Young America by EdT - FINISHED - extreme clipper 1853

Ed, I have one of those saws and now I know where to use it.  Now, about that long thin file...please describe what it's called and where to get one.

Maury

Again, thanks for all the comments and "likes".

Here is a link to the Crown veneer saw on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Crown-England-Veneer-Genuine-Rosewood/dp/B00EW69F6S

Its a nice little tool that I have not used much, but it seemed just right for this job.

The file in the picture is also very useful.  It is a type used to sharpen Japanese style saws.  It has  very sharp edges.

Here is a link for these.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/search.aspx?find=feather+files

I'm afraid I am a bit of an incurable tool collector.

Ed

Edited by EdT

Nice files. My memory is shorting out as a result

I forget the number correlation for coarseness.

David B

I just bought one.  They said the #3 is finer than the #5.  (I think normal file grades go finer as the number increases, but I asked before I bought)

Maury

Hi Ed,

It´s always a pleasure to see your work. Since Naiad posts and now with the Young Americas I've been learning a lot. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Mauricio

Young America - extreme clipper 1853
Part 59 – Lower deck beams

With a marathon effort all of the monofilament bolts for the iron strapping were installed into the outside of the hull frames – except for frames that will be cut out for the view ports and for areas that will be planked over.  The lower hull was then sanded to remove all traces of the CA glue used on the bolts.

To relieve some of the tedium of bolting, the lower deck beams were fabricated.  I used the method developed for the Naiad beams – including the recycled Naiad template-clamp shown in the next picture.

post-570-0-64454900-1399048231_thumb.jpg

In the picture a piece of 17” (~0.236”) thick stock is being clamped.  All of the decks on YA were rounded up 6” at midship – a simplification vs.18thC RN.  A template was lofted with this curvature and pasted to the clamp.  The clamp faces were then shaped to the curve using a disk sander.  A more elaborate process was used on Naiad.  When clamped in place as shown, a flush trim router bit with a bearing was used against the template to form the curve on the top of the beam.  The router leaves a perfectly finished surface.  The piece to the right has had a beam sawed off (described below) after rounding.  It will soon be clamped and a new top surface routed.

The next step after routing is shown below.

post-570-0-34588900-1399048232_thumb.jpg

The depth of the beam is drawn on the routed blank with a compass that has its point extended to ride on the side of the piece.  The beam is then parted off near that line on the scroll saw.  A new top surface is then routed on the remaining stock.  Finally the cut off beam is passed – upside down – through the thickness sander to yield the final depth of 14” (~0.194”).  The next picture shows the set of lower deck beams, ready to be cut to length and fit into place.

post-570-0-95837400-1399048232_thumb.jpg

The process for making rounded-up beams was covered in detail in Naiad, Volume II, including alternate methods that can be used in the absence of a router table.  Naiad’s beams were more complicated in that they were made in two pieces with tabled scarph joints.  These were simpler.

Setting was also simpler.  YA’s beams were all centered on every other frame joint line.  The next picture shows some of the forward beams fitted and pinned in place. 

post-570-0-86710600-1399048233_thumb.jpg

These beams were pretty massive – 17” wide and 14” deep.  There was nothing skimpy about the construction of these ships.  The first few beams fore and aft were smaller – 15” wide.  The next picture shows the difference in width on the aft three beams.

post-570-0-50498000-1399048234_thumb.jpg

Hard pine was used for Young America’s deck beams and many other structural components.  Also known as longleaf pine, the trees grow mainly in the southeastern United States.  The wood weighs about the same as white (or English) oak and has about 90% of its strength.  As mentioned before, I am using Castelo to simulate this species.

The next picture shows the beams from the main hatch aft.  The larger spacings are to clear the hatch, the water tanks and the masts.  Stout headers (aka partners/carlings) and half beams will be installed in these spaces.

post-570-0-16437900-1399048235_thumb.jpg

The last picture shows the current state with several central beams still to be fit.

post-570-0-77533000-1399048235_thumb.jpg

When all the beams are sized and pinned in place, centerlines will be scribed on each.  Carling locations can then be marked.  After cutting scores for the carlings, pillars and knees will need to be made before any beams can be installed.

Ed

Hi, Ed,

do you ever sleep???

The work you are showing is so fantastic and so encouraging. I have ripped off the planking on my schooner on the work bench already three times since I am following your post.

Please, keep it coming. I have already copied together sort of a script of your work. It is keeping me going.,

Edited by PeterK

Greetings from Hamburg and the river Elbe

Peter

building: 3-masted schooner HEINRICH from 1907 (on hold)

on the drawing board: 3-masted top-sail schooner M.A.James

As I've said before Ed....FANTASTIC! WORKMANSHIP.

