Young America by EdT - FINISHED - extreme clipper 1853

These are great clips, Sailor.  thanks for posting.

Ed

Ed looking at you photographs, give me pause, And you are only showing the lines! to think that sails had to be set amongst all that boggles my mind.

beautiful work as usual.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Ed,

I'm always excited when I look at your report.
This is model building at the highest level.
Your model exudes a fascination that is unique and fantastic.
Thanks also for the fact that you report so much about the detailed work. I have been able to learn from this and can also learn a lot in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, erik - for your comments and for posting the Sorlandet clip.

Edited by EdT

Young America - extreme clipper 1853
Part 322 – Running Rigging Home Stretch

After almost 6 years living and breathing Young America, I can finally see the end in sight.  Another day or two should see the last lines run and, thankfully, the last rope coils hung.  From there it is just a matter of tidying up. 

Rigging the yard braces has been interesting and enjoyable work.  The first picture shows the bracing of the lower three yards on the foremast completed.

1988916060_YA32201.jpg.533a9a37f79fa45d480ba2268eee6953.jpg

Braces for the double topsail sails and the fore course were added once there was no further need to get my hands in the space over the cabin – at least that is what I thought.  Braces were installed working from top to bottom to keep the lower deck area open – the opposite sequence to all other yard rigging.  The falls for these braces run through lead blocks on the main rail amidships as shown in the next picture. 

1038192899_YA32202.jpg.a4dda53300dc3c7dff067472b2d31816.jpg 

The lines are then belayed on the main rail.  This opening in the main rail, that replaced the original small entryway, was probably added a year or so after launch when the double topsails were adopted.  The entryway was moved aft.

Aft of the mainmast things begin to get more interesting.  The next picture may be a clue.

1682987328_YA32203.jpg.dfa720d5fce19147da2239eeebab6e5e.jpg 

Upper main braces run aft to lead blocks on the mizzen, while all the mizzen braces run forward to the mainmast before descending to the deck.  This is a bit of an access nightmare.  The next picture shows the area behind the main masthead where the mizzen topsail braces converge, the uppers to pendants shackled to eyebolts in the cap, the lowers to eyebolts and blocks under the top.

926164723_YA32204.jpg.50117b8bd7e9c4d235f15a3a15f48900.jpg 

Unfortunately I had neglected to install the shackled eyebolts in the cap, so the cap and band had to be drilled and the shackled eyebolts inserted between all this rigging.  I hate to admit this.

The main upper and lower topsail braces presented an interesting problem that took me about a week to resolve.  These and the main braces run aft to blocks on the boomkin and thence to the poop deck.  This is pretty much standard clipper practice, and quite evident in the two YA photos.  These lines each consist of a yard pendant, a running part that runs from the throat of the mizzen topmast stay through the pendant block, the running end of this is seized to a single block.  The falls run through this block to lead blocks on the boomkin.  This arrangement is fairly straightforward, except that there is major interference between these lines and the lower mizzen braces that run forward from their yardarms to the main mast.  These would also interfere with the mizzen lower sail when set – a lesser problem.  Various arrangements were tested.  I finally settled on the solution Underhill describes in his book, which involves moving the mizzen lower braces inboard on the yard,  allowing the main topsail braces to run clear outboard of these. The relocated crojack braces may be seen in the next photo.

1123650236_YA32205.jpg.e8ca902144734f6e7b1ca488f9c66329.jpg

The main topsail yards are in the upper right corner but the lines are hard to follow in this picture.  The next picture may help.

1726609251_YA32206.jpg.43b395ab82cba886f034b2925592b410.jpg 

The arrows U and L point to the blocks at the end of the brace running parts for the upper and lower yards respectively.  The arrow at the yard points to the relocated crojack brace block.  The eye for this has to be on top of the yard so the block will be over the jackstay where it will not interfere with the sail.  The arrow at the lower left points to the standing end of the lower brace fall where it is seized to #4 chainplate.  The upper fall is seized to chainplate #1 to the right.  The next picture shows the lead blocks for the two braces at the boomkin and their belaying cleats on deck.  The fall of the main brace will run through a third block at the outer end of the boomkin.

