Yank carpenter with a low opinion of British wood carving, winding up looking like it does.  Further, it's alleged the figurehead was mounted on the new frigate built to replace the captured ship, though I've never been able to find anything but a fiddle-head in any image or document.
I suppose the original figurehead was much nicer, and respectful of the subject than what we see in Annapolis today, so I'm going with the bust I found online for my model of the frigate.
20220526_235802.jpg.2d95a65f670c8fbb030d4415bce62113.jpg  20220526_235840.jpg.ca94b5e1155bb662aa6024e26e4fd295.jpg

To test this plan, I altered the 3D file to scale it to size, remove it's pedestal, and make the wedge that fits into the notch on the head knee of the ship.  The print didn't turn out so good, but it served it's purpose.  Once I manage to make the trail-boards, scroll-work, and other details it has to inter-link with, I'll print a better quality version.
This is to be a working, sailing, model, and with all that handling, somethings like this is bound to be damaged or lost at some point.  The great thing about 3D printing some parts is I can easily replace it if damaged or lost for nearly free - unlike a one-time print for $300, and would have to make a mold from to have any chance at a replacement.

Edited by JerryTodd

Nice workaround, Jerry and it looks great in place.   And good on having the STL just in case.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 months later...

I'm still trying to figure Blender out enough to make viny ornaments for the bow of Constellation and Macedonian, but when the frustration gets to be too much, I slip back into Anim8or and work on something my simple mind can handle...

This time it's a galley stove for Macedonian.  I found decent drawings online, that apparently originated here; and photos of a model from the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich to base my 3D model on.

Unlike Constellation, Macedonian will have her gundeck modeled with guns and other details, such as this stove.

I looking for source material to base a model on, it seems the same year Macedonian was launched (June 1810), a new stove by Lamb & Nicholson was being fitted into British warships, but I haven't been able to find any drawings or images of a L&N stove to model from.  Also, I assume the stove would have been requisitioned some time before the ship's launch, and would therefore more likely be a Brodie type.  If someone can show Macedonian  got an L&N stove and direct me to drawings of such a thing, I'll gladly model that.

stove00.thumb.png.6f90e8678481cec024332e84fb90749b.png  stove_nmm01.thumb.jpg.306ed938a12ea4a6386dd023579bd11f.jpg

So here's my progress after a couple of hours work.  All the details will go into the model, but nothing with be "functional," that is doors, lids, chain drive, etc won't open, be removable, or move.  It'll barely be visible peering through the gunports or main hatch, but at 1:36 scale, leaving off too many details would be just as noticeable, as I did consider just making a black brick shaped like a stove.

brodie_stove_3dmodel_20231111a.png.7df0c1c2adbd03a90b30636289951304.png

I suspect you're right about the stove being a Brodie or equivalent.  The supply chains back then for major items weren't very fast.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I'm only going for "implied" details on this model, and that's almost done.  I made the top of the chimney a separate part and will size it to be attached after the stoves and the forecastle's installed.

There's a brace for the spit-drive arm to make, and a couple of flanges on the feet, and it'll be pretty much done and ready to take a shot at printing.

brodie_stove_3dmodel_20231113a.png.70e0d81ce054e392669576769728b233.png

Before putting more details into the stove, I decided to print it and make sure everything would print....

mac20231114a.thumb.jpg.cc0425eefed7e6b50a2941a57f3198a5.jpg  mac20231114c.thumb.jpg.21013844ca30d0cd0e9e002a60a3e021.jpg

A lot of the details were too fine; the grab-rail, handles, rotisserie sprockets and chain, etc.  The charlie-noble, which is a separate part, fit perfectly though :)

I went back to the model an beefed up the details; thickened the rail and handles, thickened bots and straps, rotisserie  parts, etc, and for kicks, added an iron texture to make the screen shot look good, though it has nothing to do with printing it.

brodie_stove_3dmodel_20231114a.png.633804b113f625c27b72654089d3e217.png

The whole thing seemed a little small to me, and remembering I have a copy of The Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War 1600-1815 by Brian Lavery, which has a great chart of stove dimensions for various gun-rates of ships on page 198 (2006 edition).

