Young America by EdT - FINISHED - extreme clipper 1853

Thanks, everyone.

E&T, the use of iron developed more slowly in America with its huge forest resources and its then small iron industry.  Long practiced and available woodworking skills probably prolonged the use of wood especially in the smaller towns in New England where many of these were built.  I do not know if there was a shift from wood to iron knees or if complete iron framing emerged to replace the wood structures.  I have seen no evidence of iron knees used on American wooden clipper hulls, but I have not specifically looked for it.  In the 1850's - when most of the American clippers were built - I believe it was all wood - except of course for the tons of iron bolts. 

Ed

What strikes me everytime I check your log Ed, is the cleanliness of your work. I can only imagine the time needed to accomplish this. Of course, the soft tone in the photographs might hide some, but still. Remarkable and something to strive for.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Hi Ed,

I just noticed the pattern of framing a deck here is different from the Naiad and other 18th C ships of war, in that there are fewer banks of carlings transversally, and therefore longer ledges. And there appears to be only one ledge between beams. I assume this is all because the clipper carried no heavy ordnance, and is narrower? how do the Young America and the Naiad compare in length and width?

Best wishes,

Mark

Again, thanks everyone for the comments and "likes."

Mark, thank you for the question.  It is an interesting one - as are most of those that compare Naiad with Young America.  There were so many factors influencing the differences in these ships - their mission, difference in time, design preferences - and even  attitude - between British and American builders, forest resource availability and of course the basic design parameters - length, width, rig, etc.

To answer your question, Young America was comparable in breadth to Naiad being only a few feet broader (43' vs 39').  However YA was almost 100' longer (243' vs 147') - so the L/D difference is striking.  It is easy to see why hogging was such a major issue in the clippers.

Naiad's model deck framing was based on Steel - number of carling tiers, sizes of members, etc.  I based Young America's framing on practices of the time and on Challenge - Webb's well documented clipper of similar size launched a year or so before YA.  In general - for YA - I applied the rule that ledges would be less than one third of maximum deck breadth - usually less.

I think deck loading on clippers could be quite high, even considering the ordnance weight on 18C RN ships.  Considering the breadth similarities, members on YA were much larger.  Here are some comparisons of YA's middle and lower decks vs. Naiad's upper (gun deck).

Naiad:  Beams:  13"wx11"deep.  Carlings: 7 1/2"w x 6 1/2" deep.  Ledges:  4" w x 3 1/2" deep.

Young America:  Beams  17w" x 14" deep.  Carlings: 10"w x 7" deep.  Ledges: 9"w x 7" deep.

These differences are pretty striking - especially beams and ledges.

Looking at ledge length at midship:  Naiad: 7 rows, avg 5' 5" long.  YA: 3 rows, avg ~12' long.

Deck thickness:  Naiad: 3".  YA: 3 1/2".

We could probably speculate endlessly on the reasons for these differences.  They are quite interesting to be sure.

Thanks for the question.  It gave me a chance to make a comparison I never seemed to find time for.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the very interesting comparisons. It does get one thinking: the Royal Navy tradition of a web of large (beam), medium (carling) and small (ledge) structural members is not the only way to frame a deck required to carry a heavy, fairly uniform load. Indeed, a system like the Young America with large (beam) alternating with almost-large (long ledges) might even make more sense. I had understood the Royal Navy idea was to get the large beams directly under the guns, but at least in the case of the Bellona, this was not uniformly accomplished. A series of large and medium beams like in the Young America could have been more effective structurally.

Also of interest is whether one of these compared to the other uses more timber, or requires more labor intensive cutting of joints, etc. And, perhaps the increasing scarcity of timber in England encouraged using up the smaller pieces in the many ledges.

If I could remember any of the structural engineering I learning many, many years ago in architecture, I would do some calculations to see just how efficient each of these systems really are in comparison to each other; but I don't remember with any confidence, and it will have to remain an interesting speculation.

And after all, we have no way of letting the 18th century shipwrights know that there could have been a more efficient system for framing their ships!

Best wishes,

Mark

Mark, if only we could remember everything we were taught, we would be truly dangerous.

Ed

Young America - extreme clipper 1853
Part 92 – Main Deck Framing 3

Framing of the main deck continues from forward and aft.  Additional operational features are also being installed.  In the first picture the topsail sheet bits  and two round openings for the anchor chain chutes  are installed.  The samson post is being glued in place toward the bow.

post-570-0-74650100-1414781085_thumb.jpg

This very large timber extends up above the forecastle deck.  It will support the lever arms for the anchor chain winch located on the main deck just below the forecastle break.  The levers were operated from the forecastle.