1966052291_YA32207.jpg.31e537c423b9f56e0c2c59bff56978b2.jpg 

The next picture shows the falls running to the boomkin blocks on the port side. 

892184729_YA32208.jpg.e0f95d31a0068aa34a3262681faa1d9d.jpg 

This solution is consistent with the photos of the ship and has some documentary support, so I am quite comfortable with it.  It leaves the issue of interference with a lower mizzen sail, but I suspect that could be tolerated or circumvented when that sail was used.

The last picture shows the cutter slung inboard on the davits, finally, after 3 years in a box. 

101911599_YA32209.jpg.9a55506400d77c51ba73091a45b89b7e.jpg

The picture shows the next, and perhaps the last remaining rigging riddle: what to do with the crojack, sheets, tacks and lazy tacks.  In the picture the latter two are belayed under the boat, awaiting a more acceptable solution for these idled lines.  Next time for that – and for the main yard braces that are still left off for access.  Then tidying up.

Ed

yet another build that i have followed from the start coming to the end, she looks fantastic

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Geez, Ed, has it really been six years? Is it just me or does time seem to speed up as you get older!?

It's been a wonderful log, full of innovative techniques and building excellence. Many of us have dreamed of taking on a clipper ship but few have the talent, skill and patience required for such a complex project. Bravo!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I. too, was surprised at the fact six years have passed by since you began, Ed. Amazing and spectacular work!

As a footnote, mizen yard braces were taken inboard on the yard to clear other lines on 18th century ship-rigged vessels, so this was well established practice.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

What a wonderful journey you have taken us on Ed; I have enjoyed every step of your progress, learning quite a lot as I tagged along.  Your willingness to share your experiences and techniques is much appreciated.

YA has turned out as another exemplar of what can be achieved in a ship model, especially at the scale of 1:72. 

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks everyone.  Its been great having your comments and support throughout the project and for earlier work as well.  Its one of the best parts of this community.

Time flies when you are having fun, Greg, but you are right. It goes fast.

Druxey, thanks for the input on mizzen braces.  Its really so obvious a solution, but like so many good solutions, it needs documentation for authenticity.  I never gave this issue a thought until actually running the lines,  Then panic, then Underhill to the rescue.  May be there in other sources, but haven't found it yet.

Ed

Two earlier sources are Steel, Rigging and Seamanship, 1794, Volume I, p. 207 ("Brace-pendents are stopt to the yard four feet within the cleats at the yard-arm") and Lever, A Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor, 1808, 1853, p.37, figure 242 ("As the Braces lead across (see page 49) the Bight of the Pendent close to the Block, is seized down to the Yard at (d), by which means they lead much clearer. Instead of the Pendent, some have an iron Strap around the Yard with a Block at (g).")

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Wonderful work Ed...Interesting solution to the lower mizzen braces.  I discovered a while ago that I too will be facing this dilemma with my Great Republic...even more so, because I have no space to fudge, since I have sails that will definitely be in the way of many braces.  Ingenious disguising will have to prevail.  I have fully enjoyed your log and have gleaned much.

Not sure you caught this, but it appears the aft backstay may have slipped out of its place on the main mast.  The image you posted of the main mast braces definitely shows the aft port backstay out of its station.

Thanks for the wonderful way you presented this build.....Clippers being my love...you kept me enthralled.

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Thanks, Druxey.  I do not have that Steel reference and did not think to look in Lever, but there it is.  This is how we learn.

Rob, you will have to do some research to find a solution to the topsail brace/sail interference.  I will be interested in the solution.  Apparently crojack sails were not used until the 1840's and then only in certain conditions - like long spells with the wind directly aft.  Good luck.