On that chart, for a 38 gun ship; the stove's body width should be 56 (48) inches; the length 57 (54) inches, and the height to the top of the flat sides is 48 (37) inches.  The height to the top of the pyramid duct is 64 inches.  The height of the chimney isn't given for ships of less than 80 guns.

(The numbers in parens are the measurements given in the MSW drawing attached a couple of posts earlier.)

On another note; the book mentions Lamb & Nicholson stoves, but shows no image, diagram, or description of one.

Here's a portion of the "Inner Works" of another Lively class frigate, the Bacchate, launched about a year before Macedonian, with the stove outlined in red.

stove_bacchante.png.10e74f8e8cf4c50d7e5de06d14fc6f7b.png

The MSW dimensions are a little smaller than the dimensions given by Lavery for a 38, mostly in height.  Before printing it again, I'm going to adjust the model and check the height of the chimney on the Macedonian model itself.

I adjusting the 3D model to Lavery's chart and printed it.  It looks more in scale with the hull now, and the details certainly printed better than the first try.

The grills pulled a bit during printing where they didn't do that on the previous print, because of how it was oriented in the printer.  Some of the details are still a little frail, but they're all there and serviceable.

brodie_stove_3dmodel_20231115a.png.acc47d7a823c171a1e9c300ecbd3fe70.png  mac20231115.png.5fef42d2369ed192d8f0460dbe27193a.png

I posted the STL file on Thingiverse though I can't say how well it'll resize to smaller scales.

Here it is with a coat of paint, and with Constellation's crew check the fit.

20231116_173720.jpg.35804a45b18b21a5785a1f84104b642e.jpg  20231116_173403.jpg.104121645b3809055c08d12c14bac278.jpg

Edited by JerryTodd
fixed link

• 2 months later...

I've decided rather than print things to stick onto Macedonian's stern, like filigree carvings, moldings, and such; I'm going to 3D print the transom and quarter galleries all together; windows, ornaments, moldings, etc.

Obviously this won't be printed in one piece, but will be divided into bite-sized portions that will each fit in the printer, and get bonded together on the hull.

You folks that think 3D modeling/printing is "cheating," are advised to turn away, you may find what follows to be disturbing.  ;)

I started this only intending to make quarter galleries, and parts to apply to the stern, but as anyone following my models knows, I often steer a course that would break a snakes back.

quarter_gallery20231207a.png.278bf78fdf56478ffde0d0b28f655fbd.png Basic beginnings.  This actually got printed to check against the hull and found to be off-scale.

quarter_gallery202401230a.thumb.png.dc2ecb64904bed1e9365da6042885aa8.pngRe-scaled, and resized, I started working out the moldings.

quarter_gallery20240202a.thumb.png.4122e077c44c27a4a532a225c9f5cf5c.pngTrying to reconcile the quarter gallery to the stern convinced me to make it all one model.  There's still a long way to go.

On 2/2/2024 at 4:55 PM, JerryTodd said:

You folks that think 3D modeling/printing is "cheating," are advised to turn away, you may find what follows to be disturbing.  ;)

Cheating not so much, as those of us working with such softwares and printing, we know it takes time and rework before it is a good part to be printed.
And even after printing, we catch errors.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Here's the most recent photos of the model.  She's at the rear of the column when it comes to getting worked on, with two models ahead of her.

mac20231022a.thumb.jpg.72135b8da4540fb8231e06d29fb9b386.jpgOct 22 2023  mac20240104a.jpg.50f7246a892314f1b27ba81c4f10fafc.jpgJan 4 2024

mac20240206a.thumb.jpg.2d2993c4ba6d24393c0f25eabb008d26.jpg Feb 6 2024 , I removed the quarter galleries in prep for the 3D printed ones I'm working on.

Edited by JerryTodd

Still fiddling with getting the transom to line up with that quarter galleries.  I stamped the image of the transom on the 3D slab and I'm just not liking the way it's going.

I'm going to measure the model and build from station 32 aft as accurate to the physical hull as I can.  The curved baseline of the transom, and the two levels of the counter under that (not visible in the images) are built and unchangeable, everything else is flexible, even the width, to a point.

quarter_gallery20240203b.thumb.png.2731ebb2f911a1e29b7c7029543b071f.png quarter_gallery20240208a.thumb.png.fbf48b5a37dc090e73ca3209166d13df.png