EdT

Young America by EdT - FINISHED - extreme clipper 1853

Congratulations Ed !!

It was an almost live course in ship modeling. I learned a lot.

Thanks.

Greetings.

Mauricio

Congratulations to your masterly built clipper Ed,

Its been such a pleasure to watch this build-log project from begin on, wunderbar indeed !

Nils

Congratulations on the end of the work! Beautiful and impressive work, of a truly high quality.

Wishing you inspiration in the future works.
My best regards, Alexander.

Good evening Ed Just finished reviewing the last few bits of work. Thank you for an amazing journey, I have not only learned a great deal about the YA but also about your approach to solving some of the challenges that this model presented. Congratulations on the completion of a Masterpiece of Model Shipbuilding !

Michael

Hi Ed,

It was my distinct honor and pleasure to meet you when your incredible twin hulls of the Young America were on display at Mystic, CT in the Fall of 2016. It was hard to keep my jaw from hitting the floor, even back then when masting and rigging was just beginning. What you have created is a Clipper Ship in Miniature. I'm fully convinced, were it possible to enlarge this artisan craftsman, once the balance of strakes had been laid on to make her 'sea worthy' your miniature vessel would look and perform identically to her original! To say well done just doesn't do justice to what you have accomplished.

FYI: I love your artist impression. No need to apologize to us mere mortals!

Thank you for these recent comments - Nils, Kortes, Svein Erik, Micheal and Clipperfan.  Seems like a while since I have been in touch on the forum since the model was completed in May.  Spent quite a bit of time on the third volume this summer and I believe it is soon to be out.  For those of you who got the Seawatch ad insert in the last NRG  journal issue, the book is featured.  In addition to the features listed in the ad there are also 13 printed drawings in 1:96 and 1:72 scale.  These were not mentioned in the ad.

Cheers all,

Ed

Looking forward to the publication. Ed. If it weren't for the rigging it would be on my build list one day ; -)

We all wait with baited breath for news of your next project (assuming it is ship-related)

I salute you for not only your incredible workmanship but also your endurance and never losing site of the end point as can easily happen. What a gift you have!

Joe

Edited by Thistle17

I am anxiously awaiting my copy to arrive Ed;  I am really looking to this as a Christmas treat but may have to wait for the new year with the slow shipping.

Whatever you choose I am sure it will be a masterpiece :)  

cheers

Pat

I too have been anxiously waiting to get a copy of volume II...and was greatly pleased to find a copy for sale on Ebay…….at a fantastic price!  YIPPY!

Now patiently waiting on a copy of volume III to find its way to me...…...

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Thank you, everyone, for all these comments.  I have been less active on the forum for awhile, but I still check for notifications and p-messages every day.  I am happy to say that YA Volume 3 has shipped - I received my copies before the holidays.  Please be aware that there was a problem in assembling the book package - with the CD that was included with the book.  Seawatch is sending the correct replacement CDs for all books shipped and correcting this for future shipments.  If you received a book you should be hearing from them.  So far, the response to the book has been very good.  My thanks and apologies to all the early purchasers.

As usual. I will be monitoring the forum topics in the Book Review Section here on the forum - for comments, questions etc.  Any necessary corrections will also be placed on those topics - for both Naiad and Young America books.

Thanks again for all your support over the past several years.

Ed

I had received my copy of volume 3 before the holidays. Now that I have the correct CD sent from the publisher, I’d like to say some things about the whole package. Even after a quick look at the content included in the book, CD, and the 13 drawings, I can easily say that it’s extensive, wow!

What a great resource Ed has put together. It would have been a shame to not have the correct CD, which includes several additional materials. The build log PDFs and rigging checklist are just some of the cherries on top.

It’s worth purchasing even if just to find out how Ed contained the massive amount of rigging content into this single volume. It is well done. 
Steve

Easily Made Realistic Bolts for Fittings

Tom M

Winchester MA

Hi:  Am a new participant, and EdT ‘s Young America is the first topic I read. It is beautiful!!

In the July 1, 2018 timeframe, the discussion related to the topmast fids being fitted with shackles.  Below is an idea that might have been an alternative solution to making the shackles in situ, as so nicely shown by EdT

Demonstrated below is a nice method to create bolts for various model ship fittings.  I came up with the idea while working on the 1/8 inch scale Smuggler, the 1877 Gloucester schooner:

1.     Snip some black plastic fibers from a car snow brush, or similar implement.

2.     Bring one end of a fiber near to, but not touching, a hot soldering iron tip.

475816094_Makingboltend.thumb.JPG.3a0fff43a298a68a43ad24917e8888f9.JPG

3.     With just the right nearness for just a second or less, the end flares out. One end of the bolt is done.

4.     After insertion into position on the fitting, trim the other end of the bolt to a just a couple of millimeters protruding , and again bring the soldering iron close. With only a bit of practice, the result is realistic bolt, as in the examples below.  If it doesn’t look right in place, it is easily snipped off and redone.

5.     EdT’s fid could have been installed, and shackles bolted in place with this technique.

Fitting 1 Fitting 2Fitting 3

TJM 21 Jan 2010

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by mulsatwinchester
Duplicate photos.

Might the technique also work with black monofilament line that many of us use as a result of Ed's comments?  (I don't have a car snow brush).

Maury

Ed 

I just finished going through your Young America log and found the work and log to be truly amazing and I can't thank you enough for your contributions to the MSW. There is so much information in the log that Ive made a excel spreadsheet to use as an index to help me find any particular item I need to review and am using it now to review your frame making tutorial, but have one question What type of board do you use to pin the frame pieces too? I tried MDF with no results.

Again thank you for all you do.

Will

Thank you, Will.  I appreciate your comments.  I have been a long-time used of a product called Homasote.  It is a dense compressed paper product sold mainly for soundproofing.  It initially found use for hobbyists as model railroad track base.  It holds pins well - and track spikes.  I would search online for it.  Lowes and/or Home Depot have carried it recently, but a general search may yield other sources.  I do not know of a good substitute and have relied on it for years.  Let me know what you find.

Ed

Thank you Ed for the quick response, I checked online and found 1/2" X 2' X 4' at Menards for $11.96 and they will ship to my home in Queen Creek. Home Depot & Lowes carry a sound barrier foam board but they are not the same as Homasote. Again thanks now I'll continue with my TurboCad database of the schooner Lettie G. Howard from the HAER drawings. I'll use your approach to test my lofting and your assembly methods before I get too far down the road.

Will

Guest clipper randy

thanks much Ed  ' I too have enjoyed your build !! 

Hi Ed,

I am finishing up Chapter 6 and have the long ribands ready for the beginning of chapter 7. My question is regarding when to fair the exterior hull. While you do some external fairing around this time in the blog (and I'll admit, having the opportunity of add some strength to the keel-half frame interface while the hull is inverted is tempting), in the book you recommend waiting. Given the length of the lever arm of the unattached riband, I am not inclined to fair the external aspect of the frames as the book recommends. I remember reading when you do recommend fairing the external aspect of the frames but can't find it now. When do you recommend sanding the external surfaces of the frames?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Randy