Working just one step behind the drafting sometimes causes problems.  The next picture shows the step for the main capstan, which I neglected to install when framing the middle deck.

post-570-0-47902000-1414781086_thumb.jpg

The decking between the two hatches and the middle bay of framing had to be removed and reworked to include support carlings and the square step itself.

The next picture shows the extent of the main deck framing at that time – a few days ago.

post-570-0-10737700-1414781087_thumb.jpg

The next picture is a different view.  The three rows of carling under the deck cabin can be clearly seen in this picture.  The cabin will extend some distance further aft than the beams installed here.

post-570-0-90969200-1414781087_thumb.jpg

The next picture shows some additional progress on the aft part of the main deck.

post-570-0-51141200-1414781088_thumb.jpg

The members that will support the capstan on the main deck have been installed including two large support carlings.  The design of these supports and the step is speculative.  It will soon be time to make the smaller forward water tank and install both iron tanks while there is still access.  The bilge suction pipes will also need to be installed soon.

The next picture was taken while I could still place a smaller camera on the middle deck.  The view is forward along the middle deck

post-570-0-05318600-1414781089_thumb.jpg

In the foreground is the main hatch and the bilge pipe openings.  The dark areas along the waterways are shadows of the deck beams. 

The last picture is one of those scary close-ups taken through one of the view ports.

post-570-0-83376600-1414781089_thumb.jpg

This was taken at F8 – the smallest aperture on the smaller camera - so the foreground is out of focus, but the detail of the knees on the middle deck framing can be clearly seen – also a scarph jint in the deck clamp.

Ed

Just ... wow !!!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Wow, those last few photos are excellent Ed and really show off the detail of your superb craftsmanship.

Fantastic!!!  Ed your patience astounds me.  I would have turned to a bottle after doing 20% of what you completed.  

David B

This is the build I come to for re-newed inspiration! If modeling is an art (I consider it a very high form of art), then you, sir Ed, are a true master. I'm thinking Rembrandt here.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

I am finding it difficult to come up with the right words to describe my admiration of your fine work Ed, not speechless but darn close. Those last two photographs show just how fine an Artist with wood you are.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks so much for all these comments and "likes" - and thanks, Andy, for your assistance with my vocabulary.  I had not heard that term before and wonder if it was in use in the 1850's - something else to check.  Those interior photos seem to be popular.  Maybe I'll try some at F36 for more depth of field.  Don't know about the light for that though. 

Thanks again,

Ed

Wow, Ed, just wow.  I showed the Admiral the last photo taken through the viewport and she said "look at those knees"... I guess that tour of Constitution Popeye2sea gave us really paid off!  Incredible work, sir. Looking forward to more updates!

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Ed,

Your camera work has been great in helping us see the details in the build.  This has been a fun ride watching her take shape  but  I do not look forward to seeing all that beautiful framing get planked over.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thank you both - and again the 34 "likes."  Not to worry, Allan.  There will be plenty of the ship left unplanked.  This is a good idea for more than one reason.  The planking on these ships was generally only about 6" wide - double the work.

Ed

I'l probably have finished my reduction ray gun about the time you're finished as well...........sailing this magnificent model will my my pleasure........

Wait......those access holes will need to be filled and balast added...first.

AMAZING!

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Young America - extreme clipper 1853
Part 93 – Main Deck Framing 4

The two large fresh water tanks needed to be permanently installed before the main deck framing could be completed.  The first photo shows these two tanks in place.

post-570-0-19675300-1415036596_thumb.jpg

The tanks were iron and rest on heavy wood bases in the hold over the keelson.  These bases were shown in earlier posts.  The tanks were made from cardstock glued on to wood blocks.   The picture also shows  tops of the lower sections of the bilge pump suction piping just forward of the tanks.   The next picture shows the run of these pipes down to the limber channel.

post-570-0-90005100-1415036596_thumb.jpg

The pipes are copper tube.  The upper sections between these pipes and the pumps on the main deck will be installed later.  The 4”x4” dunnage timbers on the base for the forward tank can be seen in this picture – taken before setting the tanks - just aft of the pipes.  The main mast step can be seen just forward of the pipes.  (This was shot at an aperture of F32 and very slow shutter – much better field depth vs. the pictures in last post.)