I don't recall.....was the YA cargo or was she also a passenger carrier...as were some of the MCKay creations?

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Thanks, everyone,  Primarily cargo - California trade, Rob.

Ed

That's right.....Ed..thanks for the response.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Part 60 – Knees

Historical note:  It is doubtful that knees were made for Young America at the Webb shipyard.  There was enough building activity at the New York yards to generate profitable local business opportunities in the making of various components and selling them prefabricated to the shipbuilders.  Knees were one such commodity, offered for sale in oak, hard pine, hackmatack, etc. - from $2 to $10 each, or $1.50 per inch of thickness for large sizes – according to one supplier’s price sheet.  This dealer also sold floor timbers, futtocks, rough timber and plank.  The pre-made knees, in a variety of angular shapes, were probably then trimmed to final size and shape at the yard. 

Most of the work in this post is analogous to the work of the ship timber supplier – making a large quantity of knees that will later be fit to specific locations in the lower deck framing.

Patterns for representative shapes for hanging, lodging and stanchion knees were lofted from the drawings. The shapes of the central hanging knees were also lofted, but shapes toward the ends merely estimated.  The shapes were then arranged on roughly 2” x 4” pattern sheets.  These were then pasted to a 1” thick slab of wood – pear for the oak hanging knees and Castello for the hard pine lodging and stanchion knees. The hanging knee pattern is shown below.

post-570-0-65806600-1399216368_thumb.jpg

Extra stock was left on the back of the vertical hanging knee arms to allow for fitting and beveling to the hull shape. The shapes were then cut out on the scroll saw as shown below. 

post-570-0-69715400-1399216369_thumb.jpg

The above picture shows lodging knees being cut out. 

The next picture shows a hanging knee shape being checked for general fit on the bilge ceiling near midship.

post-570-0-40843100-1399216370_thumb.jpg

Next the straight edges of the knees were cleaned up on the disk sander and then ripped off to thickness on the circular saw – shown below.

post-570-0-00831500-1399216371_thumb.jpg

This takes two passes on the Preac saw due to its limited cutting height.  Below is a picture of some 12” thick lodging knees and some of the smaller 6” thick knees for the hold stanchions (pillars).

post-570-0-88920900-1399216371_thumb.jpg

Hopefully, these generic shapes will be sufficient to make the final knees.  Some, especially the hanging beams near the ends, will need considerable adjustment to fit.  The following picture illustrates the amount of modification needed on the hanging knees for the beam frame Y.

post-570-0-40034000-1399216372_thumb.jpg

The generic starting point shape is at the top with the final hanging knees below it.  Lodging knees are a better fit to start. 

The last picture shows the installation of beam Y near the bow.  These first two beams have no carlings, so I could proceed with them to test the installation process.  This shows all of the knee types. 

post-570-0-17724600-1399216373_thumb.jpg

The lodging knees are butted together – one of a number of configurations used.  There will be a ledge set into these where they butt (frame line Z) to span the breadth.  Note that the stanchion is set off the centerline.  The stanchion above will be set to the other side.  This allowed the stanchions to be through bolted vertically to resist tension as well as compressive forces between the deck beams.  The hold stanchions were secured for tension with the knees top and bottom.

This first beam was somewhat difficult to fit.  Finger space is limited and the angles on the hanging knee surfaces are acute and required many test fittings.  I am still working on the sequence, but so far it is 1) install the beam and bolt into clamps, 2) install dummy bolts in the knees, 3) install hanging knees, 4) install lodgers, 5) fit and install the post with the upper knees glued to it, 6) install lower post knees, 7) bolt stanchion through beam, 8) install dummy bolts in outside of frames, 9) bolt knees to the beam - a lot of steps.  Install means glue.

I see a lot of work ahead before the lower deck framing.

Ed

Edited by EdT

You are a braver man than I ED, having your fingers so close to that blade! I wouldn't even attempt it!

Mass production of those knees is interesting and thanks for the history around it.

Ben

Ben, it looks scarier than it is.  I use push sticks for a lot of this close work and were it not for the limited blade height on the Preac, a nice little specialty sled could be made to handle these - the time savings would easily cover it.  However, I believe the key factor is your concentration - whatever aids are used - or whatever size the saw - or router, or whatever.  When the switch goes on there should be only one thing in mind - finger proximity to the blade.  When you feel that focus slipping from fatigue or lack of concentration, do something else.  I never work at night.

These knees could also be easily sliced off with a hand saw.

Ed

Yes, druxey, there are quite a few - avg. 8 per beam on the lower deck counting the four for each pillar, 34 beams, minus a few at the view ports.  Thats around 200 knees for the lower deck.  Definately justifies a production process.  Wish their were a process for the ten or so bolts in each.

Ed

Buff!