Ed

4 hours ago, EdT said:

Rob, you will have to do some research to find a solution to the topsail brace/sail interference.  I will be interested in the solution.  Apparently crojack sails were not used until the 1840's and then only in certain conditions - like long spells with the wind directly aft.  Good luck.

Right.  This is my first full set of sails implemented,...until now, Running the braces never extended me this problem.  Your solution for the crojack yard braces works, even thought the fulcrum angle is not overly taxed.  These clippers (GR, YA) were build in the same year and it can be safely assumed the solution was universal.  Paintings do not replicate this epiphanous revelation.  2 dimensional images can easily mask 3 dimensional issues. 

I will surely make known my resolution for the brace issue...when I can return to the shipyard in full health.

Thanks for the fine comments and observations.

Rob 

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Druxey, I noticed this morning that on my Victory model I located the crojack brace pendants well in from the yardarm - likely based on the rigging notes in Longridge.  How soon we forget things.  Completely forgotten and the early sources completely overlooked in solving the YA dilemma.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Young America - extreme clipper 1853
Part 323 – Wrapping Up

Finally, 99.999% means complete.  Since the last post it has been a lot of little chores: snipping rope ends, the last few rope coils, touching up with paint, waxing standing rigging lines, clean up, etc.  Some of the "major" chores are described below.

The first picture shows the final disposition of the crojack sheets and tacks.  These were simply allowed to hang free from the clue garnet blocks with their full lengths coiled on deck.  They were tied down to one of the beams under the pile of rope coils to keep them vertical and straight..

153180898_YA32301.jpg.684b993a892b90d6d1959bbdae94c51a.jpg

The main braces could finally be run, since access was no longer needed to the deck area between the main and mizzen masts.  The next picture shows the starboard brace pendant shackled to the outer boomkin eye.

1159807444_YA32302.jpg.eb57f9432daebac710f7c83a54dd80ac.jpg

The fall of the brace runs from the yard pendant through the lead block on the rail in the center of the picture, then to a deck cleat.  The other blocks on the boomkin are the upper and lower main topsail braces.  Two missing eyebolts still need to be fitted on the rail. The picture also shows the completion of another chore left over from the volume II work, fitting chains to support the boomkins.  The next picture shows both of these.

810333574_YA32303.jpg.071612d41aed2d31a39bf4a27ddcf689.jpg

The next picture shows the starboard swinging boom, the lower studding sail boom,  being lashed to the fore channel brackets. 

465841593_YA32304.jpg.402bb147cb5214f902c0ec13944b8521.jpg 

The alternative would be to store these on the skid beams over the cabin, but this seemed more appropriate, since in port these were often used to moor ships' boats.

The next picture shows the model with the dust case removed in the relatively cleaned-up workshop.

1001544209_YA32305.jpg.50a18a388fc950609248cbf701656b25.jpg

Finally, launch.

1106728056_YA32307.thumb.jpg.b102993a007faa90a0f37360b836853e.jpg

Please excuse the amateur artwork.  Couldn't resist.

Ed

Wonderful....just wonderful Ed

What a relief to finally be complete.

She is magnificent to say the least.  so much to glean from.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Congratulations on the completion of this wonderful model.  This has been a totally enjoyable 6 year journey, and quite an educational experience for me.  Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Hi Ed,

I could have hit the like-button, but I wanted tot say that I enjoyed all your posts (even the ones were you said you were only showing repetitive work :)). The final result is absolutely fabulous.

And although the artwork is perhaps a bit amateurish, the point of view of the picture really shows the impressive height of the ship. Turn it into a black-white pic, and photoshop New York harbor in the background, and nobody can tell this is a model.

Jan

Thank you Ed for allowing us to come on this journey with you.  This is a fantastic example of what is possible with our art/craft and this build log is priceless.

What else can be said?  Thanks for the journey.

Maury

Absolutely fantastic Ed.

Thank you for the masterclass in ship modelling. Like others, I can't believe it has been 6 years but it has never been onerous; indeed it has been a pleasure watching it all come together. Your expertise in all aspects of ship modelling has been a joy to follow. 

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.