In the next picture the framing in the midship area is approaching completion.

post-570-0-46635400-1415036597_thumb.jpg

All of the full beams have been installed in this picture including their hanging knees and pillars.  In the picture the headers for the main hatch - with scores cut for the half beams - have been fit as well as the main mast partner carlings.  In the next picture the framing over the tanks has been completed and the last pillar under one of the half-beams is being test fit. 

post-570-0-21052100-1415036598_thumb.jpg

All of the pillars are pinned with copper wire bolts top and bottom.  The fitting of this last pillar finishes the deck beam setting.  The next picture shows the hull with the main deck framing at this stage.

post-570-0-05730800-1415036599_thumb.jpg

Next will come the lodging knees for all these beams and the ledges – but first a few housekeeping items needed to be taken care of.  One of these was literally a housecleaning of the workshop that might be partially noticeable in the above picture.  This tidying up also included installing 10 dozen or so functional copper wire bolts with epoxy to further secure the main deck beams and knees.  One of these is being installed in the next picture.

post-570-0-59861100-1415036599_thumb.jpg

There are two at the end of each beam – one through the beam into the clamp and one through the beam into the hanging knee.  The other task was to apply wax finish to all of the structure from the middle deck up to just below the main deck beams.  This cannot be done easily after the ledges are installed. 

The deck framing has not been sanded at this stage as might be noticed.  This will be done once after all of the ledges are installed.

Ed

Ed, on reflection, I suppose water stored in a metal tank is no worse, and probably better, than water stored in wooden casks in the hold. But one cannot help but think how ripe that tank would be after a number of trans-continental trips. I wonder how they freshened the tank.... How was the water filled, and was there a drainage method?

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have found very little information on these tanks.  It is quite possible, perhaps even probable, that they were lead-lined.  J L Mott offered this feature in the prefabricated iron tanks and lead was used routinely on potable water service.  This would reduce contamination from rust and scale.  No doubt the tanks could be emptied, possibly by draining into the hold to be pumped out by the bilge pumps or perhaps they could be pumped out directly.  They may not have been emptied, only topped up, with freshening dependent on the usage rate.  8000 gallons is not a huge amount - one typical tank truck today.  On a 120 day voyage, assuming 50 people, this would amount to about 6 quarts per day.  Considering cooking and possible bathing, this is not a huge amount.  I assume they were filled by pumping from quayside carriers or from gravity fed sources.

Most of this is supposition.

Ed

Edited by EdT

While not directly related to clipper ships the following passage from The Wooden World, by N.A.M. Rodger, proves interesting. "Men at sea, like men on shore, did not drink water, which was unpleasant and unsafe. The ships carried a great deal of water, but if possible it was used only for cooking. On long passages and on foreign stations men drank watered wine (in the proportion of 8 to 1) or watered spirits (in the proportion of 16 to 1) but in home waters they drank beer alone." I highly recommend this paperback for a fascinating look at life in the Georgian Navy.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks for that input, Greg.  It was, of course, an earlier period but practices may well have persisted.  No doubt that we would not drink the stored water - unchlorinated, lead or iron contaminated and from what source? 

I am sure that the benefits of copious quantities of alcohol were useful in numbing the senses of crews and keeping them manageable - they were in both periods often impressed into service and the life was pretty grim even for the willing.  This was especially true in the later clipper years when other opportunities in the gold fields or in westward migration drained the pool of volunteers.  Hence the term "Shanghaied."  I continue to read what is available - non-fiction and also some good fictional resources (Conrad, Dana) on the clipper period.  It is by no means as well documented as the early RN.  In the mean time what we have is a need for some speculation.

Suggestions on good sources for the period are most welcome.

Ed

I found a very interesting book on Alibris - "The Way of a Ship - a square-rigger voyage in the last days of sail" by Derek Lundy.  It's the story of the author's great-great uncle and his journey from Liverpool to the west coast of North America, around Cape Horn in 1885, as a member of the crew of a four-masted barque.  

This is the synopsis from Alibris: "Based partly on the experiences of his great great uncle, an Irish sailor, Lundy recreates the voyage of a merchant sailing ship around Cape Horn in the 1880s. His masterful account reminds readers what Melville and Conrad expressed so well: that the sea voyage is an overarching metaphor for life itself. Photos & illustrations throughout."  (my paperback copy had no photos).  Interestingly there are 10 copies listed, each at $0.99 - well worth it.

Frank