"YA060 04.jpg" scared me a lot! That´s why I have such a long nails (pretty much like you). Beautyful work as always Ed.

One question, how many DPI´s has the blade to cut such a thick piece of wood? and on a slow or high speed?

Best wishes.

daniel

It so nice for people to be able to see and appreciate how our American clippers were terrifically built inside. And out! I love to think about how some got pushed to the limit like true racing machines. I have a copy book yet to be printed with part of a passenger's letter in it from aboard the Lightning. If I remember it says the deadeyes were underwater.

Bruce

Thanks, everyone.

Daniel,the scroll saw blade has 12.5 tpi. I was running it a fairly high speed but it didn't seem to matter much. I have cut thicker pieces, up to 1 1/2" at least. It is a good quality DeWalt saw.

Bruce, I had not appreciated just how stout everything was, until starting to frame this lower deck. Even making the drawings did not bring this home fully. Those 17" wide by 14" deep deck beams rival those on a 74. Carlings 10" wide x 7", ledges 9" x 7". Pillars on every beam were tie-bolted through. Wait utill we get to those 15" x 15" waterways. There is no question that these ships were built to be driven. McKay's ships were even beefier. I think the submerged channels were not untypical. The frequency of these ships losing their upper masting is further testimony. Iron men/wooden ships - to say nothing of courageous passengers.

Ed

Edited by EdT

I just finished reading a book about coming to California via clipper in *49*.......Amazing...just amazing.  To be a passenger on a clipper was nearly as stressful as a crew member...and at times more so.  Poor food.....continual dampness.....uncontrolable passengers/crew......disease.....Riiiight.

Clippers like the Games Baines...that was built expressly for passenger travel..was far more luxurious travel then most others for sure.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

OOOOO ! Rob!   Another clipper book! Gotta get it.  Have you read Cruise of the Dashing Wave, Rounding Cape Horn in 1860  by Philip Hichborn? The Captain was no driver but the guys who's diary was found was a ships carpenter.

And Ed, That's the upper deadeyes! Heeling 45 to 50 degrees.  Excess of 18 Knots. I feel she may have gone faster with less drag from both channels and deadeyes though.

Bruce

Edited by von stetina

Part 61 – Lower deck framing

The first picture shows the first four beams of the lower deck installed.

post-570-0-30173900-1399647776_thumb.jpg

The beams, lodging knees, pillars and pillar knees are Castelo – representing hard pine.  The hanging knees are pear – representing oak.  Beams 2 and 3 have their bolts installed – down into the hanging knees, pillar knees and deck clamps. The off-center staggering of the pillars can be seen in this picture.  Wax finish has been applied to surfaces under the first three beams.  Two forward ledges are installed.  Beams 3 and 4 have been scored for carlings. 

The next pictures show the cutting of the scores.

post-570-0-99082000-1399647776_thumb.jpg

First, centerlines were marked on each beam and the carling locations marked out from those lines.  The depths of the scores were then marked with a compass.  In the above picture a cross-grain plunge-cut is being made in the beam.  In the next picture the score is being pared out after the three plunge-cuts.

post-570-0-50642500-1399647777_thumb.jpg

The depth is set by eye.  In the next picture a piece of carling stock is being used to check the fit.

post-570-0-16590600-1399647778_thumb.jpg

After the beams are set and glued into position, the hanging and lodging knees are fit.  Dummy bolts in these knees are then installed using black monofilament as shown below.

post-570-0-79701600-1399647778_thumb.jpg

A razor blade is being used to slice off the monofilament after gluing with CA.  The knees are then sanded smooth before installing. 

The next picture shows a pillar and its top knees being prefabricated.

post-570-0-33244100-1399647779_thumb.jpg

These knees also receive bolts as above.  The knees at the bottom are installed on the keelson after the pillar is set.  The next picture shows beams 2,3 and 4 installed and the next one (beam S) positioned.

post-570-0-94688900-1399647779_thumb.jpg

Note that the lodging knees are set slightly below the top face of the beams.  This allowed air circulation under the decking and the massive waterways that will cover the beam ends.  The tops of the ledges are also slightly higher than the tops of the knees – to match the beams so the decking will lie fair.  Two carlings have been installed.  Ledges will be installed between all these beams.  The staggering of the pillars is more evident in this picture.  Note that no hanging knees are installed at the frames - marked X on the port side.  Those will be removed for the view port on that side - later.

In the next picture pieces of bilge ceiling have been glued to the frames that will not be removed for the view port.

post-570-0-56740300-1399647780_thumb.jpg

After bolting, these will be trimmed off flush with the fore and aft faces of the frames.  These are needed to allow hanging knees to be installed under these beams.  The three frames between these beams will be removed later between the top of the lower futtock heads and the middle deck clamp..

Ed